E5-575G MOBO power Switch

Options
VegasWhoa
VegasWhoa Member Posts: 79 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
anyone know what chips on the mobo power
the battery? 

I have power 19.4V going to tha MOBO but when i get to the battery connecter it reads in MiliVolts (MV).

There are three black chips near the power adaptor white plug on the MOBO, I have 19.v going to those chips except I dont know the flow as to where the power goes next.  I know theres a problem based on the battery only receiving 136MV’s

any input is appreciated!

i already have done power cycling and internal bat reset

thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I have power 19.4V going to tha MOBO but when i get to the battery connecter it reads in MiliVolts (MV).>>>

If the mainboard is outside the case, it probably shouldn't read anything other than maybe a few unsteady mV due to a possible safety interlock on the board. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    Options
    do you know by chance which chip controls power on the mobo? I m guessing its one of the three near the power connector on the main mother board. 
  • JackE
    Options
    If the powerless issue is due to the safety interlock, it's actually not a chip but a simple normally-off mechanical switch on the mainboard that is kept 'on' by pressure from the case/cover. Once the covers are removed or not properly aligned, the switch is off and cuts all power to the mainboard. These two links describe where two users found this safety interlock on their boards. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    Options
    JackE said:
    If the powerless issue is due to the safety interlock, it's actually not a chip but a simple normally-off mechanical switch on the mainboard that is kept 'on' by pressure from the case/cover. Once the covers are removed or not properly aligned, the switch is off and cuts all power to the mainboard. These two links describe where two users found this safety interlock on their boards. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Let me clear everything up.  With the entire back cover/underneath/bottom cover removed,  I have the power plug from the power adapter plugged in.  The white power connector connecting to the motherboard from the DC power jack inpit, is drawing 19.4x volts as it should.  This is w/o the safety switch being pressed and the battery connected too.

Next, I check for volts at the battery connector on the motherboard.  It is reading 1xx miliVolts (MV) w/ and w/o the safety switch pressed.   

So I feel something is preventing power going where it needs to go on the motherboard.  Also, no amber or blue lights are lit too. 

I ve done the procedures but do you think there is solerhing else I am missing??? 

Thanks

• JackE
    Options
    >>>Next, I check for volts at the battery connector on the motherboard.  It is reading 1xx miliVolts (MV) w/ and w/o the safety switch pressed.>>>

So what voltage do you measure when the safety switch is pressed on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>Next, I check for volts at the battery connector on the motherboard.  It is reading 1xx miliVolts (MV) w/ and w/o the safety switch pressed.>>>

So what voltage do you measure when the safety switch is pressed on? Jack E/NJ

With my finger pressing down on the safety switch, I get 1xx MV’s.  

Regardless w/o the battery connected to the motherboard, shouldnt i be able to run on DC Power?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes it should be able to run plugged in without a battery. If not, then the mainboard is likely defective. If it were mine, I'd try a solder reflow to try to salvage it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    Options
    JackE said:
    Yes it should be able to run plugged in without a battery. If not, then the mainboard is likely defective. If it were mine, I'd try a solder reflow to try to salvage it. Jack E/NJ
    Last question, 

Are there any other buttons that need to be pressed other than the safety switch? 

Reading thru the threads, I saw posts about the battery reset button causing problems no??  
  • JackE
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Good point. Unfortunately, the E5-575G doesn't seem to have a battery-disconnect switch. If it did there'd probably be a paperclip pinhole with a battery icon on its bottom cover. But I'd double check and carefully inspect the mainboard bottom for any other mechanical switches that seem like they'd be pressure-deactivated by a paperclip. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    Options
    JackE said:
    Good point. Unfortunately, the E5-575G doesn't seem to have a battery-disconnect switch. If it did there'd probably be a paperclip pinhole with a battery icon on its bottom cover. But I'd double check and carefully inspect the mainboard bottom for any other mechanical switches that seem like they'd be pressure-deactivated by a paperclip. Jack E/NJ
    It does have the battery disconnect button.  I have the pin hole with the battery icon on the bottom cover.  I have the entire bottom cover off so no need for a pin cover.  

With that being said, does the safwty switch need to be pressed down in order for the internal battery button to work properly when pressed??? Also, does the battery newd to be connected to the main board ?

Thanks
  • JackE
    Options
    The power safety switch would be a normally-off switch, so it needs pressure to keep it on. The battery reset switch would be a normally-on switch, so it needs NO pressure to keep it on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    Options
    JackE said:
    The power safety switch would be a normally-off switch, so it needs pressure to keep it on. The battery reset switch would be a normally-on switch, so it needs NO pressure to keep it on. Jack E/NJ

Thoughts on this pic
  • JackE
    Options
    I dunno. What number is closest to in relation to the top of the mainboard shown below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    Options
    I know what everything is in that photo. Mine has the 940mx but I was looking at the solder joint but there is another one similar to it across diagnollsy on the other side of the board.  I doubt its bad but IDK

thnaks for the reply
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. But where is the solder joint located on the bottom side. Just tell me what number on the top side that it's located near. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    Options
    JackE said:
    OK. But where is the solder joint located on the bottom side. Just tell me what number on the top side that it's located near. Jack E/NJ
    Number 16

head north and its to the right of the only small black square circuit or chip ornwhatever that thing is called. Zoom in and you can see it based on the pic I sent. 
  • VegasWhoa
    Options
    JackE said:
    I dunno. What number is closest to in relation to the top of the mainboard shown below. Jack E/NJ

After watchingthr guy on youtube (Electronics tepair school), he has an Acer, not a 575G but it had a no power problem and the testing was sinilar to my oroblem in terms of 19.x Volts going into the board. 

The problem ended up being this small rectangle chip near the white power connecter on the mother board.  Forwhatever reason i cant post a photo, i m getting file format not allowed( i m on an iPhone).   In any event, I checked the current to this chip and it was only 19.4V on one side.  It inly has two solder joints bit IDK if its suppose to have continuity.  If its suppose to, then there lies the problem.  I ll see if I can find the video but if you can fix my photo upload problem, that would help

• VegasWhoa
    edited August 2018
    Options
    JackE said:
    Here is the video I spoke of.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9b350urN2S0

This is wxactly what my E5-575G is doing.  No lights, no power.  Just now, I believe I correctly shorted the bios battery by using a paper clip touching both contact points.  

It didnt work for me but I am assuming I had my paper clip correctly touching both points.  Come to think of it, I might have touched them for 15 seconds not 30.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>This is [e]xactly what my E5-575G is doing.  No lights, no power>>>

At this point I can only suggest trying a full mainboard solder reflow since you seem to have nothing to lose. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ