ACER NITRO 5 I5 8300H POWER LIMIT THROTTLE

karatzuche
karatzuche Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
started using intel XTU for undervolt as my temps ar too high(over 90). With -90 undervolted both core and cache i see that my system hitting Power Limit Throttle very often. What can i do to fix that ?

Answers

• karatzuche

Tinkerer

Also, is 753 benchmark scoer good for i5 8300h?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    753 is quite low for this CPU. Is the CPU still thermal throttling during the cinebench run, while undervolted? There is no way to prevent power limit throttling, but you can probably undervolt a bit more, which will reduce the throttling.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• karatzuche

Tinkerer

with -110mv it isnt thermal throttling in benchmark and games (<88 celsius in games), but the performance really low i think in apex all on low,  70 fps out of fight, 50 in fight. (gtx 1050 4gb, 8gb ram, 480ssd)
  • Scottyat5
    Scottyat5 Member Posts: 35 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    My ASUS TUF FX504GD-ES51 i5-8300H with GTX 1050.  PL 1 was 25W but somehow got to 28W and PL 2 is 45W.  XTU or ThrottleStop are not running. In Control Panel via Power Options with High Performance selected run at 3.9GHz. My Cinebench R20 score is quite low and below what Cinebench has for pre-existing i5-8300H. Using XTU and under volt to -125mv then the CPU freq. runs at 2.9GHz to 3.1GHz but my score improves by a lot in Cinebench R20. However, for a short duration when very first starting the benchmark, a temperature spike occurs causing Thermal Throttle so the CPU never regains the proper TDP or 45W to reach 3.9GHz. All I know, core temperatures remain between 77c to 80c and does not matter if using Power Options or ThrottleStop / XTU.  You can run XTU in benchmarks to obtain a better score but in games you lose/ sacrifice 4 to 10 FPS or possibly more. To be polite, manufacturers are giving us the shaft. They can not make a laptop capable of dissipating the heat so they cheat you of performance.  Make the chassis larger and larger heat sinks and put in 4 fans. 2 fans per GPU and CPU as one for air intake and other as exhaust just as we do for desktops. It's alive, the laptop can breathe, inhale and exhale.

• Scottyat5
    Scottyat5 Member Posts: 35 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    with -110mv it isnt thermal throttling in benchmark and games (<88 celsius in games), but the performance really low i think in apex all on low,  70 fps out of fight, 50 in fight. (gtx 1050 4gb, 8gb ram, 480ssd)
    When Thermal and Power Throttling is limited or somewhat prevented as in Undervolting your CPU by -125mv, your CPU Frequency drops lets say 3.9GHz to 3.2GHz but you also decrease the temperature that is dissipated from the CPU so your lap is not on fire or burning your fingertips. Because the CPU frequency drops you lose processing data time resulting in a drop of gaming FPS.  Best thing to do is go to windows Control Panel in Power Options select the profile High Performance.  Your CPU will run at Turbo Speed, then change the Fan setting to run either at Auto or Maximum to keep your laptop a bit cooler.  Using Intel Extreme Utility Tool, ThrottleStop, or likes of Alienware Command Center to undervolt your CPU is nonsense. Problem is Intel can not manufacture a CPU that can not operate under cooler temperatures. High Frequencies require more current, wattage, amps, electricity or whatever you want to call it ... but needs more power to generate/ perform at Higher Frequencies. AMD had something going with Threadripper but eventually that died when Intel found their little fixes with the i9 series CPU's. It is a game, neither Intel or AMD have the answer.  But I am sticking with the Intel and nVidia combination simply cause they work best overall. So if you what top clock speed use the windows Power Options and select High Performance and then max out the fan speed for better cooling. Your games will have higher FPS than undervolting.