Acer Swift 3 - Not Shutting Down Properly, Blue Light Remains

Options
Alex841
Alex841 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 2019 in Switch Series
Hi - Thanks in advance for any help on this. I've had this Swift 3 for 8 months and it's already been in for repairs once. It shut down but jammed on, with the blue light beside the power button remaining on. Nothing would turn it on or off properly. So in it went for repairs. 

About a month after getting it back, a similar problem is back. It doesn't shut down properly. It'll shut down to a point, but the hard drive remains on (I can hear it whirring away) along with the blue light. I can power it off by physically holding the power down button, which I fear is damaging the computer in the long-term. 

I've tried adjusting the Control Panel options, and advanced options, from research I've performed online. That's done nothing. Prior to trying any of those it has managed to shut itself off properly, but that's very rare. 

So before I hand it back in for repairs/full refund, I'm checking on here to see if anyone can help.

Thank you very much! ALex 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    There is likely an app running in the background that isn't playing nice with Windows. When you request a shutdown, sleep or hibernate the OS tells all running apps to do what's needed. It then waits for them to complete. When an app doesn't respond to the request there's a rather long timeout before the OS steps in and kills the process...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Alex841
    Alex841 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Just a note, I came across this: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/456452/laptop-wont-shutdown-or-sleep

It appears to be working for now, the second suggestion. Although I've never had a laaptop take so long to shut down before. So will keep an eye on it.
  • billsey
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    There is likely an app running in the background that isn't playing nice with Windows. When you request a shutdown, sleep or hibernate the OS tells all running apps to do what's needed. It then waits for them to complete. When an app doesn't respond to the request there's a rather long timeout before the OS steps in and kills the process...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Namir4379
    Namir4379 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Alex841 said:
    Hi - Thanks in advance for any help on this. I've had this Swift 3 for 8 months and it's already been in for repairs once. It shut down but jammed on, with the blue light beside the power button remaining on. Nothing would turn it on or off properly. So in it went for repairs. 

About a month after getting it back, a similar problem is back. It doesn't shut down properly. It'll shut down to a point, but the hard drive remains on (I can hear it whirring away) along with the blue light. I can power it off by physically holding the power down button, which I fear is damaging the computer in the long-term. 

I've tried adjusting the Control Panel options, and advanced options, from research I've performed online. That's done nothing. Prior to trying any of those it has managed to shut itself off properly, but that's very rare. 

So before I hand it back in for repairs/full refund, I'm checking on here to see if anyone can help.

Thank you very much! ALex 
    i know im late, but i also have this issue. My laptop is Acer Swift 3 AMD version Ryzen 5 3500u Vega 8.
    Turned out, it was my vega 8 graphic driver issue so,
    I solve it by:

1. go to (Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features) then uninstall AMD software
    2. go to (Control Panel\Device Manager) then double click on display adapter. Then right click on vega 8 and click uninstall
    3. download the latest amd software from Amd driver official website
    4. Restart your computer
    5. Install the latest downloaded Amd driver for vega 8 R5 3500u
    6. problem solved for me
  • Kulanan
    Kulanan Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I have the same problem as you, it is about almost empty CMOS Battery ? noted that mine is core i5
  • billsey
    Options
    Normally a dead or very low CMOS battery shows up as corrupted BIOS settings, especially loss of time and date. It shouldn't have anything to do with shutdown or sleep modes.
  • Kulanan
    Options
    billsey said:
    Normally a dead or very low CMOS battery shows up as corrupted BIOS settings, especially loss of time and date. It shouldn't have anything to do with shutdown or sleep modes.
    ok. i will tell u more about my issue. sometime is problem, sometime is ok. when shutdown the bluelight and fan will not be turn off, wait too long until i have to press power button about 15 second to force it off. Afterthat i press power on button then the laptop on for about 5 second and off itself again and i do repeat step like this another 2 times with the same result until the 4th time, it will be ok become normal. Thereafter when get through in windows the time of my laptop not shown the actual live time but shown the time at previous shutdown with issue. and i also check the bios status, its already goes back to default setting value and  shown the time at previous shutdown issue too. Until i have to manually set it to update live time. So, i have no idea what the problem with this my core i5 gen10 swift 3 sf-314 57g windows 10 pro. Please help me.
  • billsey
    Options
    If the system date and time are being reset each time the system is power cycled, then the CMOS battery is not doing it's job. It sounds as if your machine might be new enough to still be in warranty, if that is the case it would be worthwhile to contact Acer support to have them fix it. It would be very unusual for the battery to fail this quickly, so it might be something wrong with the motherboard itself.
  • Kulanan
    Options
    billsey said:
    If the system date and time are being reset each time the system is power cycled, then the CMOS battery is not doing it's job. It sounds as if your machine might be new enough to still be in warranty, if that is the case it would be worthwhile to contact Acer support to have them fix it. It would be very unusual for the battery to fail this quickly, so it might be something wrong with the motherboard itself.
    Thank you for your suggestion. i think it is too. something wrong with my machine motherboard
  • billsey
    Options
    Let us know what Acer says, and when they get it fixed for you what they said was wrong.
  • Kulanan
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I like to inform all of you that...... my problem has been solved.
  • Kulanan
    Options
    Dear Friends, I just found the solution. Now my laptop is working in normal state by 2 weeks recently. The solution is about the power mode selection. To get rid of this problem, I have changed the additional power settings from "Acer" to "Balanced". Before that, I couldnt remember... Did I ever changed to or selected "Acer" or not? but It is possible that the "Acer" Power Mode should be the cause of this problem.