ACER PREADATOR TRITON PT715-51 freezes and disconnects second NMVE(PT715-51)

13»

Answers

• Kaverin
    Kaverin Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter

Windows is from Microsoft webpage. Every time I install it I do a brand new install from zero on factory default drive [without partitions, wiped clean with a low level format tool from a live win10 clone].

I have tried booting with only one SSD, changing slots, swaping SSD's, with both installed, etc with no results. They are now invisible to windows install or to the live media stated above. After I load the drivers it does see the ssd as a raid device, you can format it, it sais formatting ok but when I tryed other operations [like initialise] it gives an error, and after rebooting the drives are still invisible to the OS install.

I will try loading the AHCI drivers during windows install, did not tried that yet, having the latest install package from MS. 

For now i am still on the 2x256GB drives.

I ordered an external [M.2 key M] enclosure and I wil toy with that as well when it will arive. It's a shame though, why ACER locked the BIOS in RAID 0 mode? Why one cannot switch to AHCI in order to break the RAID array? And why the hell it gave the BSOD when I had them both installed and no RAID at all ?

• Kaverin

CTRL+i does nothing on this laptop. I Looked also in BIOS, maybe I unchecked some options but everything seems fine ... after all, it's a very basic BIOS

I tried to ad the AHCI drivers when windows is installing. It does see a raid array in amount of aprox 1 TB [that is if you have both ssd inside ... lol] Anyway, like in the third party live media, I deleted everything, every partition and I started to install windows on this RAID drive ... the process stopped or should I say freezed at 0% ...

When one of the 2 ssd are taken out, does not matter which one or slot, even loading the AHCI drivers during windows setup will not make any of the SSD visible again. So in this case it's either 2 or none at all.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kaverin

Yes. I know about that link. This is why I decided to go with the two 1TB drives in the first place.

I followed the exact same steps when installing windows ... it's also the obvious way to do it.

I must add on later version of windows step 5 is redundant. They do show up as 2 single drives in windows setup. And you can choose on which you want to install windows on. You do have some black screens, and some boot failures as stated by the coleague and me, but if you manage to get past it, the instalation process is kinda straight forward [though ocasionally did went black screen also during the setup process towards the end].

But all of this info is already explained in the prior threads

This query started with a simple question and it kinda ... took other paths.

I also managed to install windows on one of the ssd, the other one was going to be used for storage purposes.

The whole point is, on the drive with the windows installed, everything is fine. On the othe one ... if you try to copy the speed drops to a standstill, the drive is disconnected and then you have a BSOD. That was the situation WITHOUT RAID.

WITH RAID ... it gave an error during the RAID creation process and after that was ... game over

At this point if is noone has ever put 2 WD BLACK 1 TB NVMe in this ***** laptop, and experienced the same issues and has a valid solution, let's put the talks on standby, we'll continue when [or if] I manage to unRAID the god ***** SDD's

I still blame ACER for not keeping up with the BIOS updates and I still believe this is a BIOS issue. I mean wtf, this laptop is their pinacle so far. They should do the efort and keep it updated to the latest technology. At this point I'm starting to regret not chosing the othe A ...

• dude, colleague ironfly, has some topics on raid! I'll ask him to check your topic! 
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kaverin
    colleague ironfly posts were the ones that actually gave me the AHCI drivers workaround. Kudos for him. But it didn't work in my case, for my computer froze during the RAID creation process and that batch file he was suggesting works only half way [the rstcli64.exe does not work].
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Kaverin said:
    colleague ironfly posts were the ones that actually gave me the AHCI drivers workaround. Kudos for him. But it didn't work in my case, for my computer froze during the RAID creation process and that batch file he was suggesting works only half way [the rstcli64.exe does not work].
    Thanks for the appreciation.

just one thing, the BIOS has only the RAID option as storage protocol, not RAID0; RAID0 is an option for RAID arrays. (the RAID tool is outdated and will not be updated).
    So, technical speaking you will be able to have 2 separate SSDs as written on the other discussion...but...

Reading about your troubles, i think there's a sort of incompatibility between Acer's BIOS and WD SSDs, since the OEM SSDs works (FYI those 2 SSDs will always work as RAID0 until you will do a complete wipe).

At the end, i suggest you to contact the Acer support service and highlight the issue; on our side (ACEs users) we can only higlight this discussion.
    @Acer-Manny

PS: oh...if you have some spare time and want to test something else, an Ubuntu or Lubuntu installation can be a good test to check crashes or freezing speed copying files between the SSDs.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Kaverin

Thank you for your answer IronFly.

I do not have another laptop with an M.2 slot and AHCI BIOS to wipe the WD SSD's. However I did ordered an USB3 external enclosure.

It's a shame that we have to buy other hardware devices to fix this problem, just because ACER does not thave the AHCI option implemented. 

Thank you all for the support.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    I agree and i already highlight the missing AHCI option years ago, just after the G9-791 model.
    Honestly i find the lack of RAID array destroy option even worse.

I suggest you to contact WD support too, just to understand if they had any other case like yours.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Kaverin

Today the external enclosure arrived and I was able to wipe clean the SSD's.

Did another clean install of windows with only one SSD installed, and then updated all intel drivers from their official page using Intel® Driver & Support Assistant. All went well [yes, even the IRST]. Then I added a second SSD. The moment I inserted the second NVMe the laptop started acting weird, very long boot time, sometimes it didn't even go past the predator logo, sometimes was loading windows but without the second SSD, and sometimes just freezes while windows is loading [during the rotating circle phase]. Both SSD's are GPT, first one had windows on it and second one was empty. 

Finally at some point I managed to arrive up to he desktop, having both ssd's installed. Then I tried to make them in RAID, and guess what ... versus the end of the process it .... ta daaaaa, .... BSOD [but hey, not to worry, windows is kind enough to restart the laptop for you ... what a bummer]

Oh well, at least now, having the external enclosure [which is a must in this case, and cost around 40 euros] I can toy with those SSD.

Verry, verry dissapointed ... 

I wonder however, if someone has managed to install two 1TB samsung 970 evo for example. Just to understand if this is a brand related issue or not.

• This user was able to successfully install the two drives, see: https://community.acer.com/pt/discussion/comment/652885/#Comment_652885

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Kaverin

user Broko was using 2 512 GB stock SSD's. Also my 2 256 stock SSD'd are working well. I can toy with those, do whatever, they will work. Question is, did someone tried to do the exact same thing with the 2 1TB drives, especially WD BLACK ?

Because I beleive that up to 512 GB each, all is well on this laptop's BIOS, if you go over that threshold hell breaks loose

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi Kaverin,

Unfortunately this product was not spec’d to support two pieces of 1TB storage, that configuration was untested by Acer and its compatibility is unknown.

Sorry for the inconveniences that this may cause,
    Acer-Manny 
  • Kaverin

Finally an honest answer. Not that it does me any good ...

From this moment on ACER will never be on my shop list, ever again !!!!!!

No matter what, may it be dirt cheap [which is NOT the case with the laptopI bought] I will say pass.

• AdamsFrank
    AdamsFrank Member Posts: 60 Troubleshooter
    I aslo experience like @Kaverin . Acer team changed motherboard and OS but no use Still my lap crash everyday and restart automatically. that time it shows no bootable device. then I have to wait 2 min for turn it on and use . it happen at least 4 time a day. I wasted my money too