Aspire 4810t-8480 Bios Update on Windows 10 How should I update the bios?

urban_lillies
urban_lillies Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited June 2023 in Aspire Laptops
I am running Windows 10 on an aspire 4810t-8480 machine and I need to update the bios so I can upgrade the ram. The system type is 64-bit and I notice that under the drivers & manuals page on acer support that there is a vista 64 bit version bios/firmware. The laptop initially came with vista but now runs on win 10 home. How should I update the bios?
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    What I meant is that the chipset is integrated into the motherboard and so can not be replaced! As the problem was solved I would like you to put the topic as resolved and click on liked!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Why do you need to update the bios? Do you know that you can turn your notebook into a brick in case something goes wrong? I do not take any responsibility for any damage!
    First charge the battery and leave the notebook powered!
    Then unplug the wifi and all peripherals from the usb ports
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • urban_lillies

Tinkerer

I need to upgrade my ram from 4gb to 8gb and that's the reason that I need to upgrade to the latest bios version. When I install the memory cards and turn back the machine on it works but it never loads the software. It keeps searching and searching for the drivers but with no luck. I know that there is a risk to upgrade the bios but I have no other option to upgrade the ram.
  • urban_lillies

Tinkerer

What I don't understand is that when I pull up the page with the model's bios/firmware I see that there are 2 files available to download. I suppose that because my system type is 64-bit I will have to check the initial windows os that was vista. So I click on the vista 64-bit regardless that I have windows 10?
    Then when you do this and you expand the bios/firmware section there is a "Bios for Special Edition 2009 Patches Bios Kernel code" and a "Patches Bios Kernel code". Which one is the right file to download? Is the link that you sent me the first one? There is a 2.35 version which corresponds to the first description and a 1.35 version that corresponds to the second. My assumption was that the 2.35 would be the one to download but then I thought that I might have to download the 1.35 version first and then the 2.35??? I have no clue on that including that my system runs on windows 10.

• What version of windows do you install? Only the x64 version will recognize all this ram memory capacity! Does your ram memory meet these specifications?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• No need to download all the previous bios! The user should always download the latest version which is 2.35! However you can download version 1.35 and then upgrade to version 2.35 without problems!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• urban_lillies

Tinkerer

this is a screenshot after running 'msinfo32'. From the setup utility menu when I hit F2 I get also the following in addition to what I send above:

VGA Bios Version: 1736
    KBC Version: 03.19

My windows specs are below:

I am trying to install 4gb (2 x 4gb) DDR3L- 1600 SODIMM 1.35v CL11 Crucial ram. When I contacted Micron yesterday they told me that the memory cards are the same like the old ones but the system doesn't support them because the bios needs to be updated . Basically what they said word from word was this:
    "If it refuses to POST with more than 4GB installed, update to BIOS version 2.31 or later"

• urban_lillies

Tinkerer

this is the memory that they advised me to install .

these are the cards that I have currently installed:

What it didn't make sense to me was that the new ones are ddr3 pc3-12800 and the old ones are pc3-8500s

Initially I thought that this was the problem until they told me about the bios.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    Inform me the following with which memories it works! Only with new ones or only with old ones? If it only works with old ones, you can try the following: install the old memories and update the bios! After updating the bios, you take out the old ram memories and install the new ones and see if it works!
    I think it really is not compatible since the old memory has 1066mhz and 1.5v while the new 1600mhz and 1.35v! You can try to update the bios, but it does not seem to be compatible with your notebook!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• urban_lillies

Tinkerer

It works with the old ones. When I install the new ones the system turns on but it never boots the windows. Is the link that you previously sent me with the downloadable file the 2.35 update bios/firmware the same like the one that is posted on the acer drivers/manuals page? Is it the vista 64 bit?
  • Yes! But you can come here and type the notebook model: https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/drivers

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ddr3l memories work both at 1.35v and 1.5v! However I have doubts regarding the speed of new memories that are 1600mhz and the old ones only go up to 1066mhz!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• urban_lillies

Tinkerer

I am not sure that I understand your comment about the speed. Do you mean that the new cards will be fully optimized in regards to the speed or that they may be a problem to work at this speed because of bios or chipset support?
  • It seems to me that your notebook is not capable to work at 1600mhz!
    Have you updated bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• urban_lillies

Tinkerer

No I haven't touched the bios update yet but I contacted micron to ask about the speed and this is what they gave me word from word:

"Speeds slower than 1600MHZ have become obsolete as the majority of systems work fine with 1600MHz even if they were originally manufactured and installed with a slower speed of memory".

Back to the bios update, will it be any other issue that I have to be aware before I run the .exe file? The installation is pretty straightforward (download the file ,unzip it, run the .exe , let the computer do it's thing) but my concern is still the file running over windows 10 and not vista as it initially came. I know it may sound kind of silly to go over this again but I know also that if something goes wrong with the installation the laptop will become just another brick in the wall.
  • If you read the readme file, you will see that the installation speaks windows x86 or x64! I do not think you'll have a problem with that!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• urban_lillies

Tinkerer

file is unzipped but I am not sure which one I should choose.

• urban_lillies

Tinkerer

I found these on ebay . Are these the ones that I currently have but in 4gb? Based on your comment about the card's speed and compatibility these are the same like you mention but higher capacity. Maybe these are the correct ones like you commented without also having to update the bios.

• urban_lillies

Tinkerer

By the way these are listed on ebay for Macbook Pro, iMac , Mac Mini .

• It really seems to me that it supports memory with 800 or 1066MHz! I also have doubts if the slots support 4gb of ram each! For in a photo shows that you can use two modules of 4gb of ram, totaling 8gb of ram and in the second foto foto shows the combinations that can be made totaling 4gb of ram!
    In the specifications of the link above it shows that this chipset supports 8gb of ram depending on the type of memory and it seems to me that to use the 8gb, the memory has to be ddr3!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• About updating the bios, open the winflash folder and run the file!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer