Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Unlocked BIOS request for the Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R2GU ( Ryzen 5 2500u )

JohnnyKJohnnyK Posts: 22Member Troubleshooter
Hello,

is there a way to get an unlocked BIOS (insydeh20 5.0) for the laptop or to modify it via tools (i.e. like AMIBCP for AMI BIOS)? I would like to disable cool'n'quite/undervolt/underclock the CPU to squeeze out some more power for the GPU, because the TDP limit doesn't allow both to be at 100% clockspeed. If I change the max. CPU performance for the current powerplan to anything below 100%, its clock is always set to 1600MHz - this allows the GPU to run with full clockspeed but the CPU is too weak for most of the games then. Secondly, the CPU begins to throttle at 75°C which is too early imo, Acer needs to fix this (I tried BIOS 1.08 and 1.09, same thing). I already changed the thermalpaste so the warranty is voided anyways.
I appreciate the help.

FAQ & Answers

• Levi21xDLevi21xD Posts: 35Member Troubleshooter
    JohnnyK said:
    Hello,

is there a way to get an unlocked BIOS (insydeh20 5.0) for the laptop or to modify it via tools (i.e. like AMIBCP for AMI BIOS)? I would like to disable cool'n'quite/undervolt/underclock the CPU to squeeze out some more power for the GPU, because the TDP limit doesn't allow both to be at 100% clockspeed. If I change the max. CPU performance for the current powerplan to anything below 100%, its clock is always set to 1600MHz - this allows the GPU to run with full clockspeed but the CPU is too weak for most of the games then. Secondly, the CPU begins to throttle at 75°C which is too early imo, Acer needs to fix this (I tried BIOS 1.08 and 1.09, same thing). I already changed the thermalpaste so the warranty is voided anyways.
    I appreciate the help.

Ayy.. I just made a new thread about that same thing... But I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for .. so the tdp ain't gonna be customizable for our Swift 3?... I've seen many gameplays of hp envy x360 but seems like it was 25w and ours is stuck with 15w.. sad tho... Hey let me know if you found something to increase the potential.. I've been asking around about the tdp myself but most people say it's not possible (and also I've learnt not to update bios as it turns out it reduces performance for better temp) try updating to latest driver mannually? Some of the gameplays and benchmarks I've seen are from this adrenaline driver
  • JohnnyKJohnnyK Posts: 22Member Troubleshooter
    edited October 16
    Levi21xD said:
    Ayy.. I just made a new thread about that same thing... But I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for .. so the tdp ain't gonna be customizable for our Swift 3?... I've seen many gameplays of hp envy x360 but seems like it was 25w and ours is stuck with 15w.. sad tho... Hey let me know if you found something to increase the potential.. I've been asking around about the tdp myself but most people say it's not possible (and also I've learnt not to update bios as it turns out it reduces performance for better temp) try updating to latest driver mannually? Some of the gameplays and benchmarks I've seen are from this adrenaline driver
    I don't have the Swift 3. You can always "update" to an earlier BIOS by modifing the platform.ini at "[Bios_Version_Check]" setting to "Flag=0". I already updated to the latest driver (24.20.13017.1009 , RX Vega) because the driver package from acer gives me an LSD-Experience in many games.
    Recently I detected a weird cpu-clocking behaviour which could be due to the windows power configuration (happend with both BIOSs) which I might start a new thread about - 20% performance loss in multi-threaded applications is HUGE and not acceptable.