upgrade? travelmate b117

tindog13
tindog13 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I'm finding I don't get as much use out of my travelmate b117 as I'd hoped, I like everything about it except (my mistake) the 32gb eMMC isn't enough, the drive fills up too quickly and there's nothing I can do to empty it (I save everything to the cloud except programs). I don't particularly want to have to purchase a whole new laptop, is there a way to upgrade to 64gb? Can I buy a 64gb eMMC with Windows installed and install it myself?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    tindog13

You can run the programs from the secondary hard disk. The "Programs" will need to be reinstalled. Either on the SSD or on the HDD. 
    Windows 10 gives you the option of installing programs on another drive. In "All Settings/System/Storage/Change where new content is saved" there are options to save new apps, new documents, new music, new photos, new movies, and offline maps to a location other than C: drive. 
    When you install the programs on the secondary hard drive you may have to use the custom installation option if available. Some programs do not have this option and default to c: drive.

You can install the programs to multiple drives no problem but they do have to be installed by that os. simply moving a drive from another pc and expecting the programs to still work is not how windows handles things. There is a lot more going on than simply the "program files" there are registry entries, dll files and other stuff that need to work together. windows only knows where all this stuff is when it is the one that did the installation and made note of where all the parts are located.

The below listed are the officially listed HDD for this model. There are other models that work fine.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    edited April 2019
    tindog13 
    The eMMC  is soldered and cannot be upgraded. Please check if there is a slot to install hard disk.
    If the slot is available, then you can install a 500 GB / 1 TB 2.5-inch 5400 RPM HDD.

Another option is to install a SD card to store the data or move applications.
    This model supports 
    Supports Secure Digital™ (SD) Card v1.0 / v1.1 / v2.0 / v3.0 UHS-I
    Supports SDHC / SDXC /MSXC
    Supports 32GB maximum capacity (for SDHC only) / 2TB maximum capacity (for SDXC & MSXC only)

• tindog13

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    Yeah, there is, but I don't think it will help... unless I'm mistaken, programs won't run from there? It's just storage?
  • Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    tindog13

You can run the programs from the secondary hard disk. The "Programs" will need to be reinstalled. Either on the SSD or on the HDD. 
    Windows 10 gives you the option of installing programs on another drive. In "All Settings/System/Storage/Change where new content is saved" there are options to save new apps, new documents, new music, new photos, new movies, and offline maps to a location other than C: drive. 
    When you install the programs on the secondary hard drive you may have to use the custom installation option if available. Some programs do not have this option and default to c: drive.

You can install the programs to multiple drives no problem but they do have to be installed by that os. simply moving a drive from another pc and expecting the programs to still work is not how windows handles things. There is a lot more going on than simply the "program files" there are registry entries, dll files and other stuff that need to work together. windows only knows where all this stuff is when it is the one that did the installation and made note of where all the parts are located.

The below listed are the officially listed HDD for this model. There are other models that work fine.

• tindog13

Tinkerer

Okay, great, I will give it a try, thanks.
  • tindog13

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    Okay, so it's installed and it works, but of course it doesn't do what I'd hoped. I've tried using Junction to have to program on the resident drive but all the work done on the new drive, but that doesn't seem to help much. I'm wondering now if I can clone the drive the OS and migrate it to the new drive. Just trying to avoid buying a whole new laptop.
  • apgr
    apgr Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    does the hdd have any screws or does it just lie in there? i have an emmc model and want to add an ssd and i dont know if i will need some kind of cage or caddie for it, since i dont see any holes for screws. 
    could someone please show me a picture of the door open and hdd in/out?
  • apgr
    apgr Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    i made a new topic for this which also has a useful reply: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/836978