When to stop lowering the voltage on xtu undervolting?

Options
C317
C317 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I recently bought predator helios 300 ph315-51 and when i tested it on several games i was getting about 90 degrees above. Then i searched and i found the undervolt guide using xtu to undervolt the cpu. The temp went down to 73+ degrees and maximum on 85 degrees on -180 core voltage offset. So my question is, should i still go below -180 or should i stop?

Best Answers

• Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    -180 is already much. 
    The rule, anyway, is to look for stability issues. If you go too low on undervolting your system will reboot under heavy load, will power throttle, will have performance issues and generally will be unstable.

What i suggest is to put a stress load on your system, both GPU and CPU, and see if it stays stable for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better.

If all runs fine, you have no power throttling and no strange behaviours, you are ok. If you get a BSOD or anything strange... reduce the undervolting a bit.

This was the explanation, now my opinion: you are fine where you are if your system is stable. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,575 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @C317 >>>I recently bought predator helios 300 ph315-51 and when i tested it on several games i was getting about 90 degrees above. >>>

Anything below about 95°C is normal under high load. Unless you experience issues, don't try to fix a non-issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    -180 is already much. 
    The rule, anyway, is to look for stability issues. If you go too low on undervolting your system will reboot under heavy load, will power throttle, will have performance issues and generally will be unstable.

What i suggest is to put a stress load on your system, both GPU and CPU, and see if it stays stable for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better.

If all runs fine, you have no power throttling and no strange behaviours, you are ok. If you get a BSOD or anything strange... reduce the undervolting a bit.

This was the explanation, now my opinion: you are fine where you are if your system is stable. 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @C317 >>>I recently bought predator helios 300 ph315-51 and when i tested it on several games i was getting about 90 degrees above. >>>

Anything below about 95°C is normal under high load. Unless you experience issues, don't try to fix a non-issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lilenday
    lilenday Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    I also tried undervolting down to -160 core and offset. I did get better results the more and more I went down. I got 1222CB score with -160mv. However, I also did notice the CPU temp was jumping all over the place. I only stress tested 30 mins and although it didnt crash, I think it was getting to an unstable state. 

Im currently at -140mv. My temp while gaming NEVER goes above 70C.

Hope that helps!
  • pvcosta
    pvcosta Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I had to disable turbo boost from my Helios (G3-571) to get a reasonable temperature (~85 degrees).
    I´ve also tried to undervolt but the CPU gets unstable and reboot down to -90mv. I got a stable value at -080mv. But actually, It doesn't make any difference in the temperatures.
    So here I am, with a Helios without Turbo Boost.
    Any thoughts, besides repasting?
  • JackE
    Options
    @pvcosta >>>I had to disable turbo boost from my Helios (G3-571) to get a reasonable temperature (~85 degrees).>>>

Since anything less than 95*C under full turbo load is considered normal for this machine,what unreasonable temperatures were you seeing? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pvcosta
    pvcosta Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    JackE said:
    @pvcosta >>>I had to disable turbo boost from my Helios (G3-571) to get a reasonable temperature (~85 degrees).>>>

Since anything less than 95*C under full turbo load is considered normal for this machine,what unreasonable temperatures were you seeing? Jack E/NJ
    For me max 85*c
    Before I disabled the turbo boost, the temperatures went through 95-97 degrees (hard loaded). It makes the notebook noisy like a hairdryer. Besides the fact that this does a fast CPU depreciation 

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I recommend using Throttlestop.
    XTU has a nasty habit of unapplying undervolt randomly without warning.

Default your undervolt values, remove XTU and try this: (You can't have them installed at the same time)

https://youtu.be/N3v3o21M8gg
    - Hotel Hero
  • C317

Tinkerer

Options
    Red-Sand said:

Default your undervolt values, remove XTU and try this: (You can't have them installed at the same time)

I have seen your guide but sadly, i get confused on the things you do on the guide. I'm no tech expert and i am really new to this. I find intel xtu to be the easiest to use. I currently have i5-8300h cpu on my helios 300. If you could provide a video of settings for the 8300h, I would glady use throttlestop.
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    C317 said:
    Red-Sand said:

I have seen your guide but sadly, i get confused on the things you do on the guide. I'm no tech expert and i am really new to this. I find intel xtu to be the easiest to use. I currently have i5-8300h cpu on my helios 300. If you could provide a video of settings for the 8300h, I would glady use throttlestop.

Im working on it.  Its not easy to do when you dont own the cpu lol.
    - Hotel Hero
  • C317

Tinkerer

Options
    Red-Sand said:
    C317 said:
    Red-Sand said:

Thanks a bunch! Please include how to reset it back to the previous state in throttlestop as well. Just in case. Thanks!
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    C317 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    C317 said:
    Red-Sand said:

Thanks a bunch! Please include how to reset it back to the previous state in throttlestop as well. Just in case. Thanks!

Sure it's simple.

Just delete the "config" file named "throttlestop" in the throttlestop folder then shut down your laptop (not reboot).
    Then all settings are removed.

If you want to save your config for later just move the config to a different location outside of throttlestops folder then shut down. (Again not reboot)
    - Hotel Hero