USB does not work on ACER NITRO (AN515-51)

2»

Answers

• domdom
    domdom Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

The driver, you provided me requested a restart, so I did. After the laptop restart, it re-opened the installer to "finish it's job". Then this popped up. I pressed OK, opened the device manager and noticed, that the "detection verification" error is gone, even though, I thought, that the driver installation failed. I mean, ok... But the USB xAHCI is still there, how do I solve it?
  • Did you check if the usbs ports are rusted?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited June 2019
    egydiocoelho>>>Did you check if the usbs ports are rusted?>>>

It would likely be the port connections to the mainboard that have a corrosion issue. The laptop would have to be opened up to access the ports connections, some of which may be able to be reseated a dozen or so times to try to clean them up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• domdom
    If you guys are talking about the ribbon (cable), I personally think, that it's fine. The laptop has 4 USBs in total. 1x USB-c, 1x USB 3.0 and 2x USB 2.0.
    The ribbon cable which connects to the laptop's motherboard (image attached below what I'm talking about) is functioning. It gives power. The problem is, that the data is not being read. It gives out power (charges a powerbank, a phone, lights up LEDs), but it just won't read any data. And all of them do, including the 3.0 and USB-c ports. But they just don't want to read the data from the device, it's like the drivers would be missing, even it's not missing and I know that for sure. Problem is, probably with the motherboard, but I don't know where should I even look for the solution... I mean, if the board (i'm talking about the board in the picture below) is connected to the motherboard and it gives out power, it should work, right? But, it doesn't. And the USB-C and 3.0 ports are soldered to the motherboard, so I don't even see any ports. Unless... It's below the motherboard itself, and we can't see it.

• domdom
    edit:

and it's not rusty or anything, it's not even an old laptop. Are you sure?
  • When I said "rusty", I mean the word "corrosion"! I know this may not solve the problem, but have you tried resetting the internal battery? Have you tried the tip of fellow jacke?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Since the yellow warning suggests more likely a driver than hardware issue, have we tried DriverBooster or similar freeware yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• domdom
    I tried resetting the battery - nothing.
    Using various driver software to update - nothing.
    Disassembled the laptop, to look inside for a wiring issue (disconnected, cleaned the 2 ports, reconnected again) - nothing.

Nothing worked to be honest. When you are talking about the ports, are you talking the ones, that are connected with a ribbon cable (just like in the picture, that I attached before. Look above to see the picture of the usb board with a cable) or the ones, that are sticked into the motherboard?
  • JackE
    I'm talking about whatever USB port connectors to the mainboard can be removed and reinserted. Meaning not the soldered connections. If nothing seems to work, then the best way to rule in or rule out a mainboard hardware issue is a full erase-everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset as shown in the video below. Sorry. This is obviously major system & driver software surgery so it means backing up all your personal files before attempting it. If a factory reset fails to fix the problem, it is most likely a hardware failure. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• domdom
    Factory reset or whatever reset, none of those helped.
  • JackE
    Sorry, then it's most likely a hardware failure. If you don't feel comfortable opening the laptop to re-seat the accessible USB connectors to the mainboard, then I suggest you use this link for ACER-certified  repair http://customercare.acer-euro.com/customerselfservice/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=UK&LID=ENG&OP=1  or get an estimate from local laptop repair shop https://www.laptopmenders.co.uk/acer-laptop-repair-liverpool.html
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• I agree with colleague JackE!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n0is3r
    n0is3r Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
    domdom said:
    Factory reset or whatever reset, none of those helped.
    domdom said:
    If you guys are talking about the ribbon (cable), I personally think, that it's fine. The laptop has 4 USBs in total. 1x USB-c, 1x USB 3.0 and 2x USB 2.0.
    The ribbon cable which connects to the laptop's motherboard (image attached below what I'm talking about) is functioning. It gives power. The problem is, that the data is not being read. It gives out power (charges a powerbank, a phone, lights up LEDs), but it just won't read any data. And all of them do, including the 3.0 and USB-c ports. But they just don't want to read the data from the device, it's like the drivers would be missing, even it's not missing and I know that for sure. Problem is, probably with the motherboard, but I don't know where should I even look for the solution... I mean, if the board (i'm talking about the board in the picture below) is connected to the motherboard and it gives out power, it should work, right? But, it doesn't. And the USB-C and 3.0 ports are soldered to the motherboard, so I don't even see any ports. Unless... It's below the motherboard itself, and we can't see it.

Same problem here,with my  Nitro AN515-31 , a tried bios upgrade after motherborad C5V01 LA-E892P and nothing :D laptop is workin without usb ports, webcam, bluetooth. 
  • JackE
    As previously mentioned, if a full erase-everything factory reset fails to fix the problem, then it is a likely hardware issue. The prime suspect is the ribbon cables and connectors which also carry the data stream conductor traces not just the power conductor traces. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• n0is3r
    n0is3r Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    As previously mentioned, if a full erase-everything factory reset fails to fix the problem, then it is a likely hardware issue. The prime suspect is the ribbon cables and connectors which also carry the data stream conductor traces not just the power conductor traces. Jack E/NJ
    ok, thanks, you are posting for ranking my friend? :) that you write upstairs done by monthes ago. Thanks for your support.
  • der72
    der72 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    what a ton of BS... issue not solved and i have tried a lot as well.. you never got a solution? id like to know if... 
    and.. like its said. " the road to hell is paved with good intentions"
    .. so much for forums. ;-)
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi der72,

Are you having the same issue.
  • voivodeship
    voivodeship Member Posts: 1 New User
    If you still have the laptop and haven't resolved the issue...

I've noticed that I can't get my USB devices to read on my laptop at times. (Same model)... Not even a simple plug and play USB mouse, let alone an ebook reader or something that has storage.

I've also noticed this only happens when my Bluetooth is disabled on the machine. I turn on Bluetooth and my mouse worked immediately and I could see the storage on my ebook reader.

I don't know if it's a driver, or BIOS or Windows issue (I haven't reformatted since I purchased it in 2019).

Maybe that might help, long shot, but I figured I'd at least share my experience.