Reset This PC *not working*

MMK360
MMK360 Member Posts: 33

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
No options including the *Reset This PC* options from the recovery manager works on my Aspire TC-885-UR19. I do not have another computer to download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. I am not going to spend $45 for the Acer erecovery thumb drive at the Acer store since I may as well upgrade to Win10 Pro if I were. 

The Recovery Manager does however give me access to an MS-DOS command prompt. If there is a WIN 10 ISO file on the HD of the TC-885, what is the directory path to it? I might be able to copy it either onto a DVD or USB Drive.

It would be totally awesome if I could actually run the ISO from that command prompt but things just don't work that easily. I believe I should be able to format either a DVD or USB in bootable form from that command prompt. Just forgot how since it has been years since using DOS for much. X replaces C as the system drive letter in command prompt mode. I don't know what letters the format command uses for other drives like DVD and USB.

Answers

• You can use these two options:
    a) the windows start fresh defend;

b) or reinstalling windows 10 itself using restore:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MMK360

Tinkerer

In my orginal post, I stated that "I do not have another computer to download the ISO from Microsoft". If I could download it from the computer I created this thread about, then I could certainly do what you suggested, as well as create an ISO, run a system repair, or just simply download the ISO from Microsoft and many other options from inside Windows 10 rather than create this thread.
  • Have you ever tried to press alt + f10 before the Acerw logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MMK360

Tinkerer

Yes. It gives me a message to contact the PC manufacturer if I don't have recovery as well as other option that I have already tried like entering BIOS. If I had recovery media, I would not be here.

If I could just get the file directory path to the WIN 10 ISO image if there is one on the hard drive that Recovery Manager and other utilities use as I asked for in the OP, that might solve my problem in the fastest way available to me.
  • What is the error that is appearing on the screen? no bootable device or something?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MMK360

Tinkerer

The recovery manager loads automatically on boot up and attenpts  a system repair that always fails. Every option I can select after that also fails including *Reset this PC* like I stated in the original post. I need to reinstall the operating system which I cannot do without an ISO file.

I don't mean to be rude but if you do not know the answer to the question of where it is on the hard drive (file path) that I keep asking for and get ignored, please do not respond. I am sorry but it is neccessary to request this because if you are the last person to respond in this thread rather than me, no one else who might know the answer is likely to post it here.
  • In "Reset this pc", is there an option to erase the hard drive?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MMK360

Tinkerer

No. There is no option to erase the hard drive. My only options are: 1)Factory reset keeping my files, 2a) total factory reset losing my files, 2b) same as 2a but with a more thorough wipe that makes information recovery impossible if trashing the computer.

I am out of options without a Windows 10 ISO file. Again, if you cannot or will not give me the file path to it that Acer and or Microsoft utilities use, please do not respond further so there is a better chance that someone who knows the answer will respond.
  • There is one thing you can try to do! Go to the command prompt and type notepad.exe! Then plug an external hd and copy all your files to hd! This way, you can use this option without risk of losing your files "total factory reset losing my files"
    In addition, you can also try to use these commands at the command prompt, to try to recover the windows boot partition, see: https://medium.com/@hetmansoftware/how-to-restore-the-structure-of-deleted-efi-partitions-in-windows-653a68b5c09f
    No need to use a windows 10 pendrive! You can use the command prompt that is available. However, it is a risky procedure and I first advise you to use the notepad.exe command to save your files!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MMK360

Tinkerer

I tried the reset my pc -- losing my files option as well as the keep my files option and it didn't work either. I tried everything. I need access to the ISO file from the command prompt.

The link won't help unless I have the utility disk or a bootable USB drive. I have neither but maybe I can buy and bootable format a USB drive. I do have an extra HD to put the ISO file I keep asking for on if need be but would rather not open up the case.

• In recovery options, does not this appear?
    If it does, you will not need to use a USB stick with the iso from Microsoft!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MMK360

Tinkerer

Yes, it does appear. That is what I have been saying. I can use that. The only problem I have is that I don't have a computer to download it from. I am using my phone to post here.

If I can just get the same or similar file off my hard drive that Acer uses , I can use that command prompt.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019
    If you are still with the original windows, it seems to me that this is the folder that recovers windows, see:

However, I've never installed windows this way! The path is this: C:\ Recovery\OEM

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MMK360

Tinkerer

That is exactly the question I've been asking. Thank you for answering it. 

Unfortunately, the command prompt you showed me in an earlier post doesn't allow me to CD X:\Recovery\OEM

Can you try it from recovery manager to see if it works?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

It won't hurt to contact microsoft.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • In this case, you should know the correct path on your device by opening notepad.exe, see:
    The problem is that this folder may be hidden!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MMK360

Tinkerer

In this case, you should know the correct path on your device by opening notepad.exe, see:

The problem is that this folder may be hidden!
    It appears to be hidden. I guess I'd have to change volume attributes in diskpart?
  • Would not it be better to download an iso from Microsoft? There is no way you can download iso this way in a lan house?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I would be tempted to put a bit more effort into recovering the existing install, since it won't let you get all the way into the OS. From that command prompt try first a chkdsk /R C:, that will try to repair any errors on the disk as well as scan for bad sectors. It will take a long time, so best to start it and leave running overnight. If that doesn't get you back to booting get into that same command prompt and try sfc /scannow, that will check for corrupted system files and try to correct them. If that still doesn't work try DISM as shown here. In most cases if you can boot to the recovery environment (which is where you are getting) you can correct things enough to at least boot in clean mode. Once booted you can do the ISO download and reinstall if needed. If you decide to go the reinstall route then make sure you pull all the Acer drivers down for your OS version (Win10 64bit I assume).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MMK360

Tinkerer

Would not it be better to download an iso from Microsoft? There is no way you can download iso this way in a lan house?

No LAN. It is a home computer. I have no other computer. Otherwise, that is what I'd do. Using my phone.