Helios 500 CPU temperature

Options

Answers

• Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    M4rdock said:
    Red-Sand said:
    Now I CANT surpass 68 C no matter what I do.

I also found undervolting with throttlestop (instead of xtu) and using speed shift epp at 128 helped improve performance of CPU and lower temps.
    Waaaait, i thought its better to set shift epp to 0, instead of default 128, can you elaborate?

If you put zero your CPU will always go full power, de facto making speedstep useless.

If you put 100, or 80, or wathever, when you have idle usage on your CPU the mhz will lower, which will also lower temps and battery usage.

WHen you game the CPU will still go full power, so you will not get any performance drop.
  • lilenday
    lilenday Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    M4rdock said:
    Red-Sand said:
    Now I CANT surpass 68 C no matter what I do.

I also found undervolting with throttlestop (instead of xtu) and using speed shift epp at 128 helped improve performance of CPU and lower temps.
    Waaaait, i thought its better to set shift epp to 0, instead of default 128, can you elaborate?

lilenday As far as i observed (and read) helios 500 with i7 processor deals with powerthrottling, thats why your processor drops down to 3.4 or something under heavy load, until some professionals find a way to deal with it (probably by modyfying bios settings) we wont be able to do much with it.
    From my observations it seems like -140 is sweet spot for performance, go lower and your system will be unstable go higher and your performance will decrease. 
    Yeah, it seems that way. I remember when i was stress testing on XTU i hit powerthrottle pretty constantly. Anyways, Im playing PUBG right now and CPU temp never reaches 60C and fps is almost always 110-120
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @lilenday It could be a conflict with previous components of XTU still being installed. I know that removing its influence 100% requires deleting a registry (iocbios2) and defaulting the BIOs.

Overall if your getting better results without using speed shift then by all means go for it!

Speed shift epp works like this @M4rdock
    0-255
    0= absolute performance
    255= absolute battery life/temps

If you set speed shift epp to 80 for example it sets the shift technology to about where windows would if you have speed shift disabled and let the OS handle the frequency changes. (Which i found not as good as setting a value in throttlestop)
    Its all about finding the perfect balance.

@lilenday I would suggest booting into BIOs (F2 on startup) and defaulting it (F9) then save & exit (F10) and see if that helps regulate better.

If it doesnt then perhaps trying a value between 0-80 to get a decent regulation will maintaining optimum performance.

To be honest I have just gotten the 500 and havent had a whole lot of time (I travel for work 295 days a year) to find the best values and the values from my video are for the i7-7700HQ.

I'd say from the results of your temp drops were on the right path though!
    - Hotel Hero
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Well ill later try other numbers in epp, for now with 0 my cpu usually stays at 40c with fans turned off when browsing or idle so i dont really cary, especially since i have pluged it on constantly.

Thx for answers guys.
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    M4rdock said:
    Well ill later try other numbers in epp, for now with 0 my cpu usually stays at 40c with fans turned off when browsing or idle so i dont really cary, especially since i have pluged it on constantly.

Thx for answers guys.
    Speed shift at 0 if temps can handle it is best.
    On my i7-7700HQ it makes all 8 threads run at 3.6-3.8ghz during a game when its supposed to be 3.4ghz when all cores are active. Running a bench that forces max voltage does limit to 3.4 but in game can be seen via OSD.
    - Hotel Hero
  • lilenday
    Options
    @Red-Sand
    I think for now I'll leave it as is. Knowing my luck with computers I dont want to mess with it anymore lol. I had a gt83 6re prior to this and caused nothing but problems for me. Their cooling is not on par with this either (10 heat pipes or whatever).

I think the reason why before I got the high temps because the cpu was running at 3.9ghz when playing PUBG,  I guess it squeezed out a bit extra frame but as of right now Im extremely happy with the way this laptop performs. Running at 3.0ghz in PUBG I still get 110-120fps almost everywhere. My gpu OC to 2000mhz and it was still under 60C. I have the same CPU thermals while running PUBG and CS1.6 (still 3.9ghz here).
  • lilenday
    Options
    @Red-Sand
    Ok, you got me tinkering again lol. I tried values 0, 50 and 128 for speed shift EPP and got the best result with 128. Cinebench score was 1195. 

I already subscribed to your channel. Cant wait for your video on the Helios 500!

If anyone else can take their time and put up their cinebench scores that would be awesome! 
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    lilenday said:
    @Red-Sand
    Ok, you got me tinkering again lol. I tried values 0, 50 and 128 for speed shift EPP and got the best result with 128. Cinebench score was 1195. 

I already subscribed to your channel. Cant wait for your video on the Helios 500!

If anyone else can take their time and put up their cinebench scores that would be awesome! 
    Sounds like you hit the silicon lottery! Best I had gotten with the bit of tinkering I did was just breaking 1100 on cinebench XD
    - Hotel Hero
  • lilenday
    Options
    @Red-Sand

Ive been undervolting and right now I’m at -160mv and got 1222CB score. During AIDA64 stress testing the temp never went over 61C and CPU frequency was at 3.4ghz the whole time. My question is if I keep undervolting more and more, would there be enough power to get it to my 3.9ghz boost frequency. I still get 3.9 with games like cs1.6 (really low load on the cpu). I haven’t tried any good optimized games like BF or Overwatch since I don’t have it. Do I still keep on trying to go lower?
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    lilenday said:
    @Red-Sand

Ive been undervolting and right now I’m at -160mv and got 1222CB score. During AIDA64 stress testing the temp never went over 61C and CPU frequency was at 3.4ghz the whole time. My question is if I keep undervolting more and more, would there be enough power to get it to my 3.9ghz boost frequency. I still get 3.9 with games like cs1.6 (really low load on the cpu). I haven’t tried any good optimized games like BF or Overwatch since I don’t have it. Do I still keep on trying to go lower?
    Whoa!!
    -0.160 is crazy low!
    Becareful that you dont have your undervolting software auto start at bootup while testing so it doesnt cause a bootloop.

To be honest thats the best undervolt Ive seen so far and the highest CB score on the i7 8th Ive seen.
    I would give the advice "quit while your ahead"! Lol

If your content with temps and performance why push your luck??
    Excellent job btw!!
    - Hotel Hero
  • lilenday
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    lilenday said:
    @Red-Sand

Whoa!!
    -0.160 is crazy low!
    Becareful that you dont have your undervolting software auto start at bootup while testing so it doesnt cause a bootloop.

To be honest thats the best undervolt Ive seen so far and the highest CB score on the i7 8th Ive seen.

Excellent job btw!!
    Haha much thanks! Couldnt have happened without your guys guides. Yeah im pretty happy with the temps so far. I might leave it as is. I see some people on other forums get higher CB scores so I tried pushing my luck. Ill make sure not to boot it on startup. When throttle stop is ON the icon is RED is that correct?
  • lilenday
    Options
    HMM I noticed something really weird. When I undervolt to -160mv I get higher temps playing Cs (3.9ghz). It hovers around 70C. When I move the undervolt back to -140mv (3.9ghz still) my temps never get above 60C? 

Could it be that at -160mv the system is getting unstable?
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    lilenday said:
    Red-Sand said:
    lilenday said:
    @Red-Sand

Whoa!!
    -0.160 is crazy low!

Excellent job btw!!
    Haha much thanks! Couldnt have happened without your guys guides. Yeah im pretty happy with the temps so far. I might leave it as is. I see some people on other forums get higher CB scores so I tried pushing my luck. Ill make sure not to boot it on startup. When throttle stop is ON the icon is RED is that correct?
    Correct. Although switching it to "off" doesnt remove its settings completely.

In order to completely remove Throttlestop, find the Throttlestop folder and delete the config file or move it to another location outside the folder then *shut down* (not reboot) your laptop.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lilenday said:
    HMM I noticed something really weird. When I undervolt to -160mv I get higher temps playing Cs (3.9ghz). It hovers around 70C. When I move the undervolt back to -140mv (3.9ghz still) my temps never get above 60C? 

Could it be that at -160mv the system is getting unstable?
    Yes, if you severely limit voltages to your CPU it may struggle to apply enough voltage to reach the clock speeds it wants to.. which would cause instability.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Id like to add that as for any other undervolting software, messing with voltages too much may cause the program to not function properly.. so be weary of how many times you adjust.

If you do however find it acting unstable even after reverting to a previously stable undervolt, simply follow my above method to remove throttlestops effect on your system (removing config) and shut down. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    ..."I think I may leave it as is..."
    ..."When I undervolt to -0.160..."
    😂😂 Bro
    - Hotel Hero
  • lilenday
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    ..."I think I may leave it as is..."
    ..."When I undervolt to -0.160..."
    😂😂 Bro
    Hahahaha please don’t judge me. It’s partially your fault I started messing around with it LOL. At -140mv I got the previous temps back so yes I’m gona leave it as is..... for now ;)
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I agree with Red-Sand. Quit while you are ahead XD

You got excellent temps and results. Be happy with them.

Consider that i get temps about 85, 87, with rare spikes to 90 with ultra heavy load.

Without undervolting got 95. It was really unconfortable.
  • UncleMikey42
    UncleMikey42 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    So, most of the "fancy stuff" you can do has been covered here...but I have to tell you, I went for fairly simple solutions and have been extremely happy with the result. First, I did a Fresh Start run on Windows, so it ditched all of the Acer pre-installed software. I have not reinstalled PredatorSense, and I have not missed it, yet, although at some point I might want to mess with the keyboard backlighting again. The only thing I did after that was make sure the nVidia drivers were the most recent.

I have not seen either CPU or GPU go above 70ºC no matter what I run on it.

Now, I'm in a fairly cool environment (a basement, and air conditioned, to boot), and while I use it on my lap, I have a Targus Coolmat, but I only use it to make sure the machine can draw through its bottom grilles when it's on my lap--I ran the fan on it exactly once and it made no real difference!

Considering most thin-and-lights with similar specs are pushing well above that, from the reviews I've read and watched, I'm pretty happy with my choice of something that has room to breathe...
  • lilenday
    Options
    @UncleMikey42
    Hi there, thanks for your input. My laptop came with Linux preinstalled for whatever reason so I did have to do fresh install anyways lol. Yeah after tweaking a bit I'm extremely happy with this laptops' thermals. The reason why I always go for big laptops is they usually have more physical room for cooling. I wanted something that will last me a while, and out of all the laptops I've owned (gt83, g751, g750) this looks the most promising out of all (fingers crossed).