Stuck on turbo boost speed - A515-51G-84SN

brunohrbarros
brunohrbarros Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

Hey guyz!

I`ve bought an Aspire A515-51G-84SN. The base clock is 1,8 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4,0 GHz.
But when my laptop is idle, my CPU stucks at 3,9 GHz.
I have Balanced power plan, set up maximum performance to 90%, no running background aplications, but nothing happed.
So I`ve installed throttlestop and checked Speed Shift - EPP - 128 - SST (green), and now it's ok! 0,8Ghz while idle.

Is there any other solution to this problem? 
In support page there is a BIOS update:
1. Microcode update.
2. Update VBIOS for NV_17S_G0(V86.08.2D.00.41)、NV_17S_G2(V86.08.2D.00.42).
3. Update Intel ME Firmware 11.8.55.3510.
4. Add SCCM solution.
5. Change touch pad mode from basic to advance for linux sku.

Is it safe to upgrade? Is it compatible with my laptop version?

Thanks!!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,180 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Are there any background services or programs that are demanding more from the processor? About uefi, it is not recommended to upgrade. It should only be updated when really needed.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Are there any background services or programs that are demanding more from the processor? About uefi, it is not recommended to upgrade. It should only be updated when really needed.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

I will monitor for background services so
  • Did you solve the problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

Did you solve the problem?
    Not yet... without Throttlestop Speed Shift option CPU speed will not decrease while idle.
    It shows on Task Manager 1% of use, but CPU Speed 3.8GHz
    I didn`t see any service or background app using CPU yet
    Is there a program to monitor CPU usage, to get some log or something like that?

• The same problem occurs with the battery and when you put it in power save mode? High performance mode will always use the processor to its fullest.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

The same problem occurs with the battery and when you put it in power save mode? High performance mode will always use the processor to its fullest.

No! I`ve done this test this afternoon, until full discharge.
    When unplugged my clock speed while idle was 0,7-0,9 Ghz.
    I didn`t change my power plan, it was still on Balanced Mode.
    I guess power plan modes aren't working properly when connected to a power source.

• What is the version of windows 10? 1803, 1809 or 1903? Also, have you tried restoring windows? Importantly, the notebook increases performance when it is connected to the power adapter.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

What is the version of windows 10? 1803, 1809 or 1903? Also, have you tried restoring windows? Importantly, the notebook increases performance when it is connected to the power adapter.

It`s 1903 (18362.267) version. 
    I restored, but had no changes.
    I did`t do a clean install, just used Restore function with Alt + F10.

If the notebook inscreases performance when connected to a power source, so there isn`t anything I could do on Windows configuration to change this, right? 
    The only problem is the CPU fan, it`s really anoying get it on every time.

• Check for any programs or services that might make higher processor utilization and disable:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

Check for any programs or services that might make higher processor utilization and disable:

I tried to disable all services.
    CPU clock keeps the same, at turbo speed even when I`m not using the laptop.
    I will keep using throttlestop for while.
    Maybe some one with the same problem will figure out what`s happening.

Thank you very much!
  • This could be some problem with the drivers! Have you tried updating drivers on intel and nvidia websites?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

Yes! I updated through Windows Update, Intel Driver & Support Assistant and NVIDIA Geforce Experience.
  • When you turn off throttlestop and put the notebook into power save mode in power options, does the clock decrease?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

No, nothing happens. It will only decrease in power save mode if I disconnect from a power source.
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited July 2019
    Have you tried resetting the internal battery?
    Also, what is the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

Não tentei esse reset ainda. 

A versão da BIOS é 1.21 (08/08/18)
  • Version 1.21 is for mx130 video cards only and not for mx150 video card. Did you upgrade to version 1.21 or did it come factory installed?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

Factory installed. I didn`t updated my BIOS.
  • When you pressed alt + f10, did you select the option that erases files from the hard drive?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brunohrbarros

Tinkerer

Yes! I didn't have any files, so I did a clean install