Subject: RAM Upgrade. Laptop: Acer Travelmate TMP253-M. Can anyone advise on a RAM upgrade?

TURBOTEC
TURBOTEC Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I have an additional 4GB RAM strip, trying to improve to 8GB (4+4).  Both of the RAM strips have the same manufacturer and model number and work individually, each in slot 'A'.  When I then add the second RAM card to slot 'B', the machine will not start.  This indicates to me that slot 'B' is not active or that I need to program slot 'B' to regognize the newly added RAM strip. Can anyone advise on this please?  The Travelmate was originally bought with Win7 Pro OS but "free" upgraded to Win10 Pro in 2016 (or 2017).  Everything else is as original (Intel i3/chipset, WD 500GB HDD etc.).
Thank you

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning TURBOTEC !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    Example: TMP253-M-6834

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• TURBOTEC
    Dear MaClane,

Many thanks for responding.   The model number is   TMP253-M-33114G50Maks.
    Sincerely hope you can help!
    Best regards,
    TURBOTEC
  • MaClane
    Good Morning !

This model supports up to 8Gb of RAM (in 2 slots 2x4Gb) SO-DIMM DDR3 1066/1333/1600Mhz 1.5v

There is no way to "program" the slots.
    All are factory functional.
    Or the memory bank is defective or incompatible with your existing one.
    Are the specifications the same as I told you?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• TURBOTEC
    Hi MaClane,
    Individually, each 4GB RAM card works when placed in slot A.  So I know that both RAM cards work.  When slot A is occupied and the other working card is added to slot B then this is when the laptop will not start.  So somehow, adding a working card to slot B stops everything.  Also, if I place the working RAM only in slot B, again, the laptop will not start up.  Does this indicate that slot B is defective?  Each of the RAM cards have exactly the same manufacturer and serial.  I have tried to cover all angles and combinations but no joy so far.
    Thank you again,
    TURBOTEC
  • MaClane
    In this case the ideal is to be with a third memory bank.
    If the slot does not work, it may be that it is defective or it is only with resistances.
    A cleaning handle with blender and brush can solve.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    This is a dual-channel-capable machine. They are sometimes sensitive and require a matched pair of identical modules for both slots to work properly. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ