Swift 3 (SF315-41) Ryzen 5 - Linux reboot

Options
2»

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What version of bios is currently installed? There is a 2.03 version for this template!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

very strange it loses reference to a drive on a reboot and not a shutdown, and I doubt this'll help, but hey, you never know!

Boot from live media

mount /dev/sda /mnt                           (or change sda to what root partition is)

arch-chroot /mnt

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg                          (maybe just grub rather than grub2 depending on your machine install)

grub-install /dev/sda                          (again, sda is the root partition, so change if need be)

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    That's exactly what I do not understand! Bios knows that linux is installed when you turn on the notebook, but when you restart your notebook, bios does not detect linux boot files! It is as if the Linux-mounted partition was not being detected by bios when restarting the notebook!
    Can this be a problem with the rtc battery, which is causing the bios to lose its settings? Or is it some configuration problem in bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ferares
    ferares Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Options
    What version of bios is currently installed? There is a 2.03 version for this template!

Yes, I have the latest version installed 2.03

JackE said:
    Almost always easier to get stable Linux installations on Windows UEFI machines by going dual boot even if you don't intend to use Windows. Just shrink Windows partition to a bare mininum. Install Linux, put grub ahead of Windows boot mgr, and you'll forget Windows is even on the machine. Jack E/NJ

UBUNTU MINT
    ( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation. Shrink it a lot if you want
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus, a freeware download.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper

Might work but it's not the kind of solution I'm looking for, seems more like a hack.

Gawain said:

very strange it loses reference to a drive on a reboot and not a shutdown, and I doubt this'll help, but hey, you never know!

Boot from live media

mount /dev/sda /mnt                           (or change sda to what root partition is)

arch-chroot /mnt

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg                          (maybe just grub rather than grub2 depending on your machine install)

grub-install /dev/sda                          (again, sda is the root partition, so change if need be)

I don't have grub, I'm using systemd-boot, can I do it? and what's this supposed to do? sorry I'm not linux-literate enough to understand what this commands are doing.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    sorry, my mistake, i didn't realise you're using gummiboot.  Unless you have a particular reason for using antergos (Arch based). could i suggest a Fedora or Opensuse install? Both are rock solid in their own ways, and no disrespect to Arch fans, but they don't break so easy either.
  • chrisphl
    chrisphl Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey guys,
    it's a long time since the last comment here. I own my Acer Swift 3 SF315-41 (Ryzen 7 2700U, AMD Radeon 540) since Sept. 2018. I installed Linux Mint 19 right away to dual boot the laptop. Ever since I ran into the same problem and really would appreciate a solution.
    From my point of view I'm not sure if it's just an UEFI issue or if it is about the interaction of UEFI and Linux (...Mint 19 in my case). My laptop shows different behaviuor when restarting from Windows 10 or Linux Mint 19. The above discussed issue just occurs if I restart Linux, _not_ from Windows... o_0
    Furthermore I tried to contact Acer support about the issue several month ago. After several Mails I got this answer (German language): "Da der Fehler anscheinend ausschließlich in Verbindung mit Linux auftritt, kann ich diesbezüglich keine Lösung anbieten, da Linux nicht supportet wird. Dieses Fehlerbild wird unter Windows 10 nicht auftreten. Linux wird nicht von Acer supportet". So if the issue cannot be circumvented from Linux boot mechanism, I doubt there never will be a solution. :-(

kind regards
    Christian

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>"Da der Fehler anscheinend ausschließlich in Verbindung mit Linux auftritt, kann ich diesbezüglich keine Lösung anbieten, da Linux nicht supportet wird. Dieses Fehlerbild wird unter Windows 10 nicht auftreten. Linux wird nicht von Acer supportet">>>

This is why you must post your issue on the Mint forums. They are very helpfjul.  Try to get a user named Altair4 to respond. He's one of the best with concise no nonsense answers. Mint Cinnamon 19.2 is all I use nowdays on my laptops. Rarely boot to Windows.  And all the  installations have been configured to have almost the same look, feel and function of Microsoft's last halfway decent Windows version, Win7. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ