Predator Helios 300 Help?

reaLEtyx
reaLEtyx Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey all, I am using a Predator Helios 300 (G3-571) i7 7700HQ with a GTX 1060 and was wondering how to eliminate the problem of blue screening and overheating.
I currently in the past used a ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner Guide from a YouTube user called Hotel Hero which worked on most days but would bump into a blue screen after a long session of gaming. Temperatures maximum for CPU : 75
Temperatures maximum for GPU : 85

Setting used from the video: (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/556191/need-help-blue-screening#latest) <------------- Old post with pictures of settings.
Throttlestop Core and Cache CPU settings : -0.121.1 (
Throttlestop Intel GPU settings :  -0.65.5
MSI Afterburner setting : 1721mhz flat

Also without using any undervolting or overclocking I would get the same blue screen after a long period of gaming.
Temperatures maximum for CPU : 92
Temperatures maximum for GPU : 91

Please help me, I am unaware of what to do as all I want to do on this Laptop is play games. (Especially Destiny 2)

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    reaLEtyx said:
    Hey all, I am using a Predator Helios 300 (G3-571) i7 7700HQ with a GTX 1060 and was wondering how to eliminate the problem of blue screening and overheating.
    I currently in the past used a ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner Guide from a YouTube user called Hotel Hero which worked on most days but would bump into a blue screen after a long session of gaming. Temperatures maximum for CPU : 75

Setting used from the video: (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/556191/need-help-blue-screening#latest) <------------- Old post with pictures of settings.

Also without using any undervolting or overclocking I would get the same blue screen after a long period of gaming.

Please help me, I am unaware of what to do as all I want to do on this Laptop is play games. (Especially Destiny 2)
    If the bsod you are having is because of the undervolt which it would be this error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE  meand that the values you have are not correct you have to keep tweaking it until you get the best settings but it its any other error it's not due to undervolt check what is causing it using bluescreenview

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    Those temps are too high even with undervolt. You need to repaste it and clean the fans of dust. 
    You are in luck. YOu have a 7700HQ CPU meaning that you can use the best thermal paste available: THermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. 
    It is not possible to use liquid metal for 8750H chips (well it is possible, however it would be very stupid and unsafe), however it is fine for the 7700HQ. 
    If you are not used to applying liquid metal, you might want to ask someone, because besides being the best paste available, if not done correctly, you might kill your laptop because it is electrically conductive. 
    Please only use it for the CPU and use traditional paste like MX4 or CoolerMaster Mastergel Maker (not nano!) for the GPU. 

Please note that undervolting the cpu might damage your motherboard! Only undervolt the CPU if you have good VRM cooling!
    The TDP of the CPU will not change when you undervolt, so it will still procuce 45W! However with lower voltage it will need more Ampere to produce this and to do this it will stress the VRMs more and thus the VRMs will run much hotter. If the VRM does not have good enough cooling it can die. 
    Helios 500 users! Acer has good VRM cooling, however they DID NOT put thermal pad on 1 VRM! Design flaw or manufacturer error, I do not know, however if you plan to undervolt, dont forget to check if all your VRMs have thermal pads! If you don't have thermal pad for 1 VRM (like I did), you need to manually add it or that VRM might die !
  • reaLEtyx
    @xapim
    I just had this blue screen just occur.

• reaLEtyx
    @xapim
    Also if undervolting is the case, I have to lower the amount down? For example it’s currently at -0.121.1 and change it too 0.100 or something?
  • fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Try -100 and do not undervolt the Intel VGA, does not make much difference and may make the system unstable. 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    fejerm said:
    Those temps are too high even with undervolt. You need to repaste it and clean the fans of dust. 
    You are in luck. YOu have a 7700HQ CPU meaning that you can use the best thermal paste available: THermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. 
    It is not possible to use liquid metal for 8750H chips (well it is possible, however it would be very stupid and unsafe), however it is fine for the 7700HQ. 
    If you are not used to applying liquid metal, you might want to ask someone, because besides being the best paste available, if not done correctly, you might kill your laptop because it is electrically conductive. 
    Please only use it for the CPU and use traditional paste like MX4 or CoolerMaster Mastergel Maker (not nano!) for the GPU. 

Please note that undervolting the cpu might damage your motherboard! Only undervolt the CPU if you have good VRM cooling!
    The TDP of the CPU will not change when you undervolt, so it will still procuce 45W! However with lower voltage it will need more Ampere to produce this and to do this it will stress the VRMs more and thus the VRMs will run much hotter. If the VRM does not have good enough cooling it can die. 
    Helios 500 users! Acer has good VRM cooling, however they DID NOT put thermal pad on 1 VRM! Design flaw or manufacturer error, I do not know, however if you plan to undervolt, dont forget to check if all your VRMs have thermal pads! If you don't have thermal pad for 1 VRM (like I did), you need to manually add it or that VRM might die !
    That doesn't actually sound correct. Undervolting the CPU actually makes it run at lower wattage. When you decrease the voltage the current is also reduced, because resistance doesn't change. If what you are saying is correct that will apply for the CPU as well(decreasing the voltage increases current to maintain same power). Don't forget that without voltage there is no current and therefore no power. In order to drive high current you need higher voltage and therefore if the voltage is lower, then the current will also be lower for given resistance. If the current output of the VRM was higher this amount of higher current should aslo go to the CPU, it can't just disappear.

That would be right if the input voltage that comes from the psu wasn't constant 12V/5V. But then in this case why the need of VRM, when you can leave the PSU to take care of voltage and just leave a choke/transformer for the CPU. This lower voltage and higher current applies to transformers, but VRM is different. It gets supplied with constant voltage 5V and 12V from the power supply and then this gets converted to the desirable voltage for the CPU.

In a perspective if you increase the voltage of the CPU(just the voltage without the frequency), does that mean the CPU will maintain the some power(e.g 45W), no, it will increase, because more voltage=more current and therefore more power and more stress on VRMs same goes for the opposite when the voltage is decreased. Less voltage=less current and power and therefore less stress on VRMs.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    fejerm said:

There's so much wrong here idk where to begin.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited June 2020
    reaLEtyx said:

Repaste your system or have an Acer tech do it.

The thermal point for your GPU is like 80-85 C. The fact your reaching 91 C at all is pretty strange. 

For the BSOD it depends on what the error message is.. if ANYONE tries to give you advice and claims they know what the problem is (i.e. blaming undervolt) before knowing what the BSOD says, just stop listening to them altogether. You can use a blue screen checker program to pull up previous error codes and send them here for me to see.
    - Hotel Hero