Used Acer recovery CDs to reinstall my Aspire laptop and failed. How do I resolve the problem?

dakala
dakala Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I mistakenly wiped my laptop without creating recovery media. I bought a set of 5 recovery CDs from Acer and have followed the process from start to finish a couple of times. Each time, I get a blank screen and when I tried some suggestions from the forum, I get a blue screen saying "Your PC couldn't be started properly" And there's error code 0xc0000001. 

How do I diagnose and resolve this issue please?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Press and hold the power button till the machine completely shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately starting tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. In the Information tab, do you see a description of a hard disk HDD? If possible please post a screenshot and your full ACER model number. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    Hi JackE!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, there's a hard disk (WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0) and it's an Acer Aspire E5-511. See screenshot for more details please. 

• JackE
    OK. If you're still in the BIOS menu, go to the Main tab and make sure the F12 and D2D options are enabled. Then press F10 to save settings and exit. Then press and hold the power button again till the machine completely shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If a recovery screen appears like in the video below, try to reset the machine to factory fresh state this way instead of from the CDs. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuWwuc2oH4

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    I'm on it sir!
  • dakala
    I'm afraid, that didn't work as expected. See the screenshot:

The F8 and ESC keys returned me to the BIOS settings :-(
  • dakala
    The D2D recovery option was disabled before I read your last message. Then I enabled it and tried the Alt + F10 sequence that failed. On a hunch I decided to go over the installation process once again to see if the enabled D2D option will affect the result. Will update this when I finish. 

Thanks!
  • JackE
    The machine has to be completely off before the ALT+F10 procedure will work. You must press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds to make sure it off and all the memory banks are clear. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    OK. Will remember to keep the power button pressed for at least 10 secs.
  • dakala
    I left the laptop turned off overnight and this morning, tried the Alt+F10. Ended up with the blue "Your PC needs to be repaired" screen :-( What to do now :-(
  • JackE
    OK. Looks like the HDD has a problem. Was this machine originally factory installed Win8.1 or Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    I think it had Windows 8. It used to be my son's but I got him a Macbook Air about 2 yrs ago and I want to play around with the laptop now. I must have messed something up. I use a Macbook Pro myself. 

• JackE
    The Win8.1 ACER recovery DVDs should have the tools to try to repair it. Try to boot the CD to see what tool options are available in the set you got. I think we can work from its x:\ command prompt if there are no obvious GUI tools on it.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    Not sure how one can access the command line tools on the CD but there's some progress. I simply checked the partitions with a Ubuntu Live CD and rebooted the machine. I didn't do anything else. Then I tried the Alt+F10 and got the recovery options!!!. I'm currently resetting the machine. Fingers crossed.

• JackE
    Looks good. Gparted is the GUI equivalent of the command line diskpart on your ACER DVDs. Often just running, listing the HDD and exiting diskpart will give a slumbering HDD a wakeup call.  I'll keep my fingers crossed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    It's a slow process - currently at 30%. No mishap yet. Yeah, I doubt if the ACER disks would have been accessible since the HDD was completely wiped out and I wasn't able to go past the first initial "pc needs repair screen". But good to know there's a tool similar to Gparted on my Acer CD. Anyway, let's see how it goes when we get to 100%. Thanks for staying with me on this - much appreciated.
  • JackE
    Strange. The HDD partitions look OK according to GPartEd. I suspect an intermittent HDD power issue. Could be its mainboard connector. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    Still can't boot into Windows but now when I use Alt+F10 I get the different options. I've tried a couple of them without success. See one of the screens I now get:

After doing the startup repair:

• JackE
    It's probably quicker to try to boot to the ACER recovery DVD now. Have you tried that? We may have to change BIOS settings. Put the DVD in the tray. Shut the machine off. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. The DVD boot option should appear. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dakala
    Thanks JackE! I've got a set of 5 CDs and I've got the Boot Option menu right now. 
  • dakala
    I've got 5 CDs - 

Bootable SCD (I presume, that's the System CD)
    BASE RCD (Recovery CD?) 1, 2 3
    Language Pack LPCD

Only the 1st one should be bootable, right?