Unlocked BIOS request for the Acer Aspire 3 A315-41-R2GU ( Ryzen 5 2500u )

JohnnyK
JohnnyK Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,

is there a way to get an unlocked BIOS (insydeh20 5.0) for the laptop or to modify it via tools (i.e. like AMIBCP for AMI BIOS)? I would like to disable cool'n'quite/undervolt/underclock the CPU to squeeze out some more power for the GPU, because the TDP limit doesn't allow both to be at 100% clockspeed. If I change the max. CPU performance for the current powerplan to anything below 100%, its clock is always set to 1600MHz - this allows the GPU to run with full clockspeed but the CPU is too weak for most of the games then. Secondly, the CPU begins to throttle at 75°C which is too early imo, Acer needs to fix this (I tried BIOS 1.08 and 1.09, same thing). I already changed the thermalpaste so the warranty is voided anyways.
I appreciate the help.

Answers

• Levi21xD
    Levi21xD Member Posts: 62 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    JohnnyK said:
    Hello,

is there a way to get an unlocked BIOS (insydeh20 5.0) for the laptop or to modify it via tools (i.e. like AMIBCP for AMI BIOS)? I would like to disable cool'n'quite/undervolt/underclock the CPU to squeeze out some more power for the GPU, because the TDP limit doesn't allow both to be at 100% clockspeed. If I change the max. CPU performance for the current powerplan to anything below 100%, its clock is always set to 1600MHz - this allows the GPU to run with full clockspeed but the CPU is too weak for most of the games then. Secondly, the CPU begins to throttle at 75°C which is too early imo, Acer needs to fix this (I tried BIOS 1.08 and 1.09, same thing). I already changed the thermalpaste so the warranty is voided anyways.
    I appreciate the help.

Ayy.. I just made a new thread about that same thing... But I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for .. so the tdp ain't gonna be customizable for our Swift 3?... I've seen many gameplays of hp envy x360 but seems like it was 25w and ours is stuck with 15w.. sad tho... Hey let me know if you found something to increase the potential.. I've been asking around about the tdp myself but most people say it's not possible (and also I've learnt not to update bios as it turns out it reduces performance for better temp) try updating to latest driver mannually? Some of the gameplays and benchmarks I've seen are from this adrenaline driver
  • JohnnyK
    JohnnyK Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    edited October 2018
    Levi21xD said:
    Ayy.. I just made a new thread about that same thing... But I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for .. so the tdp ain't gonna be customizable for our Swift 3?... I've seen many gameplays of hp envy x360 but seems like it was 25w and ours is stuck with 15w.. sad tho... Hey let me know if you found something to increase the potential.. I've been asking around about the tdp myself but most people say it's not possible (and also I've learnt not to update bios as it turns out it reduces performance for better temp) try updating to latest driver mannually? Some of the gameplays and benchmarks I've seen are from this adrenaline driver
    I don't have the Swift 3. You can always "update" to an earlier BIOS by modifing the platform.ini at "[Bios_Version_Check]" setting to "Flag=0". I already updated to the latest driver (24.20.13017.1009 , RX Vega) because the driver package from acer gives me an LSD-Experience in many games.
    Recently I detected a weird cpu-clocking behaviour which could be due to the windows power configuration (happend with both BIOSs) which I might start a new thread about - 20% performance loss in multi-threaded applications is HUGE and not acceptable.

• ST44RK7
    ST44RK7 Member Posts: 2 New User
    The Swift 3 2500U model runs at 25Ws (30W Boost at the beginning then a steady 25Ws) It used to be stuck at 15W but the latest BIOS unlocks it to take advantage of the full 25W it's rated for, the issue is 25Ws isn't enough power to run the CPU and GPU both at full speeds at once so when the system is under full load the GPU will get priority (when gaming e.c.t) and the CPU speeds will drop off to compensate. Also if you are wanting the latest AMD GPU Drivers you can sideload them relatively easily in about 15 mins. So long as Temps are below 75C the 2500U will run at it's full potential at 25Ws on the latest BIOS.
  • Levi21xD
    Levi21xD Member Posts: 62 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    ST44RK7 said:
    The Swift 3 2500U model runs at 25Ws (30W Boost at the beginning then a steady 25Ws) It used to be stuck at 15W but the latest BIOS unlocks it to take advantage of the full 25W it's rated for, the issue is 25Ws isn't enough power to run the CPU and GPU both at full speeds at once so when the system is under full load the GPU will get priority (when gaming e.c.t) and the CPU speeds will drop off to compensate. Also if you are wanting the latest AMD GPU Drivers you can sideload them relatively easily in about 15 mins. So long as Temps are below 75C the 2500U will run at it's full potential at 25Ws on the latest BIOS.
    I frekin forgot about this comment I made.   Sorry about that here

Everything is just fine 2 month now..