Can we use Acer Nitro 5 as a gaming laptop? As it overheat very rapidly.

Options
abhishekmongra
abhishekmongra Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Sir/Ma'am i brought my acer nito 5 laptop in nov 2018. It gets rapidly heat as games starts lagging.
so, is acer nitro 5 is a gaming laptop? and if it is then why its overheating again and again.

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Yes you can it is designed for gaming. Nitro and Predator are designed to run hot, anything below 90degC is OK with the occasional spike. You could repaste your CPU with Grizzly 
    https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-00A9-00013?item=9SIA4RE6M28090&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-corn+electronics-_-cpu+thermal+paste+%2f+grease-_-9SIA4RE6M28090&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3PLnBRCpo8PCoaGM99MBEiQAppRuCxgJjJpc5HSPkgESVNtFIYr__XHHgvy20XGkBgy1SBUaAiOw8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
    That should bring it down about 10 deg but beware if you are outside the USA it will void your warranty. Keep Nitrosense on Max with Coolboost. I use a Targus cooling pad with it's own built in Fans which are powered thru the USB port. If you do all this you should get about a 15deg reduction on your CPU which will bring it well within range. Try this before underclocking and losing performance. Let us know how it goes

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jaydee700xx
    Jaydee700xx Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hey I wanted to share my experience, the short way anyways. I have the nitro 5 with the NVIDIA 1050 4gb, have 8gb RAM stock with more on the way, but I kept finding I could run certain games at high or even some settings on ultra on some games and that the laptop could handle it with anything from 50-60 plus FPS but got the overheating issue too. Re-pasted with better paste and got 5 degrees celcius off here and there plus and minus a bit. It was well worth the experience, which was about 45 minutes being extra careful, but it didn't do anything drastic. Well today I solved the issue, for myself anyways. I once again was able to turn up some settings and now run around 80 degrees celsius instead of 90 plus! How? I SHUT OFF COOL BOOST. I use a cheap super slow running laptop "cooling pad" ( quotes because the air flow is really minimal but who knows), however I think coolboost causes much more problems than it solves. I couldn't believe what it did for me. TBH Acer needs to address it and they have a patent on coolboost like its a miracle. Next time add a dang millimeter of extra space and give the cooling system better materials. My fans were always running almost at max on decent or high settings which the laptop was more than capable of handling. You have a patent on something that gives your product poor performance when it's performance intended..... hmm. Maybe Acer can test out some nitro's and get back to us because I see this is the NUMBER ONE issue with this laptop and seems like on a car scale would be a re-call type thing they'd have to fix. I set the fans to AUTO on Nitro sense which for over an hour or so kept testing temps on with GTA V and high or very high settings, FXAA, Shadows on High or very high, Population density etc. It looks absolutely incrdible. Another game I was playing, not sure why but it was kind of fun, which again looked amazing at first but was hitting 90 degrees C again, was Ring of Elsyium. Now it runs cool, WITHOUT COOLBOST!.............. spread the word guys., I run games that were hitting 90 with a re-paste around 80 now. No more Extreme Fan noise that apparently creates more heat...