Acer Nitro 5 with GTX 1060 underperforming in low spec games

BusTeBlaDe
BusTeBlaDe Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently bought a Nitro 5 with the GTX 1060 and i noticed a few problems.
While playing low-spec games i dont get the best fps possible with my setup. Checking the task manager shows GTX 1060 usage not above 20% and Intel HD Graphics around 30%.
This is not a big problem, HOWEVER in certain games that the 1060 doesn't want to kick in I get only 60fps when i should get around 100 (Rise of the tomb Raider)

Tried GPU stress tests and the GPU works just fine in heavier games with 95% usage on the GTX 1060 and Intel HD graphics around 10% usage.
This leads to me playing Rise of The Tomb Raider on Ultra settings at 60 FPS and playing Shadow of The Tomb Raider on high settings at 65 FPS.
Note* while playing lighter games the laptop still gets quite high temperatures(as if the GPU is at 100% but it is not)!!

Already tried all the obvious solutions like choosing high performance Nvidia processor in Nvidia control panel, updating all drivers related to GPUs and chipsets I could think of and choosing high performance before battery life everywhere I could.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The battery must be nearly 100% charged and laptop plugged in BEFORE starting your heaviest loads. (1) What is your full model number AN51x-xx? (2) How many watts is your power adapter? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Also make sure V-sync is disabled.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• BusTeBlaDe
    JackE said:
    The battery must be nearly 100% charged and laptop plugged in BEFORE starting your heaviest loads. (1) What is your full model number AN51x-xx? (2) How many watts is your power adapter? Jack E/NJ
    Full model is AN515-52-75LT.Power adapter says 19.5V and 2.34A.
    Full specs are:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8750H 2.20 GHz
    GPU: 
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8GB
  • BusTeBlaDe
    ven98 said:
    Also make sure V-sync is disabled.
    V-sync is disabled.
    I may have ACCIDENTALLY updated the bios to 1.22 while updating all drivers but it didn't impact performance at all
  • BusTeBlaDe
    JackE said:
    Full model is AN515-52-75LT.Power adapter says 19.5V and 9.23A.
    Full specs are:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8750H 2.20 GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8GB
    Output is 9.23A sorry
  • MaxGamer
    MaxGamer Member Posts: 110 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited January 2019
    Hi @BusTeBlaDe

Can you confirm, while gaming that your 1060 is running or Intel iGPU is handling it by checking this only when the game is running. 

Don't forget to accept my answer if I was able to help you out!
    Just a tech enthusiast who tries to help other people : )

Acer Nitro AN515-52-593F ||Intel Core i5-8300H upto 4.00 GHz/GTX1050/8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM/1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD+16B Intel Optane Memory||

Acer Support: https://support.acer.com/
  • BusTeBlaDe
    edited January 2019
    MaxGamer said:
    Hi @BusTeBlaDe

Can you confirm, while gaming that your 1060 is running or Intel iGPU is handling it by checking this only when the game is running. 

@MaxGamer
     It is running all games on the 1060 but it doesn't seem to utilise it to the max it's usually up to 20% and the Integrated Graphics for some reason is running as well at about 30%
    Only when I launch a new heavy game like Forza Horizon 4 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider does it use the 1060 at 95%
  • JackE
    >>>While playing low-spec games i dont get the best fps possible with my setup. Checking the task manager shows GTX 1060 usage not above 20% and Intel HD Graphics around 30%. This is not a big problem, HOWEVER in certain games that the 1060 doesn't want to kick in I get only 60fps when i should get around 100 (Rise of the tomb Raider)>>>>

What problem(s) does 60fps cause in the TombRaider game that you think 100fps will fix? Can you give specific examples while playing this game? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• BusTeBlaDe
    JackE said:
    >>>While playing low-spec games i dont get the best fps possible with my setup. Checking the task manager shows GTX 1060 usage not above 20% and Intel HD Graphics around 30%. This is not a big problem, HOWEVER in certain games that the 1060 doesn't want to kick in I get only 60fps when i should get around 100 (Rise of the tomb Raider)>>>>

What problem(s) does 60fps cause in the TombRaider game that you think 100fps will fix? Can you give specific examples while playing this game? Jack E/NJ 

@JackE
    Games are totally playable but for the money i paid the performance is underwhelming.
  • mattygamer
    mattygamer Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:

@JackE
    Games are totally playable but for the money i paid the performance is underwhelming.
    You really think you should get above 100 fps on Rise of the Tomb Raider with a Laptop GTX 1060?
  • JackE
    BusTeBlaDe>>>Games are totally playable but for the money i paid the performance is underwhelming. >>>>

What benchmark metrics software are you using to determine performance? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BusTeBlaDe
    JackE said:

@JackE
    You really think you should get above 100 fps on Rise of the Tomb Raider with a Laptop GTX 1060?
    It's a much less demanding game than Shadow of the Tomb raider and they both run at ~55fps
  • BusTeBlaDe
    JackE said:
    BusTeBlaDe>>>Games are totally playable but for the money i paid the performance is underwhelming. >>>>

What benchmark metrics software are you using to determine performance? Jack E/NJ

I just run the benchmark on whatever game I am playing or I look at the fps on the top left corner on steam games.
    As for the usage of the GPU i check the task manager-> performance
  • JackE
    >>>I just run the benchmark on whatever game I am playing or I look at the fps on the top left corner on steam games.
    As for the usage of the GPU i check the task manager-> performance >>>

>>>Only when I launch a new heavy game like Forza Horizon 4 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider does it use the 1060 at 95%>>>

Did you ever consider that the game software is designed to interact with the laptop hardware design (and vice-versa) to use just enough laptop resources to play properly without wasting energy? If it was mine, I'd probably judge performance more on how the game itself is behaving than the fps displayed. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• BusTeBlaDe
    JackE said:
    >>>I just run the benchmark on whatever game I am playing or I look at the fps on the top left corner on steam games.
    As for the usage of the GPU i check the task manager-> performance >>>

>>>Only when I launch a new heavy game like Forza Horizon 4 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider does it use the 1060 at 95%>>>

Did you ever consider that the game software is designed to interact with the laptop hardware design (and vice-versa) to use just enough laptop resources to play properly without wasting energy? If it was mine, I'd probably judge performance more on how the game itself is behaving than the fps displayed. Jack E/NJ 

Im aware of it but since this is a gaming machine i didn't think it would be trying to save energy or something like that.
    If this is a typical behaviour of a laptop please let me know.
    Also, how are these guys that are comparing graphics cards on videos always pushing out the max of their setup?
  • JackE
    Seems more typical of laptop designs than those of desktop due to much higher concerns about component congestion and placement constraints. And a laptop GTX1060 chip is no performance, modibility or tweakibility match to a full-blown desktop GTX1060 card. Trade-offs and concessions must be made in deciding between a mobile and not-so-mobile platform.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BusTeBlaDe
    JackE said:
    Seems more typical of laptop designs than those of desktop due to much higher concerns about component congestion and placement constraints. And a laptop GTX1060 chip is no performance, modibility or tweakibility match to a full-blown desktop GTX1060 card. Trade-offs and concessions must be made in deciding between a mobile and not-so-mobile platform.   Jack E/NJ
    So this whole thing is the fact that it is a laptop, then i guess i have nothing to worry about?
  • JackE
    >>>then i guess i have nothing to worry about?>>>

I wouldn't go that far. For instance, >>>while playing lighter games the laptop still gets quite high temperatures(as if the GPU is at 100% but it is not)>>>,  you might want to try using a balanced instead of a performance power plan to see if temperatures are lowered, or using ACER coolboost if available on your QuickAccess version. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It might also depend on the game itself. What games in particular the GPU usage is low?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• BusTeBlaDe
    ven98 said:
    It might also depend on the game itself. What games in particular the GPU usage is low?
    Basically games that don't require crazy specs:
    Dota 2
    CS:GO
    GTA 5
    Rise of the Tomb Raider