Predator crashed while playing game, now won't turn on and won't charge (Predator Helios 300 17 In)

josephpaul385
josephpaul385 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,

Last night I was playing a game when my Predator just turned off and died.  I went to turn it back on and nothing happened.  I then noticed that, despite being plugged in, the charging light wasn't on.  I have a tried pressing the battery reset button, but nothing it hasn't seem to work.  

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Unplug the charger. Press the battery reset again for a much longer period of time --- several minutes. Then let the system stabilize for several hours. Then plug the charger back in. Then try to turn the machine back on. Report back with results. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• josephpaul385
    Hello,

Thanks for responding.  I did as you suggested and unfortunately nothing has changed, it still won't turn on or charge.  Do you any next steps I could take?

Thanks
  • JackE
    What's the full model number? PHxxx-xx? Or G3xxx-xx?? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    @JackE
    The 17" Helios model is PH317-51
    - Hotel Hero
  • JackE
    Thanks @Red-Sand . If @josephpaul385 has the PH model, a safety interlock switch may have been triggered on the mainboard near the RAM modules. The purpose of this switch is to disconnect power to the system when the case is opened. Sometimes while applying pressure to the keyboard, touchpad or otherwise moving the machine, the case might distort a bit and allow the switch to be triggered into its normally off position. The fix is simple involving tape and spacers but the machine must be opened up. The links below are possible solutions to your issue provided by users of similar models. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Jack E/NJ

• josephpaul385
    My apologies, the PH model number is PH317-51 as JackE said.  I was using a controller at the time, not touching the mouse or keyboard.  I will take a look at the links you sent, and I will most likely call the support line tomorrow/chat with support tomorrow and see what they say as well.  Thanks for your help.  
  • JackE
    @josephpaul385 If you call or chat with support, make sure they know about those links and the safety interlock switch. Some folks have sent their dead machines in for service only to find them shipped back with random shutdowns or resets starting all over again. The cases/covers were just not putting enough pressure on the switch to reliably keep it in the ON state. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    @josephpaul385 I can confirm what @JackE is saying to be accurate. I also own a PH317-51 model Helios and had the same issue initially.
    - Hotel Hero