Used Acer recovery CDs to reinstall my Aspire laptop and failed. How do I resolve the problem?

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,574 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you've got the boot option menu, then yes it's already booted. What are the options listed? I think you want to do a complete factory fresh reset, erase everything. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    dakala Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I'll give a complete factory reset another go now.
  • dakala
    Options

Right. Can't proceed beyond this screen I'm afraid. Maybe I need to use Gparted? But then I don't know the partitions to get rid of there. There's a screenshot of the partitions on the previous page.
  • dakala
    Options
    Yeah I had to delete all the partitions. I've got to the "Creating Hard Disk Partitions" screen and decided to accept the default 100% for the OS partition size and let Windows just do the partitioning. Fingers crossed.
  • dakala
    Options
    That'll take some time.

In the meantime, is there any chance these CDs aren't the right ones? I know the label says E5-511 which matches the laptop model and the hardware's the same. The laptop hasn't been used much for about 18 months since my son went off to uni etc. I may be clutching at straws but but I thought buying original CDs would make it a lot easier to these things. Enough ranting :-)
  • JackE
    Options
    The recovery CDs are based on the machine's serial number id (SNID). They should have options to completely wipe the entire disk clean before starting the recovery. The reason you probably got that message was it because it didn't want to also wipe the hidden recovery partition. It should put it back on now that the disk is clean. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    Options
    It's back to square one I'm afraid. Black screen. I can't even get the blue screens for the different reset options :-( I think I'll give up. Sad thing is I only need Windows for 1-2hrs a month :-( 
  • JackE
    Options
    If you can still get the ACER splash screen and into the BIOS menu OK with F2, I'm pretty sure the HDD is the issue here. It's acted strangely from the start. New HDDs and SSDs are incredibly cheaper as well as faster nowadays. You might want to consider replacing it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    Options
    Sure, I get the BIOS menu all right. I'll try a new disk then. Thanks for your help JackE.
  • JackE
    Options
    Good luck with a new HDD or SSD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    Options
    Hi JackE,

Just to give some feedback. I've installed a brand new HDD and it's exactly the same blue screen and "Your PC couldn't be started properly" with error code 0xc0000001 :-( Looks like a different problem altogether. After spending about £90 (Acer disks and new HDD) I've almost lost the appetite for trying to fix this problem.
  • JackE
    Options
    You may need to enter the BIOS menu by tapping F2 immediately after turning the machine on. Then again make sure the new drive is properly recognized in the Info tab. Turn the F12 and D2D boot options on  in the Main tab. Then make sure the new drive is listed in the Boot tab in UEFI mode. You installation CD/DVD drive should probably be listed as first in the Boot tab. If not, make it number one. Then F10 to save settings and exit. Try booting from the Boot Installation CD again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ