[DISCUSSION] RAM, SSD, OPTANE??? nitro AN 515-5x

RakaMas
RakaMas Member Posts: 51 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Greetings to all of Acer nitro AN 515-5x,
Since i have this laptop, i feel it's a good laptop until i install game, when i play some game it's like stuttering a bit/fps drop.. it's okay since i think i only playing game not too often(bcs i use this laptop for engineering software etc.), but then i think this laptop is need improvement.

what do yall think, what should i upgrade first?
the options are:
1.intel optane 32GB
2.SSD nvme m.2 Samsung 970 EVO 250GB
3. RAM 8 GB

Use this laptop for:
1.Autocad,solidwork,autodesk inventor (engineering program)
2.Fifa 19, Apex Legend, Monster Hunter

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning RakaMas !

First, what EXACT model of your laptop.
    Example: Aspire 5 A515-51-74ZA
    Please advise so that you can get better directions.

As for your doubts, I will try to clarify further in accordance with the use you have made.

Investing in an SSD will increase your reading and writing rates significantly.
    Directly, your software will open faster and the transmissions will be optimized.
    But for games, there are no FSP gains, but only at the opening speed.

In the case of RAM, as it uses engineering softwares that usually consume enough resources, it is an upgrade of great importance.

In the case of Intel Optane, if you choose SSD, I do not see that the cost / benefit will bring you great advantages.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• RakaMas
    My laptop is Acer nitro AN 515-52...

hmmm.. besides of that engineering program i want it to not getting stutter again in the game..
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Want to add that some games are unplayable from HDDs, so at least 512GB SSD is a must in my opinion.

If you RAM is 4GB, then adding another 4GB for at least 8GB should be top priority. All new AAA games require at least 8GB. The engineering software, as the colleague @MaClane, will also benefit from having more RAM.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• RakaMas
    My default memory is 8GB dude...
  • MaClane
    Which model is EXACT.
    Example: AN 515-52-57WR

I do not know any game that can not be played from an HDD.
    There is not yet a configuration or requirement that suits games to SSD.
    Even because the set responsible for the FPS is processor + video card.
    In games, the SSD only causes decrease of loadings.

As for the crashes, I can guide you to better configure the machine and optimize your games.
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ven98
    I don't mean that the HDD affects fps, but it causes temporary freezes on some games, as it can't keep up with the game assets it has load at the same time.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• MaClane
    ven98 disse:
    I don't mean that the HDD affects fps, but it causes temporary freezes on some games, as it can't keep up with the game assets it has load at the same time.

I have been a Gamer for more than 20 years, especially on the PC / Desktop / Laptop platforms and I affirm that it is perfectly possible to correct any problem of "freezes" that mostly have absolutely nothing to do with HDD or SSD.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• ven98
    edited March 2019
    I have personally been experiencing issues a single game thus far(Forza Horizon 3), that would freeze for microseconds every second when moving at high speed(it was happening only when driving at high speed, no issues whatsoever under 150km/h), which was immediately fixed simply moving the game on the SSD. The HDD was 1TB toshiba (7200rpm 130GB Read) from Acer Predator GX-792. Since then I haven't used any HDDs, so I can't really comment about other games. There had been reports by other users that stopped experiencing micro stuttering after moving a game to the SSD. I didn't find any errors back then from the HDD, but it is also possible that the HDD wasn't good enough for this game and a different HDD might have worked just fine.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• RakaMas
    So, upgrading my ram/ssd/ nor install the optane, didnt increase the fps or the stuttering issues? 
  • MaClane
    RakaMas disse:
    So, upgrading my ram/ssd/ nor install the optane, didnt increase the fps or the stuttering issues? 
    These upgrades will generate overall performance gains.
    But FPS is a question of processor and video card.
    As I've told you, even a high-performance system, if not well configured, can generate all those problems that you cited.
    If you want, I can give you advice on how to design your gaming system.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• RakaMas
    MaClane said:
    RakaMas disse:
    These upgrades will generate overall performance gains.
    But FPS is a question of processor and video card.
    As I've told you, even a high-performance system, if not well configured, can generate all those problems that you cited.
    If you want, I can give you advice on how to design your gaming system.
    Hmmm.. okayy, and i think the temperature of this laptop is too high?? Should i re paste it ??

what's your advice?
  • RakaMas
    Yeahh, i mean its okay if the fps is stable like 60 or 30 but it's annoy when the fps is drop/stuttering
  • ven98
    edited March 2019
    Use HWiNFO to find out what the CPU and GPU temperatures are after 10 minutes of gameplay on a game on which you experience stuttering. You can post a screenshot of the temperatures you have recorded.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• RakaMas
    ven98 said:
    Use HWiNFO to find out what the CPU and GPU temperatures are after 10 minutes of gameplay on a game on which you experience sluttering. You can post a screenshot of the temperatures you have recorded.
    Actually it's stuttering not ***** tering 😂😂😂 ok i'll try it, how high the temperatue it should be(for the normal temperature)
  • ven98
    It shouldn't be higher than 85C average for both CPU and GPU. HWiNFO will detect if the CPU throttles.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• RakaMas
    And then what should i do if the temperature is above that
  • ven98
    You can try undervolting the CPU with throttlestop. Undervolting isn't harmful, nor reduces performance. When the voltage is less, the CPU outputs less heat, thus reducing the temperature. If undervolting doesn't help and the temperature is still causing throttling, then repasting with a high quality thermal compound is the next step.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• MaClane
    Good Morning RakaMas !

To try to remedy your problems, let's start with a basic setup to optimize your gaming laptop system:

1- Drop it and remove as many unnecessary applications and software from your laptop
    2- Update all drivers, especially those of the integrated GPU and the dedicated
    3- Turn off the undercurrent effects in the advanced system settings
    4- Defragment the disk (if using HDD)
    5- Configure the Windows power options for High Performance
    6- Configure the games for Maximum Performance, both on the Nvidia Panel and on the Intel HD Graphics Panel
    7- Always charge your battery from 90 to 100% when playing
    8- Only play with the laptop connected to the power outlet
    9- Set up the game options according to your laptop's specifications (Example: if your monitor has native resolution of 1080p configure the games internally for the same base.)
    10- Use an application that enhanced performance gaming, such as Razer Cortex: https://www.razer.com/cortex

This would be a basic configuration and optimization to give better performance in your games.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• RakaMas
    i've tried undervolting with XTU, i set it with -0.150v the cpu temperature is above 85 degree after the 10 minutes test. even tho that i've been changed it, when i play game(apex legend) it crashed my laptop (restarting without reason)
    ven98 said:
    You can try undervolting the CPU with throttlestop. Undervolting isn't harmful, nor reduces performance. When the voltage is less, the CPU outputs less heat, thus reducing the temperature. If undervolting doesn't help and the temperature is still causing throttling, then repasting with a high quality thermal compound is the next step.

MaClane said:
    Good Morning RakaMas !

To try to remedy your problems, let's start with a basic setup to optimize your gaming laptop system:

1- Drop it and remove as many unnecessary applications and software from your laptop
    2- Update all drivers, especially those of the integrated GPU and the dedicated
    3- Turn off the undercurrent effects in the advanced system settings
    4- Defragment the disk (if using HDD)
    5- Configure the Windows power options for High Performance
    6- Configure the games for Maximum Performance, both on the Nvidia Panel and on the Intel HD Graphics Panel
    7- Always charge your battery from 90 to 100% when playing
    8- Only play with the laptop connected to the power outlet
    9- Set up the game options according to your laptop's specifications (Example: if your monitor has native resolution of 1080p configure the games internally for the same base.)
    10- Use an application that enhanced performance gaming, such as Razer Cortex: https://www.razer.com/cortex

This would be a basic configuration and optimization to give better performance in your games.

i'll try it later. is there any suggestion to remove the stuttering?
  • ven98
    If the system crashes that means -150mV is too low and you have to increase it. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system