I cannot remove the sim card slot from Acer Swift 3 laptop - Acer SF313-51

MT88875
MT88875 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
To whom it may concern,
I currently own the laptop model SF313-51 which came with a thin insertion tool for ejecting the sim card slot/tray. I have placed a micro sd card and a nano sim card in the card slot. However, when I try to take out the card slot with the thin tool given, it does not go out very far (as shown in the image attached) no matter how hard I push the tool into the insertion hole. As a result, I now cannot remove the sim card slot even when using my nails or tweezers. Despite this, the laptop detects the micro sd card with no problem. I want to remove the micro sd card so there a way to eject the sim card slot without disassembling my laptop? Thanks in advance.

Regards
Matthew

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately, according to the disassembly flowchart below, the  SIM/SD tray must be removed first. I've attached the flowchart and procedures below. Let your local repair shop know if the machine is still under warranty so they can use their judgment in trying not to void the warranty if they have to remove the bottom 'D' cover. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Gently push the card into the slot with the tool. While still applying pressure from the tool to keep the card pushed in, slide the tool toward the depression (encircled in red below). While still applying pressure, slip the tool into the depression so the card actually snaps off the tool. It should  pop further out the slot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MT88875

Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply, but just for clarification, what type of card do I need to use? A sd card or a normal plastic card?
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    You should be able to insert either phone SIM or microSD cards They all look like they're encased in plastic. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MT88875

Tinkerer

To let you know, the sim card and micro sd card is already inside the card slot. What I want to do is to take the card slot out of the laptop so I can take out the micro sd card. Thanks 
  • JackE
    Gently insert a paper clip into the pin hole. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MT88875

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    Unfortunately your suggestion did not work as the slot was still stuck (as seen in the images) no matter how much I shook the paper clip. Is it possible that the micro sd card is misaligned even though the laptop can read it?

• JackE
    edited April 2019
    Your paper clip is too fat and bent!!!! You need a slimmer paper clip that will fit inside the hole. The clip is not shaken. It's inserted and gently pushed into the hole until the sim/sd tray slides out. It should not take much pressure. Don't force it out by pressing too hard. If you can't get it out, take it to a local computer repair shop and let them take it out. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MT88875

Tinkerer

I will probably take the laptop to my local computer repair shop so they can take it out. I previously used the two tools below (one of them came with the laptop) to try to remove the card slot from my laptop. However, no matter how many times I pushed the sharp end into the pinhole, the slot only slid out 3mm at the most.

• JackE
    >>> the slot only slid out 3mm at the most>>>

Perhaps a sharp pin pressed into the top of the tray could be used to drag it out. Sounds like the tray is somehow a bit too wide or thick for the slot. Maybe warped a bit? Perhaps a replacement tray is needed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MT88875

Tinkerer

I used your suggestion of pressing a sharp pin into the top of the tray. However, the tray did not go any further than 3mm as usual. The wierd thing is that I was able to remove the laptop's card tray for the first 2 times. I will see what the person at my local computer repair shop thinks when he/she checks the issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • JackE
    >>>The wierd thing is that I was able to remove the laptop's card tray for the first 2 times.>>>

Yes, the tray is a great idea that seems to eliminate the inconvenience of having to pull the cover off to access to the sim slot. But it's still bleeding-edge tech that apparently has some room for design refinement to eliminate the same inconvenience. I think your repair shop should be able to get the tray out without any damage to the tray, the port or the cards. But I suspect the refinement needed to help prevent it from happening again won't be immediately obvious.  :s   Jack E/NJ              

Jack E/NJ

• MT88875

Tinkerer

i went to my local computer repair shop so they could check the problem. The person ran into the same problem as me so he said that they might need to undo/remove the screws underneath. However, I did not immediately send the laptop in for repair as I had somewhere to go to shortly after. When I give the laptop in for repair next time, is it okay/safe for him to undo/remove the screws? Thanks.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately, according to the disassembly flowchart below, the  SIM/SD tray must be removed first. I've attached the flowchart and procedures below. Let your local repair shop know if the machine is still under warranty so they can use their judgment in trying not to void the warranty if they have to remove the bottom 'D' cover. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MT88875

Tinkerer

Would the card tray snap or break off if they took the bottom cover off first? I bought my laptop in mid-February so the laptop is still under warranty.

Regards
    Matthew
  • JackE
    I'd be more concerned about the mainboard slot than the tray it goes into. If they can't get the tray out, perhaps they can push it in further so it clears the hole in the bottom cover enough to get the cover off. If they run into problems getting tray or cover off, and can't determine why the tray got stuck to begin with, warranty service should be promptly arranged. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MT88875

Tinkerer

Ok, I will give the repair shop this information when I give the laptop in for repair..
  • mohitme379
    mohitme379 Member Posts: 3 New User
    MT88875 said:
    To whom it may concern,
    I currently own the laptop model SF313-51 which came with a thin insertion tool for ejecting the sim card slot/tray. I have placed a micro sd card and a nano sim card in the card slot. However, when I try to take out the card slot with the thin tool given, it does not go out very far (as shown in the image attached) no matter how hard I push the tool into the insertion hole. As a result, I now cannot remove the sim card slot even when using my nails or tweezers. Despite this, the laptop detects the micro sd card with no problem. I want to remove the micro sd card so there a way to eject the sim card slot without disassembling my laptop? Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Matthew

Bro I am having the same problem with my swift 3, can you help me ! If you were able to took out the sim tray ?
  • MT88875

Tinkerer

Hi mohitme379,
    I took my Acer Swift 3 to a local computer repair shop and they removed the sim card tray for me at a cheap cost.

Regards
    Matthew
  • mohitme379
    Thanks buddy...!!
    Appreciate it..

• mohitme379
    How much battery life are you getting with it !!!
    the company says 13 hours but mine acer swift 3 not lasts for even 8 hours...