MX150 vBIOS overrided with MX130 vBIOS

Options
nr4400
nr4400 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,

I updated BIOS to v1.21 what is specially for <Update MX130 VBIOS 82.08.77.00.29.>.
Before update I didn't pay enough attention, so right now on my MX150 is MX130 vBIOS.

Windows is not recognizing nVidias GPU, its not appearing in Device Manager (also as hidden not).

I tryed to downgrade bios versions but with no luck.

Is there any possibility to flash back MX150 vBIOS?

Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G

Kind regards,
nr4400

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Options
  • nr4400

Tinkerer

Options
    I downgraded BIOS versions successfully, but non of them contained MX150 vBIOS, I think.
    Or need to change something more to active vBIOS update?
    I downgraded to 1.20 > 1.19 > 1.15 > 1.12

MX150 still not working.
  • JackE
    Options
    Do you recall what the BIOS version number was when the card was working? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nr4400

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Do you recall what the BIOS version number was when the card was working? Jack E/NJ
    Unfortunately no.

/nr4400
  • JackE
    Options
    There is no v1.12 listed for your machine!!! Where did you download that one from?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Here @JackE:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks @egydiocoelho . About when did you purchase the machine @nr4400 ?  Try to go back to the version that comes closest to that date. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nr4400

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Thanks @egydiocoelho . About when did you purchase the machine @nr4400 ?  Try to go back to the version that comes closest to that date. Jack E/NJ
    It came with BIOS V1.09, but I have no idea how to downgrade to that version, because its having different BIOSVersionFormat .N.NN.NN.

My acer full model:
    Aspire 5 A515-51G-885Q
    P/N: NX.GTCEL.003

And I checked that there are two different MX150 chips, and I don't know which is in my Acer:
    N175-G1-A1
    N175-LG-A1

I see only few options:
    1. Best scenario that Acer create VBIOS update also for MX150 (same as it was for MX130 (with BIOS V1.21), what I accidently installed)
    2. Someone somehow copy its VBIOS from MX150 and share it with me.
    3. What I tried, downgrade to previous BIOS versions with hope that one of it contains MX150 VBIOS.
  • JackE
    Options
    Did you try both ways to downgrade to try to install v1.09 in my earlier thread? https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/606726/#Comment_606726

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nr4400

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Did you try both ways to downgrade to try to install v1.09 in my earlier thread? https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/606726/#Comment_606726

Jack E/NJ

Now I successfully downgraded to 1.09, but it also didn't contained MX150 Video BIOS.
    MX150 still not working.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>It came with BIOS V1.09>>>

v1.09 was released Sept 26, 2017. Did you purchase the machine before or after this date? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    If this bios only works correctly on models with mx130, why did not Acer lock out that version of bios 1.21 for models with mx150? I consider this problem a serious mistake on the part of Acer! There should be some kind of blockage!
    I think a possible solution would be to rewrite the bios with a low level program like dmitoolsx64! However this procedure is much riskier than the bios downgrade itself!
    I think you should try downloading bios soon for the first version available on the site! The 1.05 version!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options
    Probably. But I have an uneasy feeling that the machine might've been purchased before June 27, 2017 with a version even earlier than v1.05. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nr4400

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>It came with BIOS V1.09>>>

v1.09 was released Sept 26, 2017. Did you purchase the machine before or after this date? Jack E/NJ

JackE said:
    Probably. But I have an uneasy feeling that the machine might've been purchased before June 27, 2017 with a version even earlier than v1.05. Jack E/NJ
    I bought laptop approximately 3 months ago.

If this bios only works correctly on models with mx130, why did not Acer lock out that version of bios 1.21 for models with mx150? I consider this problem a serious mistake on the part of Acer! There should be some kind of blockage!
    I think a possible solution would be to rewrite the bios with a low level program like dmitoolsx64! However this procedure is much riskier than the bios downgrade itself!
    I think you should try downloading bios soon for the first version available on the site! The 1.05 version!
    That was my question too, because usually there should be some validations, but in this case there wasn't any.
    But I'm not sure which BIOS version contains MX150 Video BIOS. Of course I can try to downgrade to V1.05 using some low level tool and hope that would help.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @nr4400Only a question! In the device manager, is the video card also being recognized as mx130? I do not think it's worth it as you try to downgrade the bios by rewriting the bios with dmitools because, as I told you before, it's a much riskier procedure than the downgrade itself! You can try lowering bios to version 1.05 in the same way you are currently trying!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• nr4400

Tinkerer

Options
    @nr4400Only a question! In the device manager, is the video card also being recognized as mx130? I do not think it's worth it as you try to downgrade the bios by rewriting the bios with dmitools because, as I told you before, it's a much riskier procedure than the downgrade itself! You can try lowering bios to version 1.05 in the same way you are currently trying!
    As I mentioned before, nVidias GPU is not showing in Device Manager (also as hidden not).
    Okay, than I will try to downgrade to 1.05 using the same method as for previous downgrades.
  • JackE
    Options
    To add to the confusion, the earlier MX150 models came with two versions of the MX150. Refer to this thread. May have some nuggets. Jack E/NJ
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547440/what-version-of-mx150-gpu-is-in-acer-aspire-a515-51g-58gj

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    If v1.05 doesn't do it for you, I suggest double-checking what you have with GPUz. If it a 150 variant, it probably would be safer to let ACER warranty repair service fix the BIOS firmware. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• nr4400

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    To add to the confusion, the earlier MX150 models came with two versions of the MX150. Refer to this thread. May have some nuggets. Jack E/NJ
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547440/what-version-of-mx150-gpu-is-in-acer-aspire-a515-51g-58gj

nr4400 said:
    JackE said:
    It came with BIOS V1.09, but I have no idea how to downgrade to that version, because its having different BIOSVersionFormat .N.NN.NN.

My acer full model:
    Aspire 5 A515-51G-885Q
    P/N: NX.GTCEL.003

And I checked that there are two different MX150 chips, and I don't know which is in my Acer:
    N175-G1-A1
    N175-LG-A1

I see only few options:
    1. Best scenario that Acer create VBIOS update also for MX150 (same as it was for MX130 (with BIOS V1.21), what I accidently installed)
    2. Someone somehow copy its VBIOS from MX150 and share it with me.
    3. What I tried, downgrade to previous BIOS versions with hope that one of it contains MX150 VBIOS.
    If OS is not seeing GPU then soft also will not see it.

I will try to go with service, but I'm not sure if they will take this case in warranty.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Could the recovery crisis method solve this problem? Would this violate Acer's ACUA agreement that was recently made available to ACE users?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer