Question Predator Helios 300 GPU overheating and Shutting down

Options
danii92
danii92 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello guys

I reaaaaly need your help with this one

So basically my Helios 300 laptop can't run any GPU demanding game because it shuts down automatically. I have stressed both the CPU and the GPU with memtest and FullMark and the laptop shut down when the stress test with FullMark reached 71C.

Now, I have already set the maximum processor to 80% from the power menu  plan and running the fan speed at maximum. Please advice because it's literally unplayable because shuts down after few minutes.

Below my setup

Processor:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

Manufacturer Intel

Speed 3.8 GHz

Number of Cores 8

RAM 16GB

Video Card:

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Manufacturer

Chipset GeForce GTX 1060

Dedicated Memory 6.0 GB

Total Memory 14 GB

Please help

Thank you in advance

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    71C is far from overheating. Have you done any undrvolting?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• danii92
    Options
    ven98 said:
    71C is far from overheating. Have you done any undrvolting?
    I haven't done any undervolting
  • ven98
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Have you tried installing different versions of the graphics drivers, both Intel and Nvidia?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• danii92
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Have you tried installing different versions of the graphics drivers, both Intel and Nvidia?
    I haven't tried this one. Do you suggest to try with a different GPU driver in this case and if yes which one you recommend? 

Thank you 
  • ven98
    Options
    I would suggest you to install the newest one available from Intel and try 417.22 and 399.24 from Nvidia.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• danii92
    Options
    ven98 said:
    I would suggest you to install the newest one available from Intel and try 417.22 and 399.24 from Nvidia.
    Just installed the latest on Intel and I'm rocking the 419.17 on Nvidia. Will download the  417.22 now 
  • danii92
    Options
    apparentely I have been blocked by entering in this forum. Im entering with a proxy now. btw it still shutdown 
  • ven98
    Options
    Does the shutdown occur absolutely every time the CPU reaches 71C? What is the temperature of the GPU, by the way?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried uninstalling the AC adapter and battery driver in the device manager and then restarting the notebook? What is the temperature shown on the predator sense?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @danii92 you stated "Now, I have already set the maximum processor to 80% from the power menu  plan " so you just disabled turbo boost why ? dont do that it will cause issues and why did you bought a predator (or any other gaming laptop) if you are disabling turbo boost and making your i7 behave like an i3 or even worse i really dont get ppl why buy a gaming laptop to just kill its performance totally the solution to get the temps down its not disable turbo boost like all the uncult/dumb ppl are spreading around all the time they dunno what they are talking about the solution is to optimize windows/undervolt and if needed repaste and what's the "Total Memory 14 GB)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• danii92
    Options
    xapim said:
    @danii92 you stated "Now, I have already set the maximum processor to 80% from the power menu  plan " so you just disabled turbo boost why ? dont do that it will cause issues and why did you bought a predator (or any other gaming laptop) if you are disabling turbo boost and making your i7 behave like an i3 or even worse i really dont get ppl why buy a gaming laptop to just kill its performance totally the solution to get the temps down its not disable turbo boost like all the uncult/dumb ppl are spreading around all the time they dunno what they are talking about the solution is to optimize windows/undervolt and if needed repaste and what's the "Total Memory 14 GB)
    dude the laptop literally shut down every time I start a game. I was desperate. I have updated all the intel and the GPU drivers and it still shutdown 
  • danii92
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Does the shutdown occur absolutely every time the CPU reaches 71C? What is the temperature of the GPU, by the way?
    CPU can get up to 90 and GPU makes shut down the computer after it reached 71-72 . After I have installed the lower version on Nvidia the fps dropped to 15 -18 for every game ..:( 
  • ven98
    Options
    Do you overclock the GPU with predator sense? I think it could be either stability or a temperature sensor issue.

Stability means that the GPU is unable to run at the frequency it is supposed to, because the voltage is too low for this temperature(in other words a bad GPU). If you haven't overclocked from Predator Sense, I suggest you to do so and if the system crashes at a lower temperature(e.g 70C), it will confirm this theory.

The Max temperature a pascal GPU can reach is 94C. 71C is far from this value. Does the shutdown at 71C occur on every game?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• danii92
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Do you overclock the GPU with predator sense? I think it could be either stability or a temperature sensor issue.

Stability means that the GPU is unable to run at the frequency it is supposed to, because the voltage is too low for this temperature(in other words a bad GPU). If you haven't overclocked from Predator Sense, I suggest you to do so and if the system crashes at a lower temperature(e.g 70C), it will confirm this theory.

The Max temperature a pascal GPU can reach is 94C. 71C is far from this value. Does the shutdown at 71C occur on every game?
    it occurs on the more demanding ones, Metro Exodus STAR WARS Battlefront II etc. I haven't done undervolting before. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @danii92 Have you tried uninstalling the AC adapter and battery driver in the device manager and then restarting the notebook? 
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    Forgive me if it's been mentioned but have you updated your BIOs?
    There was an issue with the 8th gen Helios 300s on release and a BIOs update fixed it.
    - Hotel Hero
  • danii92
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    Forgive me if it's been mentioned but have you updated your BIOs?
    There was an issue with the 8th gen Helios 300s on release and a BIOs update fixed it.
    yes mate. I have installed the latest one. I have repasted today as well but GPU overheat in 10 mins 
  • danii92
    Options
    @danii92 Have you tried uninstalling the AC adapter and battery driver in the device manager and then restarting the notebook? 
    yes I have tried that as well initially without result 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    could you tell the exact model of your notebook? Example an515-51-75kz!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• danii92
    Options
    PH317-51-72BL is the one I have