Options

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2018
    Options
    vanadium said:
    Well, increasing RAM speed mostly doesn't result in any performance gain:

It's the best way to waste money. That being said, I was able to overclock the factory Hynix DDR4 2400Mhz to 2933Mhz (21-21-21-43) by modding the bios (to unlock custom memory settings):

The performance improvement was barely noticeable. I'm running 2x16GB G skill 2666Mhz along with the 2400mhz sticks right now, everything at 2666Mhz (19-19-19-43). That's a total of 48GB, with 24GB on each channel.

If you want to fully exploit 3200Mhz RAM, then you will need to mod the bios and remove the factory RAM by entirely disassembling the laptop. Not easy but feasible. You may see 0% to 5% performance improvement.

First of all, i've seen your post before as it came up on google when i was looking for any useful information on this subject. I'm honestly impressed with what you did. If i'm going to do it - i'm not going to do it myself. For 35 EUR a local laptop service is going to replace stock RAM sticks without any hassle. I talked with Acer as well - they told me that replacement of stock RAM sticks will not void the warranty. I do realize that if i go for something higher than 2400 Mhz i will have to mod the BIOS as you did. but what about warranty after modding BIOS? this is another issue. I am indeed worried that it's simply not worth the trouble. Although i hate to see this AMD not to live its full potential. The most sane option would be to buy a set of two 2666 Mhz sticks and get over it.
    Modded bios will definitely void warranty lol unless when you send it u had flashed the stock bios first this and if you didn't had any seals in any screw when disassembling it, and (in my opinion) i wouldn't pay any money to anyone to either swap memory, hdd neither even repaste or clean it :p, i would and always will do it myself because at least i know what im doing and i don't trust anyone else to do it i already saw loads of useless ppl working in tech/repair stores that they do not have a single clue of what they are doing and that really pisses me off lol

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• skyrunner86
    skyrunner86 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
     It depends where you look at on the internet, sometimes they will tell you the performance gain is marginal. Sometimes it's around 20 FPS difference between 2400 and 3200:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQAtsKX3mE
  • skyrunner86
    Options
    xapim said:
    vanadium said:
    Well, increasing RAM speed mostly doesn't result in any performance gain:

It's the best way to waste money. That being said, I was able to overclock the factory Hynix DDR4 2400Mhz to 2933Mhz (21-21-21-43) by modding the bios (to unlock custom memory settings):

The performance improvement was barely noticeable. I'm running 2x16GB G skill 2666Mhz along with the 2400mhz sticks right now, everything at 2666Mhz (19-19-19-43). That's a total of 48GB, with 24GB on each channel.

If you want to fully exploit 3200Mhz RAM, then you will need to mod the bios and remove the factory RAM by entirely disassembling the laptop. Not easy but feasible. You may see 0% to 5% performance improvement.

First of all, i've seen your post before as it came up on google when i was looking for any useful information on this subject. I'm honestly impressed with what you did. If i'm going to do it - i'm not going to do it myself. For 35 EUR a local laptop service is going to replace stock RAM sticks without any hassle. I talked with Acer as well - they told me that replacement of stock RAM sticks will not void the warranty. I do realize that if i go for something higher than 2400 Mhz i will have to mod the BIOS as you did. but what about warranty after modding BIOS? this is another issue. I am indeed worried that it's simply not worth the trouble. Although i hate to see this AMD not to live its full potential. The most sane option would be to buy a set of two 2666 Mhz sticks and get over it.
    Modded bios will definitely void warranty lol unless when you send it u had flashed the stock bios first this and if you didn't had any seals in any screw when disassembling it, and (in my opinion) i wouldn't pay any money to anyone to either swap memory, hdd neither even repaste or clean it :p, i would and always will do it myself because at least i know what im doing and i don't trust anyone else to do it i already saw loads of useless ppl working in tech/repair stores that they do not have a single clue of what they are doing and that really pisses me off lol
    I totally expected modding bios voids warranty - i just wondered if reflashing back to stock is all i'd need to do in case i need my warranty. I have some trusted laptop repair stores around and i'm not that confident with disassembling entire laptop by myself. 
  • vanadium
    vanadium Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Fitting new ram sticks takes about 5min and a screwdriver. That's not worth 35€.

Honestly, it's more difficult to do an oil change on a car than disassembling the Acer helios 500. Was surprised how easy it was. Also have seen lots of people working in computer repair shops not knowing what they were doing. But, if you find a repair shop who is also capable of repairing damaged motherboards (by replacing damaged components on it), then you know you're talking to experts. Otherwise you're just talking to people who have basically the same skills as you. (except they charge you for this)
  • skyrunner86
    edited November 2018
    Options
    vanadium said:
    Fitting new ram sticks takes about 5min and a screwdriver. That's not worth 35€.

Honestly, it's more difficult to do an oil change on a car than disassembling the Acer helios 500. Was surprised how easy it was. Also have seen lots of people working in computer repair shops not knowing what they were doing. But, if you find a repair shop who is also capable of repairing damaged motherboards (by replacing damaged components on it), then you know you're talking to experts. Otherwise you're just talking to people who have basically the same skills as you. (except they charge you for this)
    Yeah, fitting new RAM sticks into free slots is easy indeed. I could do it myself. They want 35 eur for disassembling the whole laptop to get to factory sticks underneath the keyboard. This is more tricky and i rather outsource such activity.
  • vanadium
    Options
    This will void the warranty. And I don't see the point unless you only want to run 2x16GB at 2666Mhz, or 4x16GB. I have made benches at 2400Mhz and 2666Mhz on the I7 8750h, there is not much difference. Can be that Ryzen could be a little faster, but don't expert more than 1 to 5% improvement overall, which is imperceptible.

Bios mod can be done without removing the motherboard from the laptop body, which is my mind is safer (only software modification). You can easily run the ram à 2933Mhz CAS 21 then, and have 48GB RAM total.
  • skyrunner86
    edited November 2018
    Options
    vanadium said:
    This will void the warranty. And I don't see the point unless you only want to run 2x16GB at 2666Mhz, or 4x16GB. I have made benches at 2400Mhz and 2666Mhz on the I7 8750h, there is not much difference. Can be that Ryzen could be a little faster, but don't expert more than 1 to 5% improvement overall, which is imperceptible.

Bios mod can be done without removing the motherboard from the laptop body, which is my mind is safer (only software modification). You can easily run the ram à 2933Mhz CAS 21 then, and have 48GB RAM total.
    Yeah I think i'll go for HyperX Impact 16GB [2x8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL15 SODIMM] 1.2V . I was thinking about 32 GBs but honestly i don't believe i will be ever capable to use more than 32GB. In the laptop i'm currently using i have 24 GB, doing web development using Docker containers including memory hungry ones like elastic search and i never hit low memory problem. 
  • vanadium
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Also doing web development along with Docker and Elasticsearch, 48GB plays nicely on Ubuntu 18.04LTS as the operating system uses lots of RAM for file caching. But, that being said, i'm also not using more than 32GB of RAM. The thing is, I had a great deal on G skill 32GB (2x16GB) 2666Mhz RAM on Ebay (got them for 175€) so it was definitely worth buying them, even if I don't really need all that RAM.

HyperX 2666Mhz CAS15 is among the best DDR4 sodimm available at the moment, but it's quite expensive.

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    All RAM chips are either Micron, Hynix or Samsung.
    Paying more for a brand is a waste of money, especially on a laptop.
    - Hotel Hero
  • xapim
    edited November 2018
    Options
    vanadium said:
    Also doing web development along with Docker and Elasticsearch, 48GB plays nicely on Ubuntu 18.04LTS as the operating system uses lots of RAM for file caching. But, that being said, i'm also not using more than 32GB of RAM. The thing is, I had a great deal on G skill 32GB (2x16GB) 2666Mhz RAM on Ebay (got them for 175€) so it was definitely worth buying them, even if I don't really need all that RAM.

HyperX 2666Mhz CAS15 is among the best DDR4 sodimm available at the moment, but it's quite expensive.

I know lol mine costed me almost £380 2x16 :)

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• skyrunner86
    Options
    Just as a final note to this thread.

Currently i have a combination of 2400 and 2666 ram sticks so in the end i'm clocked down to 2400. Or at least i thought so, until i opened CPU-Z where i noticed that RAM frequency was around 900 Mhz. So i opened AMD Ryzen Master and noticed that Memory is clocked down in this application to 933 Mhz. I bumped it up 1333 Mhz, it asked me to restart. I restarted and CPU-Z, showed me 1180Mhz and in Ryzen Master RAM frequency was set to 1200 Mhz. Cool. And this is the moment when i should have let it go, being happy that RAM is running up to max speed without modding BIOS. But then i've noticed that the latency was also set to quite high number (can't remember what). So i entered Game Mode profile in AMD Ryzen Master (CAS latency 13 clocks), i only bumped the Memory Clock to something around 1666 Mhz leaving other settings as they were. Now, i was a little bit afraid but last time it limited me down to max possible value without causing any harm. So i restarted and then i was bombarded by BSODs. I was unable to successfully start Windows, it was a nightmare. BSODs were appearing with many different errors (memory_management, attempted_execute_of_noexecute_memory, critical_process_died, etc.) in various stages of Windows startup. The furthest i've ever made was to see Windows login screen and another BSOD immediately after that. I've managed to run windows in recovery mode with command line but it was no good as i didn't know how to reset RAM settings from command line level (there was no console apps i could run in Ryzen Master directory either to reset the clocking). So obviously the only thing that worked was to disassembly the bottom cover and get my hands on BIOS battery so i could reset CMOS. Lesson learned. This is current memory setting i'm running:

Due to my recent adventure, i'm really reluctant to change anything here. I'll leave it as is. The bottom line is if you have AMD Ryzen version of Acer Helios 500, check out if AMD Ryzen Master settings aren't limiting down your RAM sticks and if you're planning to make any changes here, be very careful.
  • xapim
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hope there is a lesson to learn here do not mix memory which is not the same latency/clocks/brand and expect to work at least at the lowest clocks might not even work and if you try to overclock it it will be even worse u end up by crashing the os

Acer support:

• skyrunner86
    edited November 2018
    Options
    xapim said:
    Hope there is a lesson to learn here do not mix memory which is not the same latency/clocks/brand and expect to work at least at the lowest clocks might not even work and if you try to overclock it it will be even worse u end up by crashing the os
    in the future i plan to mod the BIOS and run all sticks at 2666 Mhz, other people proved it's totally doable. it is also way easier to revert the overclocking in case issues like this come up.
  • conquerator2
    conquerator2 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    So if I want to use up all of the 64GBs of available RAM, is really the max frequency 2133Mhz (without BIOS flashing)? If so, It's difficult to find DDR4 SO-DIM RAMs clocked lower than 2400MHz.

• skyrunner86
    Options
    So if I want to use up all of the 64GBs of available RAM, is really the max frequency 2133Mhz (without BIOS flashing)? If so, It's difficult to find DDR4 SO-DIM RAMs clocked lower than 2400MHz.

The max frequency without modding BIOS is either 2400Mhz or 2666 MHz. I can't prove which one as i have a mix of stock 2400s sticks and 2666s i purchased myself additionally. Because they're mixed, the faster ones are clocked down to 2400 MHz. With CPU-Z i noticed that all of them are running even slower, but i boosted them up to 2400 MHz using AMD Ryzen Master as you can see in the image i posted earlier. I messed up when i wanted to boost latency, that was my mistake. In the end they're running in dual channel at 2400 MHz with CL17 latency. AMD motherboard can handle up to 3200 MHz (at least AIDA64 says so) but it's not going to work without modding.
  • conquerator2

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    Options

The max frequency without modding BIOS is either 2400Mhz or 2666 MHz. I can't prove which one as i have a mix of stock 2400s sticks and 2666s i purchased myself additionally. Because they're mixed, the faster ones are clocked down to 2400 MHz. With CPU-Z i noticed that all of them are running even slower, but i boosted them up to 2400 MHz using AMD Ryzen Master as you can see in the image i posted earlier. I messed up when i wanted to boost latency, that was my mistake. In the end they're running in dual channel at 2400 MHz with CL17 latency. AMD motherboard can handle up to 3200 MHz (at least AIDA64 says so) but it's not going to work without modding.

Thank you! 
    Yes, I read through the thread. Sorry about your experience  Mixing different RAMs is not a good idea.
    I wonder though, if I buy 2666Mhz RAM  will it run at 2400Mhz automatically if it can't at 2666 or will it not work at all? 
  • conquerator2

Tinkerer

Options
    I also wonder if HyoerX Impact is supported by Ryzen? That's the only RAM I could find locally
  • conquerator2

Tinkerer

Options
    So I was able to run my 4 x 16GB sticks at C14 2400Mhz. They are natively C15 2666Mhz so there's indeed a 2400 cap with all slots occupied.
  • vanadium
    Options

in the future i plan to mod the BIOS and run all sticks at 2666 Mhz, other people proved it's totally doable. it is also way easier to revert the overclocking in case issues like this come up.
    It's not easier sadly. I have modded bios. Once I messed up the memory bios settings (tried 3200Mhz), and the machine wasn't booting anymore. Removing CMOS battery didn't help either. Had to reflash bios with modded bios again to fix this. It seems like some bios settings are written into the bios chip. Any wrong setting and you have to disassemble the laptop, and reflash the bios again. Doable, but definitely not easy.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    vanadium said:
    It's not easier sadly. I have modded bios. Once I messed up the memory bios settings (tried 3200Mhz), and the machine wasn't booting anymore. Removing CMOS battery didn't help either. Had to reflash bios with modded bios again to fix this. It seems like some bios settings are written into the bios chip. Any wrong setting and you have to disassemble the laptop, and reflash the bios again. Doable, but definitely not easy.
    +1 to this. Modding bios stands a risk of bricking device. Be warned.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045