[Last Chance] Unexpected Reboots on E5-553-1786, many tests made...

FerchogtX
FerchogtX Member Posts: 61 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello all!

I write this words in hope somebody can help me go to the core of the problem I'm facing here.

Basically, since all 2017 up to this date, I've been having unexpected reboots on this laptop, bought in Nov 2016, what happens is that, whatever I am doing, when it's about to reboot out of nothing it stutters, like resisting to reboot, and then, it does that. Sometimes, it takes a month until that happens, sometimes a week, sometimes two days, sometimes two months...

This machine has nothing changed, except for a faster 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, the last BIOS version I'm using is 1.19 (I reverted after thinking 1.31 had something bad), I'm on Windows 10 x64 1803.

I've been testing, from the ram (with memtest86+, nothing found), to the HDD (even it's new and has no SMART errors), I even opened the laptop and cleaned and removed dust, even re-seated the battery (that seems to be dying soon) and even tested with a 65 Watt charger that matches specifications for output (one of the latest reboots was using said charger, also I tried a 65 W charger in hopes it was because the default 45 W one that came with this laptop wasn't enough...)... The system still does that.

I'm starting to believe that the motherboard or the processor have a problem... so yeah, my warranty is over and I don't expect anything else, more than probably just getting a good retailer in Mexico that is able to send me the motherboard (with the processor, as it's embedded)...

But, before I waste more money in this, I wanna be sure the Motherboard is faulty...

For more information that helps you diagnosing with me, I get the following events in the Event viewer as soon as the machine has a sudden reboot...
- WHEA Error 20 With the Processor ID and a Northbridge refference
- BugCheck 0x124 (Relative to the processor and ntoskernel)

All info relative to this over the internet points to overclock issues (or being a faulty CPU), a thing I cannot do in this system due to the BIOS not able of said things... but maybe this could point in a problem on how the mobo is handling the Turbo CORE thing (It's supposed this thing can go up to 3.40 Ghz, but I have seen it reach 3.50 GHz...)

Also, I don't know if other owners of this laptop notices this but, when you use benchmarking tools, like GPU-Z or the AIDA-64 suite, when you want to stress the GPU in here, the CPU goes to speed levels beyond to even normal low speeds (normally runs at 1.25 Ghz idle, if you stress the GPU, it goes down to 0.75 Ghz), does this happen to everyone with this model? Or is just me?

At this point, I'm clueless, I'm stuck between the battery causing me problems (less likely, I'm always plugged in to the AC Charger) or plain believing the Motherboard (or CPU) is defectve and is causing me this problems...

Any ideas at this point, will be welcome...

Thanks in advance... ;)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Sounds like you ***might*** have a problem with a safety interlock switch on the mainboard that affects similar models. The purpose of this switch is to disconnect power when the case is opened. Sometimes the switches are triggered while using the keyboard, touchpad, adjusting viewing angle or otherwise physically disturbing the machine. Here are two possible solutions mentioned by some users as being successful using simple tape and spacers.  Jack E/NJ
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Jack E/NJ

• FerchogtX
    edited October 2018
    Thanks so much for the answer, Jack!

I have a little doubt here, seems I have two buttons in this laptop, one is the one that "cuts" energy to the battery so you can safely remove it, and the other is a "BIOS" switch, which is only accessible when you remove the RAM/HDD plate (it's circled in one of the pictures you posted in the second thread). Which one I should fix?

Thanks a bunch!
  • JackE
    If you can find no other buttons on the mainboard, then it's the button the cuts power to and from the battery when the cover is remover. If you can see a protrusion the the inside of the cover that seems to align with this button when the cover is in place, then the protrusion is probably not depressing the button enough to keep the battery reliably connected when everything is together. The symptoms would usually be seemingly random unexpected shutdowns or reboots when the keyboard, touchpad are being used or the machine is physically disturbed or moved in some way. The fix would be either tightening the cover or taping a spacer to the button or cover protrusion so the button is sufficiently depressed when everything is together. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• FerchogtX
    Ahhh I see. Yes, in fact I saw what you mean, as soon as I removed the cover for the RAM and HDD, the switch was free, I tried booting up the PC, but is unable to, because that switch cuts all power. So, that means that's the button. Supposedly, it seemed to be pressed enough, but to be sure, I made a small pad extension for the protrusion so it completely presses the switch down when it's in place. I also tightened the screws harder than normal so it actually presses down fully.

I'll see how this works, hopefully, I shouldn't have any reboots in a week or two, or even a month. I'll get back here with news.

Thank you for helping me :D
  • JackE
    Yes, please let us know your results one way or the other. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• @FerchogtX! Could you send me a photo of that interlock button?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • FerchogtX
    edited October 2018
    Hey @egydiocoelho This is the photo @JackE posted, it's basically the same as I have, just the protrusion looks slightly thicker in his Photo, but this works exactly the same.

What I did is, as he said, doing an extra space, over the protrusion, and pasted it, so it presses deeper into the switch and it doesn't make a false or triggers if the machine has movements or so... Let's hope this fixes my Issue! (fingers crossed) :P
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Regarding the interlock button problem I already knew how to solve! What I really wanted was just the photo so I could help other users! Thank you!
    Surely the @JackE tip will solve your problem! A big problem with a very simple solution!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • FerchogtX
    Well... this was quick, bad news people, I got a reboot just today while testing a linux Virtual Machine... I made the fix for the interlock button, but no avail, I was even in my desktop, no way of moving anything or so...

I opened the whole thing again, I even cleaned and changed the thermal compound (using the Coolermaster Thermal-whatever 400, forgot teh name XD) and blown all the dust it could possibly have (which was very little tbh).

I'm talking to a retailer tomorrow to see how much it will be for a replacement motherboard (plus a new charger + a new battery because this one is at 39% of wear level after just 2 years of use) and if it will worth buying that, or better upgrading to a Ryzen setup... (sadly that would be an HP)

If there are any more ideas, I will be glad to hear them.

Cya!
  • JackE
    Replacement battery is less than $30 so I'd try that first. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FerchogtX
    I will see with the retailer, worths a try ^^

I'll keep you informed

Thank you so much for all the help :D
  • FerchogtX
    Just as a small heads up... I'm trying something hard after years of using Avast as a protection: I uninstalled the thing and left Defender only... Cross your fingers... (It's unbelievable that Avast can cause such problems, but looking at all those threads on Internet saying that Avast is no more what it used to be...)

If not, my still next move is to buy at least the battery and the charger...

I'll keep you informed, guys.

Cya!
  • FerchogtX
    Small question... anyone is able to tell how much does it cost a replacement motherboard for this laptop? I tried to call even to Acer in Mexico, but they are being... mysterious with the information (They can't tell me? O_O)...

I need to make myself an idea, just in case, not that I'm buying now but...

Thanks in advance ^_^
  • JackE
    edited October 2018
    Aye!!! Sorry. I forgot to hit send on your Avast revelation yesterday. I musta missed that you were using Avast earlier. No, it's not unbelieveable but yes, it's believeable! Uninstall not just disable it pronto. Defender is all most folks really need nowadays. All I use is McAfees standalone executable Stinger freeware whenever I suspect something funny may be going on that Defender might've missed. Stinger is pretty good and updated almost weekly with new malware detection signatures. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• FerchogtX
    Thanks for the answer!!

Yup, I uninstalled Avast completely, right now I'm using defender, by now things seem normal, yesterday I was working with both my design software and a virtual machine at the same time, up to this moment, I haven't had a single reboot, I will keep you updated every week to see how this evolves... let's cross fingers that Avast was my whole problem all this time...

Cya!
  • JackE
    Knock on wood too. :)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FerchogtX
    Well... one week since last reboot, all seems in order. I will be seeking to buy the battery and the new charger, and report next week.

Cya!
  • Glad you could solve your problem! On the current battery, did you try to calibrate to see if it returns to show the actual wear level? I just do not understand why you want to change the power adapter too!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Ahhhh beat me to it, yes Avast as well as Realtek has been causing Northbridge errors galore.
    Good stuff/intuition.
    - Hotel Hero
  • FerchogtX
    edited October 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    Ahhhh beat me to it, yes Avast as well as Realtek has been causing Northbridge errors galore.
    Good stuff/intuition.
    You mention realtek, I assume you talk about the sound drivers?
    You had that problem? How did you solve that specifically? (In case I need to dig into the sound drivers)