Brand new helios 300 overheat when gaming with a -140mv undervolt

Options
theone
theone Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My Helios 300(PH-315-51) runs at over 90 degree when gaming even with a 140mV underclock and i bough it last week. Should i return the laptop?

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can try "Throttlestop" instead (of XTU) as it allows adjustment of speed shift epp values which help govern how aggresive the CPU reaches max clocks speeds and managing them to only use clocks necessary.

As @JackE said anything below 95 C is *by design* straight from Intel and youll find all laptops regardless if brand reaching these temps.

I do however understand your concern as plastics melting point is 100 C.

There's very good information in the FAQ pinned post about undervolting and safe operating temperatures to help alleviate concern.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    Options
    >>>Should i return the laptop? >>>
    No! Anything under 95*C under load is normal for this machine. Do not try to undervolt, there is no need for it.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/593914/#Comment_593914
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• genatari
    genatari Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I contacted Acer with my heating issue on the same laptop. The keys become to hot to touch due to the heat from the CPU/GPU andI have to shut down soon after starting any game.  Acer stated to send it in per warranty and have them repair it. I would contact Acer.
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can try "Throttlestop" instead (of XTU) as it allows adjustment of speed shift epp values which help govern how aggresive the CPU reaches max clocks speeds and managing them to only use clocks necessary.

As @JackE said anything below 95 C is *by design* straight from Intel and youll find all laptops regardless if brand reaching these temps.

I do however understand your concern as plastics melting point is 100 C.

There's very good information in the FAQ pinned post about undervolting and safe operating temperatures to help alleviate concern.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Actually, plastic materials are a bit sturdier.

It depends on how they are made, but each of them is quite above the 100°C level:

https://www.plastikcity.co.uk/useful-stuff/material-melt-mould-temperatures
  • vanadium
    vanadium Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I would suggest to replace the thermal paste, but it possibly voids the warranty.
  • lilenday
    lilenday Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    What games do you play?

I undervolted as much as you did and PubG never gets over 70C.
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    Skree said:
    Actually, plastic materials are a bit sturdier.

It depends on how they are made, but each of them is quite above the 100°C level:

https://www.plastikcity.co.uk/useful-stuff/material-melt-mould-temperatures
    Agreed my statement didn't take into account every type of plastic just a generality.

"Of the six commonly recycled plastics, four can withstand temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius (212 degrees Fahrenheit) or above."

I stand corrected.
    - Hotel Hero
  • theone
    Options
    Well the reason i asked this is because mine is an I5 model so i am just wondering why is it that hot
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018
    Options
    theone said:
    Well the reason i asked this is because mine is an I5 model so i am just wondering why is it that hot
    Basically the straight forward answer is Intel released these chips to operate at these temperatures, and even reaching 90+ C your CPU will last 10 years easy... the rest of your laptop will fall apart before the CPU does lol.
    - Hotel Hero
  • theone
    Options
    so i guess my laptop is fine then and thanks for your help

• CKev
    CKev Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I found out one Google Chrome program is using 30% of my CPU in background which causes heating problem. Ran Malwarebytes and found that it's a malware. Now it's back to normal.