Does my Acer TMP658-M-79V9 support NVME

Roxboy
Roxboy Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I purchased a Samsung evo 650 nvme m.2 drive and I can’t get it to recognize in the slot. Everything I’ve read online says my laptop supports nvme but just want to make sure or if anyone has any ideas as to what may be the issue I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    You can confirm that it supports NVVME by using hwinfo64! If pcie gen3x2 or gen3x4 appears, it supports nvme!
    If supported, make sure ssd is identified in the main or boot! However there is the possibility that ssd is not converted to gpt if the bios is in uefi mode!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Roxboy
    Thanks for the reply. Is this what you are referring to? My bios is currently set as Legacy mode so i dont think the format of the Drive is the problem. still no luck getting it to pick up.
  • It supports the gen3x2 nvme! I'm finding it strange that the current link width shows the link as negotiated! Can you confirm this information using aida64?
    You can try the following: when turning on the notebook press f2 and change the legacy mode to uefi and press f10 to save when exiting! Enter again in the bios and see if the ssd is recognized in the bios in the main section and boot and hit a photo!
    Inform me the bios version!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited August 2018
    Editado...

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Roxboy
    Thanks again for the help.No luck changing bios to uefi. still not recognized. im not sure what i must look for on "Aida64" here is a pic of my bios. 
  • This photo is too small to be seen! Hit a bigger photo!
    Use aida64 to confirm the information current link width (no negotiated) that appears in hwinfo!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• What is the exact model of ssd?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Roxboy
    Here is a better pic of the Bios and here is a pic of Aida64, im not sure which category to look under to find the info you are needing. The SSD is a Samsung 960 Evo MZ-V6e250.

• Go on the chipset and look for the info to see if it's really compatible with nvme, like you did in hwinfo! As I showed you in hwinfo!
    Your model is gen3x4 and it looks like it supports gen3x2! But check with Aida64!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Try to remove the hd and leave only the ssd to see if it is recognized!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Roxboy
    I have tried removing the main 2.5" SSD and just having the M.2 but it still wasnt recognized. Here is a shot from Aida64 of the chipset. im not really sure what im looking at. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited August 2018
    According to aida64, port 9 is a 2.0 x2 pcie (which makes it impossible to install nvme)! Hwinfo informs that port 9 is a 3.0 x2 pcie (which in theory would support the gen3x2 nvme) and informs that the current link width is no negotiated! In my opinion, hwinfo is showing the wrong information, because this port is not a pcie 3.0 but a 2.0! So your model only supports ssd m2 2280 sata III and does not support ssd nvme!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Roxboy
  • Right! I read the article! Are you using a 2.5 "SSD and connected a ssd m2 nvme near the fan? Is that it?
    Try the following: go to bios and sata mode, change to ahci and see if it is recognized!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Roxboy
    Yes I have a 2.5” crucial Mx 500 installed and want to install the m2 so I can use a 1TB mechanical drive. I’ve tried switching bios between raid and ahci and no luck either.
  • Try this: put it in ahci mode and change the mode to legacy!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    edited August 2018
    The interesting thing is that in this article they put the ssd kn2560l012 in both entries! However this ssd is a 2280 m2 2280 sataIII!
    I have downloaded the service guide for your p658-m, p658-g2-m and p658-g3-m, and it is stated in the service guide that only p658-g3-m supports you!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Roxboy
    Im not sure which Gen i have but i guess it must not be the Gen3. Thanks so much for all your help. i guess i just have to try and get a normal Sata M.2 drive.
  • How do you test this ssd on another computer with nvme? To be verified whether the problem is in SSD or not! Does the other door accept me?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ivan_am
    ivan_am Member Posts: 10 New User
    Acer TM P658MG support only M.2 SATA SSD! I work with 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/513353/travelmate-p658mg-problems-with-nvme-ssd#latest