Horrible CPU performance of helios 300. Please help

Options
Arsalaank17
Arsalaank17 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So, I have a predator helios 300.
 The specs of the laptop are : - i7-8750h , GTX 1050ti , 8GB RAM
I have Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I decided to run a benchmark test. I realised that my results are terrible. My benchmark score was around 800 and people with 8750h get like 1200 ish. Also while running the test it was showing "Power Limit Throttling" - Yes. This is also a very bad thing. Also , I tried undervolting the CPU it did not help. My CPU temps were around 75 degrees (after undervolting). Please tell me how to fix "Power Limit Throttling"

Answers

• Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

Options
    My laptop= Predator PH315-51
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,117 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    You could try the solution in this video but I don't think you can disable Intel turbo boost in BIOS, you could try other methods in the link below to achieve it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6LgeE56cQ4
    https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-technology-on-a-notebook/
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    How much did you undervolt your CPU?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    Hey! Thanks so much for the quick response brummyfan. Your solution did remove the power limit throttling issue, reduced the temperature to 57 degrees at 100% utilization!! However, the cpu became much worse performance wise. My score was lowered as the clock speed was now limited to only 2.2 Ghz. I really want the score to increase because that reflects the cpu performance
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

Options
    I undervolted my cpu to -0.160
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    You could give throttlestop a try (instead of XTU).
    If you do be sure to set undervolt back to 0 before uninstalling XTU.

Also try -0.140 offset for core/cache as there have been members in these forums who found a temperature increase when undervolting the 8th gen too low. -0.140 has been a good balance point for this CPU for everyone.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

Options
    Here is the picture before undervolting the cpu. Please take a look : -
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

Options
    Here is the picture after undervolting the cpu to -0.140

• Red-Sand
    Options
    I see your proposed package power (short boost) in the chart on the top right has been changed to 45w opposed to the stock 56w.
    You need to apply the default XTU profile and only change undervolt and nothing else unless you understand it.

At 45w cap thats set your CPU is running normally.
    Default profile, show values, apply, reboot.
    Check chart to be sure default matches proposed.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

Options
    This value should be around 1200 because that is the average for my cpu

• Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

Options
    Whoops! Never realised that thanks for telling me that but still no help :(
  • Red-Sand
    edited October 2018
    Options
    There are a lot of variables when it comes to power packages. (ASUS locks pkg pwr to 25w giving 1.8GHz long speed LMAO).
    If you have many processes running in the background your CPU will be split between tasks. And I dont mean programs I mean task schedules and services. Try this and see if it helps.

https://youtu.be/XTPMwQKlfPE
    - Hotel Hero
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    Well doing all that did help a little bit as the scores improved. However , there still was power limit throttling while benchmarking and I believe that is the thing which is not letting me reach near the average (1200). Thanks so much tho! ;)

• Red-Sand
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you used throttlestop you could set speed shift energy performance profile (EPP) to 0 improving performance.

Mind you that Im only helping you with benchmarks.
    In a benchmark your CPU is given a single task over a period of time and since the task does not change, your package power limit timer engauges which reduces power limits from 56w to 45w, effectively lowering clock speeds.

However you may be glad to know this has no bearing on a game itself, as a games task(s) change frequently leaving the CPU at a higher package power all the time. (Always using 56w @ 3.9GHz) You can download a on screen display tool such as rivatuner to display your clock speeds while gaming to confirm what I say.

The 8th gen CPUs are quite finicky with package power limits and Acer has graciously not removed the stock power limits (Other brands cap in favor of temps). In XTU try setting the timer for short power limit to the max (96 seconds) and see if it sticks. I don't have a 8th gen Helios 300 but I do own a Helios 500 with the i7-8750H and before Acer unlocked TDP caps this is the method I used to improve benchmarks.
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/607777#Comment_607777
    Read this. I have posted screenshots of my throttlestop settings at the end of the discussion. I have same CPU and by applying this settings I reduced the temperature, increased the performance. CPU throttles only on heavy benchmarking from max 3.9 GHZ to 3.8. On gaming no throttling. And the result on Cinebench R15 is 1247.
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    Thank you for the answer mrgrudev i tried ur settings but still my score was only 829 :( Again there was power limit throttling during benchmarking. It seems I have to live with this
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    hmmm. I think i am understanding the problem. I think this power limit throttling happens when the package tdp crosses like 48watts. Is there any way other than undervolting to reduce package tdp cause undervolting is not enough. I might be wrong tho i am not a computer genius ;)
  • Arsalaank17

Tinkerer

Options
    Another thing, my cinebench score was 1143 which i believe is quite decent for my cpu is there something wrong with intel xtu benchmarking?
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Your CPU should run at 56W for at least 28 sec before it throttles back to 45W. With my settings my CPU is running at 3.9 at about 48W and then it throttles to 3.8 at 45W. Then it should run at 45W for as long as you want without further power throttling.
    Better return everything back to default in the XTU, remove the throttlestop config file. TURN OFF the notebook. Start up and reset BIOS settings and then try to set the thrrottlestop once again from the begining.
    What is your Cinebench score now?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    Options
    To the OP:

By looking at the memory utilisation bar, I assume your RAM is 8GB single module. Having 2 memory modules working in a dual channel will increase benchmark score, but I don't know by how much.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!