Installed SSD Drive after cloning current hard drive - Aspire VN7-791G does not show drive in BIOS

WebDesigner
WebDesigner Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I own 3 Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black VN7-791G-76Z8 laptops and want to upgrade 2 of them with 1gb SSD's.

I purchased these SSDs: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1 ...from Newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167462

They are PCIe x4 gen 3.0 SSDs.

According to an answer from "Acer America Manufacturer · March 29, 2017" on the amazon page for this laptop, the "M.2 slot supports SATA3 or PCIe x4 Gen 3 SSD"

I cloned the old drive using an external SSD/USB enclosure with Macrium Reflect (which supports this function).  I am not a novice and I am 99% sure I have set up the SSD correctly to be the boot drive. 

I disconnected the old hard drive and installed the SSD in the SSD slot in the laptop.

The BIOS screen (F2) does not show the drive listed.

Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this laptop not compatible with this drive?  I'd really appreciate a knowledgeable answer to this issue.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WebDesigner

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    Thanks for your reply.  My understanding was this is not an NVMe drive.

The specs say, "The SSD 660p hits the marks that matter for client SSDs. This drive is tuned to deliver a capacity optimized NVMe performance and deliver an intelligent storage option for mainstream and entry-level computing."  Do you think that means it is NVMe?

EDIT: the newegg page did not state it but the amazon page makes it clear it is NVMe.  Darn it!

• Unfortunately this model does not support NVME!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WebDesigner

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho a dit :
    Unfortunately this model does not support NVME!
    Right!  Thanks.  Because the product page did not state NVMe, newegg is going to allow me to do a return even though it is opened and formatted!
  • Great! When you change ssd and install it on your notebook, post the result here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WebDesigner

Tinkerer

Great! When you change ssd and install it on your notebook, post the result here!
    Do you know how I can find out what (fast - modern) 1 gb SSDs this laptop will support?

Is there a way to swap out the regular hard drive with a (cheaper than M.2) SSD drive?
  • ESTÁ BEM! Verifique isto:
    1) 

2 Yes, you can add a 2.5 "sata 3 ssd instead of HD!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WebDesigner

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    I wonder if there is any chance my NVMe ssd would work if I installed this driver from Intel?

Probably not, since the drive does not even show up in the Bios...?

• The motherboard needs to support the nvme! See this link and download the hwinfo64 program: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/548310/aspire-vn7-791g-and-samsung-evo-970-960-860-850-ssd

egydiocoelho Trailblazer