Acer nitro 5 overheating, does somebody have a solution?(AN515-54-79EL )

Options
DS001
DS001 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Model Name: AN515-54-79EL
Part Number: NH.Q5BED.072
Spec
gpu:1660 ti 6gb
cpu:i7-9750h
system: Windows 10 Home

Bought this laptop few days ago. When I played assassin's creed origins, the temperature for the processor went up to 95 C. The temperature for the gpu was normal though, about 75 C i think. Does somebody have solution for the problem, except using the thermal paste cause the warranty.

Btw, I have heard that nitro 5 can take higher temperature, than other gaming laptop, without damage the component, is this true?

Best Answer

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    andylb said:
    tobimaru said:
    Replacing the thermal paste is the most effective solution. You will have to decide what the warranty is worth to you? 

Undervolting the CPU is probably the next step after the repaste to lower temperatures.

CoolBoost helps to cool the laptop by incrasing fan RPM. I've never come across a scenario where more cooling and better airflow made temperatures worse. In the time I had an Acer Nitro 5, I had CoolBoost enabled 100% of the time. The laptop lives on with a friend, who also uses the CoolBoost feature.
    @tobimaru Neither had I until I read this thread https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/697660#Comment_697660
    I've unfortunately read that too and while that user is convinced they understand their laptop and CoolBoost they are making false assumptions as to the reason their temperatures are affected. This is very simple. More airflow equals better cooling. The laws of physics don't change per laptop.

DS001 said:I just bought this laptop few days ago, so i assume the original thermal paste in laptop is still working. Does it means the thermal paste that acer are using is bad?
    In short, yes! All over the forum people are re-pasting because the factory thermal paste is inferior to what you can get on the market today. This is the case with nearly ALL laptop brands. Take your pick.
    Hundreds if not thousands of people successfully repaste laptops every year. In fact, manufacturers now offer "performance" thermal paste as an upgradable option because they KNOW people want more thermal conductivity and lower temperatures on premium laptops.

The Acer Nitro 5 is a budget gaming laptop in all respects. It has good features, but the default thermal paste is NOT one of them. It is easily replacable, and the main reason you will see bad temperatures. A cooling pad placed below the laptop is a bandaid to a bad thermal paste. You are adding fans, noise, more power consumption, height, weight, and expense to what could all be fixed with a few drops of thermal paste.

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    They are designed to run up to 90deg c with  the occasional spike , make sure your fans are set on max, some have reported that Coolboost actually increases the temperature but I haven't tested it yet and I use a powered Targus cooling mat. If this doesn't help let us know

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• tobimaru
    Options
    Replacing the thermal paste is the most effective solution. You will have to decide what the warranty is worth to you? 

Undervolting the CPU is probably the next step after the repaste to lower temperatures.

CoolBoost helps to cool the laptop by incrasing fan RPM. I've never come across a scenario where more cooling and better airflow made temperatures worse. In the time I had an Acer Nitro 5, I had CoolBoost enabled 100% of the time. The laptop lives on with a friend, who also uses the CoolBoost feature.
  • andylb
    edited July 2019
    Options
    tobimaru said:

@tobimaru Neither had I until I read this thread https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/697660#Comment_697660

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• DS001

Tinkerer

Options
    tobimaru said:

I just bought this laptop few days ago, so i assume the original thermal paste in laptop is still working. Does it means the thermal paste that acer are using is bad?
  • DS001

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    They are designed to run up to 90deg c with  the occasional spike , make sure your fans are set on max, some have reported that Coolboost actually increases the temperature but I haven't tested it yet and I use a powered Targus cooling mat. If this doesn't help let us know
    How many degrees did it decrease by using the cooling pad?
  • tobimaru
    Answer ✓
    Options
    andylb said:
    tobimaru said:

I've unfortunately read that too and while that user is convinced they understand their laptop and CoolBoost they are making false assumptions as to the reason their temperatures are affected. This is very simple. More airflow equals better cooling. The laws of physics don't change per laptop.

DS001 said:I just bought this laptop few days ago, so i assume the original thermal paste in laptop is still working. Does it means the thermal paste that acer are using is bad?
    In short, yes! All over the forum people are re-pasting because the factory thermal paste is inferior to what you can get on the market today. This is the case with nearly ALL laptop brands. Take your pick.
    Hundreds if not thousands of people successfully repaste laptops every year. In fact, manufacturers now offer "performance" thermal paste as an upgradable option because they KNOW people want more thermal conductivity and lower temperatures on premium laptops.

The Acer Nitro 5 is a budget gaming laptop in all respects. It has good features, but the default thermal paste is NOT one of them. It is easily replacable, and the main reason you will see bad temperatures. A cooling pad placed below the laptop is a bandaid to a bad thermal paste. You are adding fans, noise, more power consumption, height, weight, and expense to what could all be fixed with a few drops of thermal paste.
  • DS001

Tinkerer

Options
    tobimaru said:
    andylb said:
    tobimaru said:

Okay, thank you for the answear. I have on more question. Do you know how to disable the keyboard light permanently? It turn on every time I restart my laptop.
  • lovelaptops
    lovelaptops Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    So did you change the thermal paste? Because i have a Nitro 5 with same specs. Mine also runs hot. 
    If you change your thermal paste did you also change your thermal pads?
  • andylb
    Options
    So did you change the thermal paste? Because i have a Nitro 5 with same specs. Mine also runs hot. 
    If you change your thermal paste did you also change your thermal pads?

Please start a new topic of your own for your question giving your exact model number for example AN515-** and details of your problem including temperature reached and what you were doing at that time. This way you will get a more accurate response 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• K0de
    K0de Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited March 2020
    Options
    DS001 said:
    Spec

Bought this laptop few days ago. When I played assassin's creed origins, the temperature for the processor went up to 95 C. The temperature for the gpu was normal though, about 75 C i think. Does somebody have solution for the problem, except using the thermal paste cause the warranty.

Btw, I have heard that nitro 5 can take higher temperature, than other gaming laptop, without damage the component, is this true?
    Hey bub,
    not sure if you caught my post on another section but I will post here for you.

i have the Nitro 5
    i5 9th gen
    16gig ram
    1650 gtx

i myself had temp issues but just know that as long as you don’t go over 95 (sustainable) you are fine.. laptops are built to withstand more heat. So if your cpu temp peaks at 90-95c dont freak out. I run VR off my nitro and let me tell you, you will never have heat issues until you run VR... I solved my heating issue by the following steps.

thermal repast 
    undervolt cpu -160 offset
    Cooling pad
    desktop fan

the fan is to blow more colder air under the pad to give it much colder airflow.
    i used Intel extreme tuning utility to undervolt. I can now play VR without nervously checking my temp every 5 minutes now.. 
    If you repast, just be sure to remove the battery first and touch something metal before going to town on your opened laptop..
  • ShantX7
    ShantX7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2020
    Options
    K0de said:
    DS001 said:
    Spec

Hey bub,
    not sure if you caught my post on another section but I will post here for you.

i have the Nitro 5
    i5 9th gen
    16gig ram
    1650 gtx

i myself had temp issues but just know that as long as you don’t go over 95 (sustainable) you are fine.. laptops are built to withstand more heat. So if your cpu temp peaks at 90-95c dont freak out. I run VR off my nitro and let me tell you, you will never have heat issues until you run VR... I solved my heating issue by the following steps.

thermal repast 
    undervolt cpu -160 offset
    Cooling pad
    desktop fan

the fan is to blow more colder air under the pad to give it much colder airflow.
    i used Intel extreme tuning utility to undervolt. I can now play VR without nervously checking my temp every 5 minutes now.. 
    If you repast, just be sure to remove the battery first and touch something metal before going to town on your opened laptop..
    Hey man u gave alot of good informations
    speaking of vr 
    can i play vr on high settings ? 
    i mean i can tweak the card a little bit 
    i’m looking to buy nitro 5 with gtx1650,intel i7,8gb ram and 512gb storage (sd type) 
    this is the cheapest laptop in my country ($1300) to run decent vr  
    i heard it runs good with medium settings 
    and i don’t think i’ll be happy,i mean the least i expect from gtx 1650 is to run on high settings, else i rather save up and buy the one that will make me happy