Acer Spin 1 : no boot options available in bios

Aradyan
Aradyan Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
There are no boot order options in the Acer Spin 1 bios : I cannot boot the computer in other devices (micro SD card / USB stick) than the option "1. Windows Boot Manager". Is it possible to add one or make all the ports bootable ? I have updated the bios but nothing has changed. Also, I cannot access the bios with key (F2 or F12), I have to go through the Windows troubleshooter parameters to force it.

I want to have the possibility to boot another OS from my SD card. 

Thanks !

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    1) What is the exact model of your notebook? Example v3-571!
    2) Not all computers are able to boot from the sd card. You will need to use a pendrive that is converted to gpt if your notebook is in uefi mode or converted to mbr if your notebook is in legacy mode!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Aradyan
    edited January 2019
    My computer is a Acer Spin One : SP111-32N-C2GU (yes my post is not is the right category  :# )
    It's in UEFI mode (and it cannot be changed from what I see in the bios). 
  • Have you tried creating a password in the set supervisor password to see if you enable the boot mode and secureboot functions in bios?
    To create a thumb drive in gpt, type these commands:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Aradyan
    edited January 2019
    I have indeed set supervisor password in the bios. I don't understand what you are trying to tell me regarding secure boot mode.
    In the secure boot mode tab in the bios I have :

Secure Boot Mode : Standard
    Erase all Secure Boot Setting [Enter]
    Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing : [Enter]
    Restore Secure Boot to Factory Default [Enter]

Regarding the thumb drive in GPT, what is its use ? Could it make my SD card bootable ? 

Thanks
  • You want to install another operating system, correct? It is necessary that the pendrive be configured to be initialized in uefi mode. So it is necessary to convert the pendrive to gpt!
    Many devices do not allow booting from the SD card!
    If you want to install another operating system, you need to disable secure boot!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Aradyan
    edited January 2019
    I tried to do as you said, the problem is each time I'm flashing the SD card in order to put my another OS the gpt remove itself (I have been using Etcher and Rufus). I have disabled boot security. 

Also, if the device have disallow booting from SD card can I still do it or there is no way around ?
  • First, as I told you before, you need to use the pendrive converted to gpt and with a 64bit iso to install an operating system in uefi mode. Most models do not support booting from the SD memory card!
    Second, try accessing bios through windows, like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqObRbu1DRo

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Aradyan
    The thing is, if I convert the disk to gpt and then install the OS the gpt won't stay. I cannot convert the disk to gpt after having installed the OS.
  • Can you explain the difficulty you are having in installing windows? Can you get into the bios and hit a photo of the boot section?
    You must also convert hd to windows installation. To do this, press the shift + f10 keys inside the windows installation and enter these commands: diskpart, disk list, sel disk x, clean, convert gpt. Then close the cmd and continue the installation of windows!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Aradyan
    I'm trying to install a Linux dist on the SD card not windows, therefore I'm using Rufus to flash the card with the linux dist.
    In order to have a gpt disk I have to do what you ask me before flashing the disk. But the flash remove the gpt property. And I can't make the SD card a gpt after the flash.

What's I'm trying to do is a dualboot of Linux and Windows but installing LInux on a 16GB SD card
  • What is the linux distribution you want to install? Ubuntu, lubunt, mint?
    See if this video can help you:
    You also need to know if your sd card is write-protected because your notebook is in uefi mode and therefore the sd card should be converted to gpt:
    Resultado de imagem para carto protegido contra gravao

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Aradyan
    I want to install the Linux dist Raspian, based on Debian. Even if I have my SD card with the ISO flashed on it, done with Rufus, I can't find a way to boot to this card. I have only one option in the boot options it's "1. Windows boot manager"
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Aradyan As egydiocoelho suggested, your system does not support SD card boot. You must boot from a GPT-partition FAT32 stick with the Linux iso (using for example Rufus) or it will not show up in the Boot tab to change the boot order. You should also make sure that the F12 boot option is enabled in the Boot Main tab just in case the Boot tab doesn't behave as expected(which happens sometimes with UEFI bootstrappers).

You should try to access the BIOS via the F2 cold boot method. To do this, first open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Then click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Click option to 'change settings that currently aren't available'. Scroll down and uncheck box that turns on fast startup to disable fast boot. Then shutdown to completely turn off the system. Then turn the laptop back on and ***immediately*** start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Don't wait for the ACER splash screen to appear.

General instructions for installing Linux based on  Ubuntu and Debian distros alongside Windows. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• KICooke
    KICooke Member Posts: 2 New User
    I know its been a long time since this thread has been active but after bricking my Acer Spin 1 (Pentium, 64GB eMMC) over a year ago and almost throwing it away on many occasions, I am entering this post on that exact computer.  I bought it because it was a nice compact laptop with a beautiful screen and a nice solid build.  When I first saw it I thought it was an excellent candidate for a linux computer.  The Windows system was God awful slow and I grew so tired of watching that little spinner thing go round and round!  

I followed instruction on how to use the Windows boot settings on how to allow it to boot from a thumb drive and inserted a USB drive with linux mint into the side.  It booted from the USB and I was pleasantly surprised to see how much faster Linux Mint ran that the old OS, so I pressed the installed button and watched the magic begin.  The install got all the way to the point where it was trying to install the Grub2 package to control boot settings and that was the beginning of the end.  An error message came up saying there was a problem installing the Grub package and to try again, so I did.  I tried 3 or 4 times and it always failed at the same point so I gave up.  I restarted the computer and was dismayed to see that the Windows boot was gone and the only way to boot the computer was to have a bootable USB installed in the computer.  The computer sat idle for over a year.

Enter ELive OS.  I was attracted to it because its considered a fast but beautiful Linux distro made for slower hardware.  I put the thumb drive in the USB and it loaded up, pressed the install and immediately encountered an install error but more on that later.  So after playing around a bit, I found a way to get to the BIOS and I entered a password which allowed me to disable the secure boot option.  The Elive OS installed warned that UEFI should not be enabled but there is no way to change that option in the Spin 1 BIOS.

After, contacting the creator of the OS, I found out that my install issue was do to a recent update of the installer, he emailed me back 2 hours later and said it was fixed and just to make sure I was attached to the internet.  The install started and I patiently watched the progress waiting for the point where it gets to the Grub install.  It got there and went past it.  When the install finished, a message popped up that stated there were issue during the install of the Grub2 package and that I may have issues starting the computer.  I shut down and restarted and surprisingly it booted into Elive OS.  The system is now fast and responsive with a beautiful interface (make sure to choose the 3.8 Beta package) not to mention plenty of free software.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Thanks for report. Win10 has definitely made an open window of opportunity to finally change the status quo in PC GUIs. Pun intended.  Congrats on your success.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Islandboy552
    Islandboy552 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    KICooke said:
    I know its been a long time since this thread has been active but after bricking my Acer Spin 1 (Pentium, 64GB eMMC) over a year ago and almost throwing it away on many occasions, I am entering this post on that exact computer.  I bought it because it was a nice compact laptop with a beautiful screen and a nice solid build.  When I first saw it I thought it was an excellent candidate for a linux computer.  The Windows system was God awful slow and I grew so tired of watching that little spinner thing go round and round!  

I followed instruction on how to use the Windows boot settings on how to allow it to boot from a thumb drive and inserted a USB drive with linux mint into the side.  It booted from the USB and I was pleasantly surprised to see how much faster Linux Mint ran that the old OS, so I pressed the installed button and watched the magic begin.  The install got all the way to the point where it was trying to install the Grub2 package to control boot settings and that was the beginning of the end.  An error message came up saying there was a problem installing the Grub package and to try again, so I did.  I tried 3 or 4 times and it always failed at the same point so I gave up.  I restarted the computer and was dismayed to see that the Windows boot was gone and the only way to boot the computer was to have a bootable USB installed in the computer.  The computer sat idle for over a year.

Enter ELive OS.  I was attracted to it because its considered a fast but beautiful Linux distro made for slower hardware.  I put the thumb drive in the USB and it loaded up, pressed the install and immediately encountered an install error but more on that later.  So after playing around a bit, I found a way to get to the BIOS and I entered a password which allowed me to disable the secure boot option.  The Elive OS installed warned that UEFI should not be enabled but there is no way to change that option in the Spin 1 BIOS.

After, contacting the creator of the OS, I found out that my install issue was do to a recent update of the installer, he emailed me back 2 hours later and said it was fixed and just to make sure I was attached to the internet.  The install started and I patiently watched the progress waiting for the point where it gets to the Grub install.  It got there and went past it.  When the install finished, a message popped up that stated there were issue during the install of the Grub2 package and that I may have issues starting the computer.  I shut down and restarted and surprisingly it booted into Elive OS.  The system is now fast and responsive with a beautiful interface (make sure to choose the 3.8 Beta package) not to mention plenty of free software.

I'd like to understand how you 'de-bricked' your Spin 1. Mine bricked so to speak over a Win10 update and I can't find any way to boot from a USB drive. Any advice would help
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    @Islandboy552 you should start a new thread for your question. Include your full model number (ex. SP114-52G-xxxx) the symptoms you are seeing and what you have tried so far. Can you get into the BIOS?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.