Acer Predator Helios 300 - i7-8750H Power Limit Throttling

Sklero
Sklero Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello Everyone ! 

First post here, so please be kind :)
So getting to the point - got the laptop 2 months ago or so with i7-8750H and GTX1060 with 144hz panel, and I've been struggling a little since then with Power Limit Throttling, it seems that 45W up to turbo 56.25W is not enough for this laptop CPU, and its really annoying. It's really frustrating when you play on 145fps, and all of sudden you get down to 20fps for a while... Those sudden hiccups are really frustrating especially in games like Overwatch or PoE.

I did the undervolt (-0.165V), and even got a cooling pad, and still it happens, not so often as before, but still...
Is there anything that might rise the TDP? The XTU cannot change the TDP - it doesnt save the higher Watts.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, and if you've got the same problem

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Lots of variables. Try some of the suggestions here for the 1050 version https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/553181/horrible-cpu-performance-of-helios-300-please-help   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sklero
    Sklero Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I wish that Helios 300 had the same as Helios 500 in their predator sense to boost the power given to the processor...
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Have you tried downloading the latest predator sense apps to see if it's in there? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7603?b=1  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't think reaching the power limit can cause fps drops. The frequency may drop by lets say 100MHz or something, but that should really impact the fps. Set everything to max performance. Make sure the Intel and Nvidia drivers are updated(for nvidia use 417.22). Make sure battery boost, whisper mode and in-game overlay are disabled in Geforce experience if you have it installed.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!