Acer Nitro 5 with GTX 1060 underperforming in low spec games

Options

Answers

• BusTeBlaDe
    BusTeBlaDe Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>then i guess i have nothing to worry about?>>>

I wouldn't go that far. For instance, >>>while playing lighter games the laptop still gets quite high temperatures(as if the GPU is at 100% but it is not)>>>,  you might want to try using a balanced instead of a performance power plan to see if temperatures are lowered, or using ACER coolboost if available on your QuickAccess version. Jack E/NJ
    I think the high temps might just be from the games because my last ASUS laptop was struggling to stay cool while playing them as well.
    I know the heatsink in the Nitro 5 isn't the best either because it connects both the GPU and the CPU to 1 pipe.

Changing the power plan didnt seem to impact temperatures nor fps ingame.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    What is the CPU usage while playing these games?

The games you mention should utilise 100% of the GPU. Maybe you can try turning up the graphics to the max to see if that will make any change.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    ven98 said:
    What is the CPU usage while playing these games?

The games you mention should utilise 100% of the GPU. Maybe you can try turning up the graphics to the max to see if that will make any change.
    CPU usage ranges from 60 to 100%
    Games with large maps and open worlds really push it to the max
    Im plyaing all these games at max graphics to try and force the gpu but it doesn't seem to work.
    It just stays at whatever % it wants to and renders as many frames as it can with that percentage.
  • ven98
    Options
    As you say that the CPU reaches 100%, maybe it is bottlenecking the GPU. The GPU renders the frames that the CPU creates, so if the CPU doesn't create enough frames for the GPU, the GPU won't reach 100%. I can't really think of any other cause, because there is no other explanation why the GPU will reach 100% on some games, but not others. You can enable DSR(dynamic super resolution), which will enable the GPU to render frames higher than the resolution of the display. Setting it to x4 from nvidia control panel will enable you to select 3840x2160 resolution on GTA5(assuming your screen is fhd). Try this and let me know if that increases the GPU load. If it does then you are experiencing CPU bottlenecking on lower resolutions.

On 60Hz display you don't really need framerates higher than 60, but probably you know that.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>then i guess i have nothing to worry about?>>>>>>I think the high temps might just be from the games because my last ASUS laptop was struggling to stay cool while playing them as well. I know the heatsink in the Nitro 5 isn't the best either because it connects both the GPU and the CPU to 1 pipe. Changing the power plan didnt seem to impact temperatures nor fps ingame. >>>

Shown below are the normal temp operating ranges for the CPU and GPU. When you're temps consistently average above 90*C under heavy or moderate loads, then you can start worrying a little more. Till then, have fun with the machine and try worrying less.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    ven98 said:
    As you say that the CPU reaches 100%, maybe it is bottlenecking the GPU. The GPU renders the frames that the CPU creates, so if the CPU doesn't create enough frames for the GPU, the GPU won't reach 100%. I can't really think of any other cause, because there is no other explanation why the GPU will reach 100% on some games, but not others. You can enable DSR(dynamic super resolution), which will enable the GPU to render frames higher than the resolution of the display. Setting it to x4 from nvidia control panel will enable you to select 3840x2160 resolution on GTA5(assuming your screen is fhd). Try this and let me know if that increases the GPU load. If it does then you are experiencing CPU bottlenecking on lower resolutions.

On 60Hz display you don't really need framerates higher than 60, but probably you know that.
    I dont even have the DSR option in the control panel(my screen is 1080p) plus my screen is 60hz so you are right i was just wondering about the lower fps.
    I assume what @JackE said is right and because it is a laptop it doesn't want to use all the power it's got until it really has to.
  • ven98
    Options
    That shouldn't have to do anything with it being a laptop. I've had a gaming laptop and the GPU was at 100% usage when playing GTA5.

I forgot for a moment because the device is using nvidia optimus DSR won't be avaliable as an option from nvidia control panel. You can try the opposite decreasing the graphics settings to see if the GPU usage will go down(should work in every game even the ones that usually utilise 100%).
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    ven98 said:
    That shouldn't have to do anything with it being a laptop. I've had a gaming laptop and the GPU was at 100% usage when playing GTA5.

I forgot for a moment because the device is using nvidia optimus DSR won't be avaliable as an option from nvidia control panel. You can try the opposite decreasing the graphics settings to see if the GPU usage will go down(should work in every game even the ones that usually utilise 100%).
    Decreasing the graphics didn't change the GPU usage just the frames got higher.
    While running the GTA 5 benchmark i noticed something very weird though.
    The highs of the gpus are actually during the loading screens.Then it goes back down to 10%

• ven98
    Options
    By looking at the CPU usage graph, I am almost certain you are experiencing CPU bottlenecking. The CPU is at around 80%-100%, which means it is unable to produce enough frames to make the GPU sweat and that is why GPU usage is low.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    ven98 said:
    By looking at the CPU usage graph, I am almost certain you are experiencing CPU bottlenecking. The CPU is at around 80%-100%, which means it is unable to produce enough frames to make the GPU sweat and that is why GPU usage is low.
    It's a high end i7 though, i dont know why that would be happening.
    Also why is it not happening on heavy games there the gpu is just fine
  • ven98
    Options
    Because the heavy games have better graphics and graphics are rendered by GPU, while the CPU processes the NPC and environment. You can say that the CPU gives the information to the GPU about how a certain object will look like and then the GPU will take that information and turn it into an image that is displayed on the monitor. I don't know why the CPU usage is so high on GTA5. Maybe you have some background applications or tasks that constantly use the CPU. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Because the heavy games have better graphics and graphics are rendered by GPU, while the CPU processes the NPC and environment. You can say that the CPU gives the information to the GPU about how a certain object will look like and then the GPU will take that information and turn it into an image that is displayed on the monitor. I don't know why the CPU usage is so high on GTA5. Maybe you have some background applications or tasks that constantly use the CPU. 
    It really is bottlenecking and the temperatures confirm it- the cpu in any game is 85-90 degrees and the gpu is never above 70
    So how is this fixable, is it a factory flaw or is the processor just weak?
  • ven98
    Options
    You said your CPU is high end i7, so I assume it is i7 8750H, which isn't a weak CPU at all, especially for GTA 5. It should be able to run the game at around 100fps+. Check from task manager if there aren't any applications running in the packground.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    ven98 said:
    You said your CPU is high end i7, so I assume it is i7 8750H, which isn't a weak CPU at all, especially for GTA 5. It should be able to run the game at around 100fps+. Check from task manager if there aren't any applications running in the packground.
    It is a 8750H.There isn't anything that's using more than 3% of the processor.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Options
    We seem to be going in circles here. :) Jack E/NJ

GPU Resolution/Refresh rate specs

Jack E/NJ

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    JackE said:
    We seem to be going in circles here. :) Jack E/NJ

GPU Resolution/Refresh rate specs

What do you mean?
  • ven98
    Options
    ven98 said:
    It is a 8750H.There isn't anything that's using more than 3% of the processor.

Try setting the power option in windows to max performance. Also download HWiNFO and report what frequencies the CPU is working at and make sure game mode is disabled.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    Try setting the power option in windows to max performance. Also download HWiNFO and report what frequencies the CPU is working at and make sure game mode is disabled.
    It is constantly working at 3.9GHz even when idle
    I read some stuff about low GPU usage and single vs dual memory channel making a big difference.I am with 1 stick of 8gb right now...
  • ven98
    Options
    Dual channel increases the CPU's performance and it is one of the reasons, but the CPU usage is still high for the fps you are getting. By the way in the graphics settings what version of directX have you selected? It should be DirectX 11.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BusTeBlaDe
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Dual channel increases the CPU's performance and it is one of the reasons, but the CPU usage is still high for the fps you are getting. By the way in the graphics settings what version of directX have you selected? It should be DirectX 11.
    It is DirectX 11