Swift 1 keeps freezing up

Answers

• Les51
    Les51 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same issue as the rest of you.  I have only had the Acer for one month and it freezes up about every 10-15 minutes.  Particularly bad with youtube and movie downloads, but it has also frozen up at other times when I work in Word or Excel.  Any suggestions or should I just return it?
  • mikefoxtrot
    mikefoxtrot Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    Les51 said:
    I am having the same issue as the rest of you.  I have only had the Acer for one month and it freezes up about every 10-15 minutes.  Particularly bad with youtube and movie downloads, but it has also frozen up at other times when I work in Word or Excel.  Any suggestions or should I just return it?
    Read a couple of the posts before your, try to install intel video drivers linked by Manith and report back if the freezes disappears ;-)
  • mucky
    mucky Member Posts: 2 New User
    Manith said:
    I am currently working on a Swift sf113-31 having the same freezing issues. It doesn't matter if it was plugged in or not it would still freeze. It seems to happen super quick in the photo's app.  I have done a fresh install of Win 10 1809 and the freezing continued after updating. I have tried that audio driver but it didn't help at all.

I believe the issue is with the Intel video driver since Intel put all their drivers through Windows Update last month. Rolling back the driver to the Windows Basic Display Adapter has stopped the freezing for this computer. I am next going to test Intel's now "legacy" drivers to see if they perform better since the Windows Basic driver is a bit laggy on this machine. I'll report back with what I find.
    I think you're right, I'm testing an intel video drivers (not the latest cause the latest intel's drivers downloaded from official page are not installing, it reports that user needs to use manufacturer's custom drivers) , if someone wanna try (I'm testing right now and no freezing so far) please use usual precautions (backup etc...) and please report back findings

Link: https://mega.nz/#!WwYxmKjB!J4hU79dJe3kL3aUqpKvugl021bkXc29ZzB5TxnCl7Mg

This Update worked out perfectly for me. thanks a lot dudee!!!👍
  • seriunen
    seriunen Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited December 2018
    mucky said:
    I am having the same problem for a while now so I made some tests about the problem only occuring while watching youtube, netflix etc. I found out that it has northing to do with watching videos or running apps but more with moving the mouse. If you are plugged in to the power supply and keep moving the mouse around everything works fine, but as soon as you stop using your computer for typing clicking etc it freezes. Dunno if this helps or not but maybe someone can figure out something with this information.
    p.s sorry for my english I am German
    cheers

Moin, genau das  ist das Ding, wenn die Maus ruhig ist und ich schee Käffchen mache und wieder zum Schreibtisch komme ist es im freeze. Acer Support hat mir Updates per Email geschickt für BIOS usw, aber es ist eben wieder passiert. Abfuck.

Hello, that's exactly the thing, when the mouse is quiet and I make mischief and back to the desk, it is in the freeze. Acer Support sent me updates via email for BIOS etc, but it just happened again. ******.

[Post edited as the member posted in German language -Acer-Harvey]
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi all,

Thank you all for reporting this, we have escalated the issue to the engineering team and we are currently working closely with Intel, we hope to have a solution soon. I will post any feedback or information on this as soon i get a response on this behalf.

Thank you all for your patience,
    Acer-Manny 
  • Grachtel
    Grachtel Member Posts: 3 New User
    @Acer-Manny

I hope you find a solution very soon! All the things Acer Tec Support said to me (mentioned earlier in the thread, like Windows re- Install or Audio Driver) does not work!

Reinstall an old version of drivers can't be a legit solution….

It may work, but i dont spend my money, to get a new device that can't run latest Windows...

• w311if7
    w311if7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @Acer-Manny somewhat same issue, i'll leave the laptop and come back to a frozen screen requiring hard shutdown/restart - has not occurred during use yet...
  • seriunen
    seriunen Member Posts: 3 New User
    It seems to be solved. Acer sent me a new graphics driver and now I can't notice some errors anymore.
  • NewPasaCon
    NewPasaCon Member Posts: 1 New User
    @seriunen - how did you get Acer to send you drivers?  Thanks in advance!
  • Grachtel
    Grachtel Member Posts: 3 New User
    Yes, please post a link or upload it. Thanks!
  • Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Got my Acer Swift 1 today. Very happy with it so far. Reading this made me worried. But no problems so far. Also glad to read that this has been reported and hopefully patched. If not I noticed someone posted a link earlier in this thread for a solution. 

But as @Grachtel says, a link from acer and confirmation from @Acer-Manny would be much appreciated. :)
  • PithyProlix
    PithyProlix Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    @Acer-Manny - Do you have an update on a solution for this problem? This is a very disruptive problem.

The fix that was suggested by someone before - reverting to an earlier video driver - no longer works on my laptop. Perhaps the driver on my Swift 1 was automatically updated by Windows since I installed the old one, though.
  • whittlebeast
    whittlebeast Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have this issue and have about 3 days in playing with it.  I have reloaded the box twice at this point.  When it happens, it appears only killing the power and forcing a power down is the only recovery.  Closing the lid, Control Alt Del... have no effect.  Backdating drivers is not a good long term solution.
  • Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    I have this issue and have about 3 days in playing with it.  I have reloaded the box twice at this point.  When it happens, it appears only killing the power and forcing a power down is the only recovery.  Closing the lid, Control Alt Del... have no effect.  Backdating drivers is not a good long term solution.
    I have no problems yet, but if this isnt fixed by acer very soon I will return my computer anyway. I don't want this to happen when my "return right" goes away.  It's a total disaster! 
  • RogueX
    RogueX Member Posts: 2 New User
    My computer keeps freezing - :( I have updated, uninstalled, factory reset...did a bunch of stuff people told me to do like uninstall chrome, scanned for errors etc... I did notice that my computer does get hot faster than usual. When I use my computer continuously it is fine but if I stop for more than five minutes it freezes. I've had this computer for 6 or so months and I really need it for school. Please help me!
  • whittlebeast
    I have a short term solution.  After every windows update, you need to reinstall the original video drivers.  I downloaded them from Acer using my SNID:  I quicker fix is to go into control panel and disable the Intel display adapter.  Acer and Microsoft need to sort this out quickly.  It re breaks with every Windows update.
  • RogueX
    RogueX Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have a short term solution.  After every windows update, you need to reinstall the original video drivers.  I downloaded them from Acer using my SNID:  I quicker fix is to go into control panel and disable the Intel display adapter.  Acer and Microsoft need to sort this out quickly.  It re breaks with every Windows update.
    Thank you! I will try this. Hopefully, they find out what the issue is and help us :)
  • PithyProlix
    Thanks for the suggestion.

When I go to the support download page for my SNID I can find only one video driver, even when selecting "All" drivers rather than just "Latest". 
    VGA Driver
    Date: 2017/04/26
    Version: 21.20.16.4599
    Vendor: Intel Size: 242.3 MB

Maybe I am missing something but it appears that the original driver is the latest. ?
  • PithyProlix
    @Acer-Manny - Please update us on the status of this problem.
  • whittlebeast
    Thanks for the suggestion.

When I go to the support download page for my SNID I can find only one video driver, even when selecting "All" drivers rather than just "Latest". 
    VGA Driver
    Date: 2017/04/26
    Version: 21.20.16.4599
    Vendor: Intel Size: 242.3 MB

Maybe I am missing something but it appears that the original driver is the latest. ?
    Yes that is the one that repairs your computer till your next Windows update.
This discussion has been closed.