next@acer 2020

ACER NITRO 5 I5 8300H POWER LIMIT THROTTLE

karatzuchekaratzuche Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

edited March 2019 in Nitro and Aspire Gaming
Hi,
started using intel XTU for undervolt as my temps ar too high(over 90). With -90 undervolted both core and cache i see that my system hitting Power Limit Throttle very often. What can i do to fix that ?

FAQ & Answers

• karatzuchekaratzuche Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

Also, is 753 benchmark scoer good for i5 8300h?
  • ven98ven98 ACE Posts: 4,076 Pathfinder
    753 is quite low for this CPU. Is the CPU still thermal throttling during the cinebench run, while undervolted? There is no way to prevent power limit throttling, but you can probably undervolt a bit more, which will reduce the throttling.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• karatzuchekaratzuche Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

with -110mv it isnt thermal throttling in benchmark and games (<88 celsius in games), but the performance really low i think in apex all on low,  70 fps out of fight, 50 in fight. (gtx 1050 4gb, 8gb ram, 480ssd)
  • Scottyat5Scottyat5 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    My ASUS TUF FX504GD-ES51 i5-8300H with GTX 1050.  PL 1 was 25W but somehow got to 28W and PL 2 is 45W.  XTU or ThrottleStop are not running. In Control Panel via Power Options with High Performance selected run at 3.9GHz. My Cinebench R20 score is quite low and below what Cinebench has for pre-existing i5-8300H. Using XTU and under volt to -125mv then the CPU freq. runs at 2.9GHz to 3.1GHz but my score improves by a lot in Cinebench R20. However, for a short duration when very first starting the benchmark, a temperature spike occurs causing Thermal Throttle so the CPU never regains the proper TDP or 45W to reach 3.9GHz. All I know, core temperatures remain between 77c to 80c and does not matter if using Power Options or ThrottleStop / XTU.  You can run XTU in benchmarks to obtain a better score but in games you lose/ sacrifice 4 to 10 FPS or possibly more. To be polite, manufacturers are giving us the shaft. They can not make a laptop capable of dissipating the heat so they cheat you of performance.  Make the chassis larger and larger heat sinks and put in 4 fans. 2 fans per GPU and CPU as one for air intake and other as exhaust just as we do for desktops. It's alive, the laptop can breathe, inhale and exhale.