Swift 3 (SF315-41) Ryzen 5 - Linux reboot

ferares
ferares Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in 2019 Archives
Hi every one, I'm trying to install Linux (as single boot, no Windows) on my Swift 3 (SF315-41) laptop but I can't seem to get it to work in a reliable/stable way.

What I've done/tried:
  1. Tried installing Manjaro but the live USB would fail while loading (the same USB worked fine on other computers).
  2. Installed Mint but the computer would froze between 1 to 3 times during my work day which force me to shut it down manually every time, even though doing this didn't result in any data loss or further problem at the time it was bound to eventually and it was an annoyance. Another problem with this install was that every time I reset the computer I would get a message from the UEFI saying "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovey Media and Hit any key Then Select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media" if I hit any key then a single option was presented with the label "1. Linux Mint" selecting it would cause the first message to re-appear. Shutting the computer off and then on again would get past this issue and Mint would boot up normally.
  3. Currently trying to install Antergos, live USB boots fine, everything installs and the after the installation the system boots normally and I can turn it off and on again with no problems but... if I ever reset (instead of shutting it down) the computer I get the same UEFI message I got with the Mint install with 2 differences: 1. The "Boot Manager" option now says "Windows Boot Manager" (I completely removed all of the original partitions on the SSD when I installed Mint on it and did it again using GParted on the Antergos live USB before installing it so I this must be coming from the computer Firmware I guess). And difference 2. Now it doesn't matter what I do the Antergos installation seems to be lost and I have to reinstall the whole thing.
Notes on number 3:
  • If I go to the "Boot" tab on the UEFI menu, under "Boot priority order:" there's only 1 option labeled "Windows Boot Manager"
  • If I enable "Secure Boot" and go to "Select an UEFI file as trusted for excecuting" I can see "<antergos_grub>" and I can select the "grubx64.efi" file, although doing it has no effect.
  • Booting from the Antergos live USB again I can see the installation is still there on the SSD.
TL;DR:

The main problem now is that If I reset my computer it won't boot anymore into the Antergos install, that boot option is replaced (by the UEFI I presume) with a "Windows Boot Manager" option that makes no sense (since I wiped the SSD completely) and doesn't work.

Turning the computer off and then on again manually does not trigger this issue; it's only after resetting it directly that this happens and the only solution after it seems to be a full reinstall.

On a previous Linux Mint install there where also issues with resetting the computer although not as bad as this one.

What I think is the problem:

The UEFI, and I'm running the latest version of it (2.03).

I would thank you for any help you can give me on this :# .

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    Did your notebook only come with the factory-installed SSD? Or did it come with an hd and you added a ssd later? I'm asking this, therefore, it seems to me that he is only seeing the windows that came in the factory hd!
    Has ssd been converted to gpt to work in uefi mode?  Can you hit a photo of the information and boot section of bios uefi?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ferares

Tinkerer

Update:
    By using systemd-boot instead of grub2 the reboot issue is now similar to the one I had with Mint, so now rebooting the machine just prompts a message from the UEFI saying "No bootable device" and it doesn't completely destroy the ability for the computer to boot if I turn it off and on again after that.

Did your notebook only come with the factory-installed SSD? Or did it come with an hd and you added a ssd later? I'm asking this, therefore, it seems to me that he is only seeing the windows that came in the factory hd!
    Has ssd been converted to gpt to work in uefi mode?  Can you hit a photo of the information and boot section of bios uefi?

Thanks for your answer, the SSD is the one the computer came with, I've made no changes to the machine hardware wise.

Here are the photos requested (although now the issue is not the same):

This is the screen I now get when I reboot the machine:

This is the Boot menu on the UEFI settings:

(If I hit F12 when booting up I get the same option (HDD0: INTEL SSD.....))
  • This message appears, when the computer does not identify any device initialization or when there is no operating system installed!

1) To install linux, you should download an iso only x64! Done that extract the file from iso to desktop!
    2) Get a flash drive and convert it to gpt with the following commands in cmd as administrator: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x, clean, convert gpt, format fs = fat32 quick and assign!
    3) Copy linux to the pendrive!
    4) Go to the bios, select uefi and disable the secureboot! Put the pendrive first in the boot!
    5) You should use refind to choose your video card drivers!
    6) Select the option install manjar and ignore the installer cli!
    7) Prepare the disk and convert it to and format it in vfat!
    8) install linux and then install bootloader EFI_x86_64> GRUB (2)
    8) format the partition efi in fat32 and finish the installation
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ferares

Tinkerer

This message appears, when the computer does not identify any device initialization or when there is no operating system installed!

I know that, that's why it's weird it only shows up when I reset the computer. Also I was able to install Antergos.

To sum up the current problem (sorry if my previous redaction was confusing):

When I reboot the computer that message appears (no bootable device) but if I turn it off and then on again everything works fine.

Installed OS: Antergos 18.8 x86_64
    Boot manager: systemd-boot

• Maybe because secureboot is enabled! Disable the secureboot and restart your notebook a few times to see if the error message still appears!
    It's strange really, because if the linux file system is in hd and properly installed, it was not to be happening that problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ferares

Tinkerer

Maybe because secureboot is enabled! Disable the secureboot and restart your notebook a few times to see if the error message still appears!
    It's strange really, because if the linux file system is in hd and properly installed, it was not to be happening that problem!
    Just tried that and the problem persists... :(

I've tried hitting F2 after a reboot (before the "no bootable device" screen) and entering the UEFI settings and under the boot section there are in fact no options:

(The photo was taken before trying your suggestion about disabling the secure boot)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    Take a look at this video: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVbUrzYD8PE
    You must type hdd! Although it is ubuntu, I think there is not much difference between versions!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ferares

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Take a look at this video: 
    You must type hdd! Although it is ubuntu, I think there is not much difference between versions!

Tried it and it doesn't work, the result is the same as before.
  • I do not understand much of linux! However on windows you can select the operating system by default here in this photo:

I think it's something like this on linux:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ferares

Tinkerer

I do not understand much of linux! However on windows you can select the operating system by default here in this photo:

I think it's something like this on linux:

I don't think you understand my problem, the computer boots fine when I turn it on it's just when I reset it that it fails to boot.
    Furthermore I'm not using Grub2.
  • Man! I'm out of ideas at the moment! However, linux has the quick startup as in windows 10? If so, try disabling it to see if the problem still occurs!
    I understood your problem! It simply does not initialize the linux boot files when rebooting!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    the reference to "windows boot manager" is coming from the bios rather than the ssd (like you said, it doesn't exist 'cause you wiped the lot before), so to get rid of that reference, i'd be inclined to do a "Load setup defaults" in the bios (I've had similar on other machines where i end up with "ghost" options that have no relevance!), after that, straight back in the bios, re-enable F12 boot option and either disable secureboot or add the .efi to the list of safe ones (personally i'd disable secure as the machine is solely linux). I'd personally load setup defaults then do a fresh install just to keep the procedure in a logical order. 
  • It might work! However the .efi file is already loaded on power up! The problem occurs while restarting! It is as if the bios lost this configuration and returned to the configuration of windows! But since there are no windows installed, this problem occurs!
    I would try your solution! It may be solved just by getting bios back to its factory settings and reinstalling the .efi file from linux!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ferares

Tinkerer

Gawain dijo:
    the reference to "windows boot manager" is coming from the bios rather than the ssd (like you said, it doesn't exist 'cause you wiped the lot before), so to get rid of that reference, i'd be inclined to do a "Load setup defaults" in the bios (I've had similar on other machines where i end up with "ghost" options that have no relevance!), after that, straight back in the bios, re-enable F12 boot option and either disable secureboot or add the .efi to the list of safe ones (personally i'd disable secure as the machine is solely linux). I'd personally load setup defaults then do a fresh install just to keep the procedure in a logical order. 

Like egydiocoelho said I don't think this will fix my problem since secure boot is working fine and I've also already tried with it disabled, furthermore the problem in which the "Windows boot manager" would come back from the dead seems now gone for good as when I restart the computer no boot options are present at all and when I turn it off and then on again everything works. But I'll give it a try on Friday (I don't want to risk having to reinstall the OS in the middle of the work week) to see if resetting the UEFI fixes this (I'm not willing to reinstall Linux at this point though :/ ).

Man! I'm out of ideas at the moment! However, linux has the quick startup as in windows 10? If so, try disabling it to see if the problem still occurs!
    I understood your problem! It simply does not initialize the linux boot files when rebooting!

Sorry, I thought you weren't understanding, I have the option to select the default Boot device or system but since I have only 1 OS installed it's already set to what it should be and I think this problem comes before that point in the computer's boot sequence at the UEFI level.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how it goes on Friday  ;)
  • I think your colleague's @Gawain suggestion will work!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ferares

Tinkerer

OK I've just tried a bunch of stuff and none worked:
    • Disable secure boot
    • Load setup defaults
    • "Erase all secure boot settings" -> "Select an UEFI file as trusted for execution" -> Selecting the systemd .efi file an naming it "hdd"
    • "Erase all secure boot settings" -> "Select an UEFI file as trusted for execution" -> Selecting the systemd .efi file an naming it "Antergos"
    Trough all this steps the problem remained the same; I was able to boot the computer but on restart the same UEFI message appeared "No Bootable Device", after restarting again or shutting off and then on again the computer booted normally.
  • When you press f12 when the "no bootable device" appears, does it start linux when selecting hd?
    Do you realize that computer hours are late when this problem occurs? If this happens it may be necessary to replace the motherboard rtc battery!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ferares

Tinkerer

When you press f12 when the "no bootable device" appears, does it start linux when selecting hd?
    Do you realize that computer hours are late when this problem occurs? If this happens it may be necessary to replace the motherboard rtc battery!
    There are no options to select when the "no bootable device" message appears and the computer clock is keeping time just fine.
  • What I think is happening, is that linux antergos is not set as default on system startup! I know you installed the antergos, but check if there is any similar configuration like this one in the photo and leave it as default!
    I still think that somehow the system is selecting windows boot manager as default, so you must manually select linux antergos to boot as default!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAi8MbyjkE

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ferares

Tinkerer

What I think is happening, is that linux antergos is not set as default on system startup! I know you installed the antergos, but check if there is any similar configuration like this one in the photo and leave it as default!
    I still think that somehow the system is selecting windows boot manager as default, so you must manually select linux antergos to boot as default!
    I think that the problems comes from the UEFI and not the software boot options since the error message is from the UEFI and no boot device is detected; still I've checked what you suggest might be at fault and the default boot option is Antergos, here's the config file (I'm using systemd-boot and not grub):
    default antergos
    timeout 0
    I've also tried setting the timeout to something other than 0 with no changes.