Helios 500 CPU temperature

Options
13»

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    Yeah Ive had hands on with the MSI, Dell G7 equivalents and this thing smashes them all.
    - Hotel Hero
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    lilenday said:
    @UncleMikey42
    Hi there, thanks for your input. My laptop came with Linux preinstalled for whatever reason so I did have to do fresh install anyways lol. Yeah after tweaking a bit I'm extremely happy with this laptops' thermals. The reason why I always go for big laptops is they usually have more physical room for cooling. I wanted something that will last me a while, and out of all the laptops I've owned (gt83, g751, g750) this looks the most promising out of all (fingers crossed). 

How?
    Was box sealed?
  • lilenday
    lilenday Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    Yes @M4rdock it was sealed. I bought it in Vietnam, not US. 
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    lilenday said:
    Yes @M4rdock it was sealed. I bought it in Vietnam, not US. 
    I know in some countries its cheaper to buy a laptop with linux on it then having windows preinstalled (duh lol).

Thats pretty cool actually, I would have left linux installed 😂
    - Hotel Hero
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Interesting, in my country There is no option to but Helios without windows 10 lol
  • UncleMikey42
    UncleMikey42 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    ...that's fascinating. Given that I was buying this for gaming, I'm not sure I'd have considered that option if it were offered, this time. I have a development laptop, though (Dell XPS13) that I did get Linux pre-installed on. But there are very few "mainstream" brands in the US that offer it as an option!

• Red-Sand
    Options
    ...that's fascinating. Given that I was buying this for gaming, I'm not sure I'd have considered that option if it were offered, this time. I have a development laptop, though (Dell XPS13) that I did get Linux pre-installed on. But there are very few "mainstream" brands in the US that offer it as an option!

It could just be personal preference.
    I had the luck of befriending someone in middle school whose dad helped develop/write ubuntu and it basically is the foundation of all the IT stuff I know.

So gaming on linux while may be tricky for newer titles is not impossible.  And when a game does run on linux its buttery smooth.
    - Hotel Hero
  • vanadium
    vanadium Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I also bought The laptop 3 weeks ago and it's amazing. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04LTS on it. I have a 8750h with 16gb ram, 256GB ssd (hynix) and GTX 1070. After lurking on Thinkpad p71, Dell XPS 15, Asus ROG and other 17 inches powerful laptops, I couldn't find any that hadn't throttling or thermal issues out of the box. Except the Predator Helios 500.

After messing with it a while:
    - CPU idles at 39-42°C with 27°C ambient temperature. It's amazingly cool and quiet (fans only kick in once in a while),
    - I undervolted the CPU under Linux using Undervolt to -200mV core and cache, -100mV uncore and it runs flawlessly. Basically always running at 3.9Ghz on full load on all cores, with rare times where it drops to 3.5-3.7Ghz. My undervolt is applied on startup via an sh script,
    - CPU hits 70°C max when running prime95 on 12 threads,
    - Disconnected the 1To HDD as I have no use of it,
    - Disconnected the battery at 60% SoC as i'm not using it either (mostly on AC Adapter),
    - Initially planned to repaste the CPU but temps are perfectly fine as is, so no need,
    - Runs on Ubuntu 18.04LTS with some tweaks to have the wifi card work properly (card is not detected by default), backlight setting also requires xbacklight.

Tried up to -220mV undervolting, but wasn't stable. So I reduced undervolt of -10% to reach -200mV (which is quite amazing).

So far, the best laptop cooling i've ever seen. It's why I bought this laptop: I wanted a powerful laptop capable of running at full load with low noise and no throttling. And I must say, The Helios 500 is performing wonderfully. I have ordered a hardware bios chip programmer and plan to dump the bios and mod it (thanks to bios-mods forum). I would like to set the undervolt directly in the bios, and possibly enable the intel graphics (if not a hardware constraint).

I'm really impressed by the laptop fans. They are almost unoticeable at low speed. Even at higher gear, the sound frequency is still pleasant to hear.
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018
    Options
    vanadium said:
    I also bought The laptop 3 weeks ago and it's amazing. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04LTS on it. I have a 8750h with 16gb ram, 256GB ssd (hynix) and GTX 1070. After lurking on Thinkpad p71, Dell XPS 15, Asus ROG and other 17 inches powerful laptops, I couldn't find any that hadn't throttling or thermal issues out of the box. Except the Predator Helios 500.

After messing with it a while:
    - CPU idles at 39-42°C with 27°C ambient temperature. It's amazingly cool and quiet (fans only kick in once in a while),
    - I undervolted the CPU under Linux using Undervolt to -200mV core and cache, -100mV uncore and it runs flawlessly. Basically always running at 3.9Ghz on full load on all cores, with rare times where it drops to 3.5-3.7Ghz. My undervolt is applied on startup via an sh script,
    - CPU hits 70°C max when running prime95 on 12 threads,
    - Disconnected the 1To HDD as I have no use of it,
    - Disconnected the battery at 60% SoC as i'm not using it either (mostly on AC Adapter),
    - Initially planned to repaste the CPU but temps are perfectly fine as is, so no need,
    - Runs on Ubuntu 18.04LTS with some tweaks to have the wifi card work properly (card is not detected by default), backlight setting also requires xbacklight.

Tried up to -220mV undervolting, but wasn't stable. So I reduced undervolt of -10% to reach -200mV (which is quite amazing).

So far, the best laptop cooling i've ever seen. It's why I bought this laptop: I wanted a powerful laptop capable of running at full load with low noise and no throttling. And I must say, The Helios 500 is performing wonderfully. I have ordered a hardware bios chip programmer and plan to dump the bios and mod it (thanks to bios-mods forum). I would like to set the undervolt directly in the bios, and possibly enable the intel graphics (if not a hardware constraint).

I'm really impressed by the laptop fans. They are almost unoticeable at low speed. Even at higher gear, the sound frequency is still pleasant to hear.
    One thinng (maybe two) you will not be able to enable Intel GPU. There is a specific configuration for the motherboard to accommodate optimus.

Second (the maybe one) BIOs unlocking might not allow undervolting.

I unlocked my 300 & those adjustments were available but didnt stick
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    30 minutes of Prime95

I envy your Predator Sense :-(
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    30 minutes of Prime95

I envy your Predator Sense :-(
    It is quite lovely 😍
    - Hotel Hero
  • vanadium
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    One thing (maybe two) you will not be able to enable Intel GPU. There is a specific configuration for the motherboard to accommodate optimus.

Sad that your vcore offset settings didn't stick. I hope it will on the Helios 500. What kind of unlocked bios settings have you used so far?

I also plan to slightly overclock the RAM and/or set more agressive RAM timings. Could be great if I can adjust all turbo ratios to 41. Combined with undervolting, it can fully unleash the power of this beast :)

GPU undervolting / underclocking would be great too (but seems like need to flash nvidia card bios) as i'm using it as a workstation and don't care about the graphics part.
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    vanadium said:
    Red-Sand said:
    One thing (maybe two) you will not be able to enable Intel GPU. There is a specific configuration for the motherboard to accommodate optimus.

Sad that your vcore offset settings didn't stick. I hope it will on the Helios 500. What kind of unlocked bios settings have you used so far?

I also plan to slightly overclock the RAM and/or set more agressive RAM timings. Could be great if I can adjust all turbo ratios to 41. Combined with undervolting, it can fully unleash the power of this beast :)

GPU undervolting / underclocking would be great too (but seems like need to flash nvidia card bios) as i'm using it as a workstation and don't care about the graphics part.
    GPU undervolting/overclocking:
    Result: -10 C for CPU & GPU with desktop performance.

https://youtu.be/nYW7ROFx2Kk

- Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The above video has 3 profiles for each 1050ti/1060.
    "Max Q" profile for the 1060 for example runs 1721mhz clock at the minimum 800mV. I think youll be quite pleased with results of the 3rd profile "Undervolt/Overclock".

The way the 8th gens work is 4.1ghz is ONLY acheived by single core.
    BUT.. if you watch my other videos on the same youtube channel listed above I explain how to use throttlestop with is a very small program (600kb) that undervolts and adjusts speed shift epp.

I havent come up with settings for the 8th gen on my video but essentially its the same but with an undervolt of -0.140 core/cache and just not adjusting Turbo Ratio Limits which caps CPU clock speeds.

If you set speed shift epp to "0" it allows all cores to run at 3.9-4.0ghz in game all while maintaining about 25-30w package power levels.

Note: If you run a CPU stress test you will not see the high clocks at low package power levels due to those tests maximizing the voltage used on the CPU, rather youll see the speeds with lower levels in a real game via OSD (on screen display).
    - Hotel Hero
  • AcideMba
    AcideMba Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Good evening I just bought the Aspire A715-72G pc, I can not install Ubuntu, during the installation, it does not read the partitions and do not recognize the numeric keypad,
    Help me Please
  • vanadium
    Options
    Some news:

I've modded my bios and able to set the vcore offset (undervolting) right from the bios :+1: That's really neat because i won't have to mess with software on startup to undervolt the CPU. Also, I could overclock RAM to 2933Mhz (19-19-19-43)  so far. Still testing with Prime95 to check for stability issues.

Tried to modify the turbo ratios but it didn't changed anything. So far really happy with this laptop!
  • platinum_ultra
    platinum_ultra Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    vanadium said:
    vanadium, could you please explain more abut your installation of Ubuntu 18.04LTS on Helios 500 ?

* any issues / tweaks to get it up and running

I'm also planning to by a Helios 500 and run Ubuntu and working with tensor flow ( I really want the 1070 to work fully under linux, with Cuda etc )

Acer Predator Helios 500 17,3" FHD matt
    G-SYNC,144Hz,GeForce GTX1070,Core i7-8750H,16GB RAM,256GB PCIe SSD,1TB HDD,W10H

Anyone having experience of installing Ubuntu on this configuration ?
    please let me know of any issues/tweaks ( especially problems related to 1070/screen/graphics is important )

• _albie_
    _albie_ Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    check out my predator sense - whilst playing Black Ops 4. I'm currently trying to find out how to undervolt without installing XTU since it makes the laptop turn off after booting to windows 10