A315-41 can't connect to wireless AC

Options
Sakiko
Sakiko Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello. I just bought this A315-41 with Atheros QCA9377 a few days ago and I realized the wifi doesn't want to connect to wireless AC. it's stuck on wireless N mode even on 5GHz. at 2.4G, it will negotiate at 150M but i only got 72.2 at 5G while my phone could connect at 390M. changing channel on my router (Asus RT-AC87U) doesn't fix the problem. I'm thinking to buy intel wireless module, which one this laptop would accept?. I was going to buy AC9260 but I thought it's better to ask first to not to waste my time and money in case it's not compatible.

driver were updated to 12.0.0.817 (i tried every single driver i see on microsoft site and no luck)

I really need this AC mode for media streaming and keep the laptop backed up wirelessly since it's not possible to run a GbE cable

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good choice. Should work same pcie interface. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sakiko

Tinkerer

Options
    i see. thanks!. anyway, would acer service center change them for me?. i got warranty sticker on one of the screw :(
  • JackE
    Options
    You must check with the warranty service at this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support . This would be an unusual request so it might strongly depend on the customer service representative you happen to contact. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Sakiko

Tinkerer

Options
    alright. i asked them and waiting for answer. hope they would help. i wonder why they put such a stupid wireless module on this laptop
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> why they put such a stupid wireless module on this laptop>>>

I'm gonna guess that it was cheaper than the AC9260. Did I guess right? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sakiko

Tinkerer

Options
    well, yeah. they're like half price of AC9260. aaaannnddd they told me to buy the module (don't know if it's AC9260 or what. they don't want to tell me) on their service center. hope they're not that expensive
  • JackE
    Options
    If it was mine, I'd buy the Intel from aliexpress, bukala or shopee and swap it out myself. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sakiko

Tinkerer

Options
    that will be my last choice. i'd like to keep the warranty intact.
    sill trying to get more info about the new module. if they can only provide 433M card then i'll do it myself
  • JackE
    Options
    Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sakiko

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    Options
    After digging some info locally, turns out the warranty sticker isn't mandatory. my 9260 arrived and installed right now. it's now connected to wireless AC without problem!
    but here's the thing. it does connect to AC, but at 173.3Mbps with ch149 80MHz. my phone is connected at 390Mbps at the same channel and bandwidth.
    at Ch48 80MHz, my phone could get 780Mbps link (390Mbps Rx + 585Mbps Tx) while the laptop couldn't recognize the SSID. ch 149 and above at 80MHz works but capped at 173 while my phone capped at 390. I was able to connect at 40MHz but then, what's the point?

It seems like i got some kind of region problem here?. here's what my router have: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161 at either 20, 40, or 80MHz.

Is there some kind of region lock on wireless module? or it's the BIOS? or what?. if there's region lock, my Japan region phone shouldn't be able to connect at ch149, right?
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. I have no way to compare the phone with the laptop connectivity. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Hello! I helped a user in the Portuguese community with a similar problem! The solution we found was to leave the channel in 36 and the bandwidth in automatic! After that, check if the notebook connects to the 5ghz band!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Sakiko

Tinkerer

Options
    There's no auto option for bandwidth, unfortunately. still wondering why I couldn't connect at certain channel. did some wifi module have restriction on certain channel at certain bandwidth?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You must configure these options on the router!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Sakiko

Tinkerer

Options
    I know. I tried 40MHz and it does connect at AC mode but it's also limiting the whole network bandwidth. it also connect at ch149 80MHz but it's only 173.3Mbps (i forgot the 40MHz bandwidth but it's lower. 144Mbps I believe)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In the configurations of the network card without, in width of canl 5ghz, put in automatic!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Sakiko

Tinkerer

Options
    yep. auto since first install. i'll try to change region if it's somehow works
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried resetting the router? What is the firmware version and the router model?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Sakiko

Tinkerer

Options
    I resetted the router already but no luck. Asus RT-AC87U with Merlin firmware 384.10
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In the configurations of your network card, are these options available?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer