Helios 500 High CPU temp

Jasnall
Jasnall Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, I've had my 500 for a few weeks and its been great. Temps and performance started out fine, now the CPU temps are way high. It shut it self down last night as the CPU temp went over 100C playing WoW.
All stock settings. sitting on flat desk, using KB and mouse.
Tried again today just playing WoW with stock settings and it's still running pretty high, cool boost helps a little but is unnecessarily loud.
Anyone had any similar experiences? Wanted to check before I reached out to support or exchanged it.
i7, 16GB, 1070
Pics
https://imgur.com/a/J1eIdDp

Answers

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    This thread stickied to the top has suggestions about how to handle extreme temperatures.

Propping up the laptop an inch or so to allow air to circulate better and undervolting (which is described in that thread) are common "fixes".
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    Hi, disregard Phoenix advice, Helios 500 unit has amazing cooling system and cpu should never reach this temp.
    Even when I was in hot enviroment my Helios 500 cpu never went higher than 73 when doing  stres test and playing demanding games like maxed w3.
    Highest temp i have ever seen in this unit was 78 , and  even then it was quickly lowered.

If I were you i would observe and if this happens again just send it for repeair.

Ps. Try reinstalling windows, restoring bios default settings and resetting battery before sending it for repair.
  • Jasnall
    Jasnall Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks M4rdock, ya i can't believe this laptop would have cooling problems. It has one of the better designed systems i've seen. It worked great through all my initial tests too, it's like something happened or thermal paste went bad. 
    I'm and experience user, so I know its not air flow and anything basic. I'm not about to undervolt or apply work around fixes to a brand new laptop that I know should be performing better than this.
    I'll try some resets and see how it goes.

• M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Jasnall said:
    Thanks M4rdock, ya i can't believe this laptop would have cooling problems. It has one of the better designed systems i've seen. It worked great through all my initial tests too, it's like something happened or thermal paste went bad. 
    I'm and experience user, so I know its not air flow and anything basic. I'm not about to undervolt or apply work around fixes to a brand new laptop that I know should be performing better than this.
    I'll try some resets and see how it goes.

Yeah, good luck!
    I once had similar problem on another laptop (cpu overheating) and resetting cmos helped.
  • UncleMikey42
    UncleMikey42 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Seconding @M4rdock -- try reinstalling or using the "Fresh Start" option to get Windows to baseline; you'll then need to wait maybe 15 minutes after it boots for it to finish settling itself (Windows invisibly goes and grabs things like nVidia drivers...which prevents you from installing nVidia drivers!). Once that's done, though, go grab nVidia's installer for the current drivers.

Consider not installing Predator Sense afterward unless you feel you need it. There's a memory leak described here https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547483/predator-sense-use-all-free-ram-please-help that may not be PS's fault (everyone seems to blame Win 10 1803 and Killer Control Center, but KCC is not what's bloating, so I'm not sure I understand why). One of the reasons I did a "Fresh Start" was that I was getting hit with it, and it was killing off apps left and right as it bloated past the point where Windows could even swap. I wasn't checking temperatures, but I could easily believe that my machine would have been running hot at that time, too, since the OS would have been fighting to keep swapping. I haven't downloaded the latest version of PS after "Fresh Start", to see if it avoids the problem, because I decided I didn't have any pressing need for what it does, just now.

I spent pretty much all day yesterday playing games with maxed out settings and I'm not sure it ever got much above 60ºC with no tweaks to fans or voltages whatsoever. So either you're playing MUCH more demanding games than I am, or you're running into other issues, like those described above.
  • Invader_Zim
    Invader_Zim Member Posts: 7 New User
    Hi! Have the same issue, considering to repaste CPU, definately no unfervolting should be applied fot Helios 500. Did you solve your problem? What was the solution?
  • EliasM
    EliasM Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Hi guys,
    I have my Helios 500 (i9 version) and I haven't expected that I'll be someday searching online for overheating issues. Actually, it was fine at first, but I am noticing that while playing AC Odyssey, the temperatures (Fans on Auto) doesn't drop below 85, it even reaches 97 degrees on 30% load on cpu. I thought of undervolting but I am still reading about it. If I run my fans on max, the temps drop to high 70s, but it is waaaay too annoying to hear (similar to a vacuum cleaner).
    I contacted ACER support, and they said it is recommended that the laptop runs below 80 degrees for a good lifetime of the components, but that's not the case while playing odyssey on optimal graphics (not ultra, but custom settings recommended by NVIDEA Geforce Experience).
    Please let us know if anybody finds a solution for that.
    I play on a flat table, and have the laptop raised by around 1 and half inches from the rear. this reduced the temperatures by around 3~5 degrees, but not satisfactory for me.
    IDLE TEMP FOR ME IS 60+, which is high I think.
    Thanks!
    Elias
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Idle temperature of 60C+ is unacceptable, unless there are background application running that use a lot of CPU. This isn't something that can be fixed with undervolting the CPU.

You should either contact Acer support or re-apply thermal paste yourself, which usually voids warranty, unless you are in the US.

Actually, it was fine at first, but I am noticing that while playing AC Odyssey, the temperatures (Fans on Auto) doesn't drop below 85, it even reaches 97 degrees on 30% load on cpu. I thought of undervolting but I am still reading about it. If I run my fans on max, the temps drop to high 70s, but it is waaaay too annoying to hear (similar to a vacuum cleaner).
    That is usually the trade with laptops. If you want a desktop in a small form factor you get higher temperatures and higher noise.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!