Strange repeated screen (left hand side) - XB271HU

Options
Cerilia
Cerilia Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited February 14 in 2019 Archives
I just bought a new XB271HU, I just exited a game and the screen had seemed to have shifted a few pixels to the right, leaving a repeated screen on the left.

I fixed it by going into Nvidia CP and choosing Aspect ratio, instead of Full Screen.

Is this a know issue and is there an permanent fix?

Answers

• Cerilia
    Options
    Just happened again whilst in game on the loading screen and when I exited.....

It went by merely clicking on the screen.

https://ibb.co/f4o0z8
  • VarHyid
    VarHyid Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Interesting. Did you leave it at "aspect ratio" or changed back to "full screen"?

Also, do you have just one monitor and it's plugged in directly via DisplayPort (nothing in between, no repeaters etc.) or are any other devices connected to your graphics card - other screens or an AV receiver or something?
  • Cerilia
    Options
    Yes I left it on aspect ratio.....

Its a single monitor, with a direct DP connected...nothing else connected.

Im now debating whether to replace the monitor, send it for a firmware update or just go refund. I contacted Acer 'Spain' and they said they dont know what the problem is, but google clearly states on many threads its a Gsync firmware issue. However lots of customers with this generally get a new monitor from Acer instead of a repair. Im confused what action to take next!
  • VarHyid
    Options
    It depends on the return policies in your country and/or the store. If you've just purchased it recently and have the option to return it, I would personally use that option, but mention to the store that it's defective. They may offer you a replacement instead of a refund and if it's good - problem solved. If the next one will have the same problem, then you could send it to Acer.

Before you do anything, though, I have to ask - you are using the latest version of Nvidia's drivers and/or tried an earlier version? Just to be 100% sure that it's not a driver problem.
  • Cerilia
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The thing is I have no dead pixels, and next to no light bleed... my fear is getting a replacement and actually getting a worse Monitor 'Quality wise'.

I used two drivers, a 2 month old one and the latest.
  • VarHyid
    Options
    If you still have enough time to return it you could try to just buy a second one. If it's good and doesn't have this issue, you'll keep it and then return the first one.

I recently went through five ASUS monitors (the PG279Q), every single one of them had massive discoloration issues, they had some bleed, but minor, and one had 3 dead pixels. I returned all of them. Then I bought two Acer XB271HU monitors - the first one only had some small discoloration (nothing compared to ASUS, though) and the second one is near-perfect. I'm keeping both and considering getting a third for a 3-screen setup.

My point is, Acer's quality seems to be generally better. Neither of those two screens have dead pixels, or any backlight bleed. I'm also in Europe so chances are you may get a good one too. Mine are manufactured in March 2018 and April 2018.

Still, to be clear, of course I can't guarantee that you'll get a flawless replacement, you may try to send it for repair instead, it's your decision, I'm just saying that based on my personal experience, the odds of getting a good monitor from Acer seem to be pretty high in comparison to the competition.
  • MannixUK
    MannixUK Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi guys let me know i you get yours swapped as i too occasionally have this issue but it's not permanent so it is not enough to warrant an RMA imo.
    As you said it's a roulette with these things and i'm not really a gambling kinda person. That said, i've only purchased mine in the last 6 weeks and love it and can actually SEE what this "g-sync" is all about.

When the issue bug shows up there are a couple of ways to remedy it, 1: turn monitor  off then on, 2: change the resolution to something else then change it back. If it was a permanent bug then i would straight up RMA but as it can be resolved i'm just too lazy :/
  • Cerilia
    Options
    I think after much thought, that when you purchase such an expensive item, it should by rights not fail the first day of purchase. Yes its a minor defect, but its a defect nonetheless. I'm returning it and replacing it for a new monitor!

I'll update you all on the replacement, fingers Xed
  • VarHyid
    Options
    I read in another thread that people had this issue with other monitors from other brands and it might be an issue with the GSync module so... I hope the replacement won't do this anymore, but given this information, I don't think I would replace mine.

I think the first one I bought actually had such issue too, but I blamed the specific setup - I have it connected via both DP and HDMI, that is:

PC ---DP---> Monitor

PC ---HDMI---> A/V Receiver ---HDMI--> Monitor

Nvidia sees this as 2 screens, but I'm only using one so "both" screens are in clone mode. The reason I do this is to get HDMI audio to the received. Now, I think I saw this issue when I switched to HDMI and/or after plugging and unplugging a second real monitor or fiddling with the overclock settings. It didn't surprise me given that the receiver doesn't support 1440p so looking at the HDMI signal could be... funky.

I've only seen this one time and never again, but keep in mind that I'm using it at 120 Hz (no overclock), I have Deep Sleep off and I always turn it completely off for the night. Not sure how relevant this is, but just saying, in case your new one still has this issue, at least you could check if it ever happens under those circumstances or only if you wake it up from sleep or only when overclocked.
  • Cerilia
    Options
    Thanks but I didnt oc my monitor or have any other display connected or cable. I factory reset and still got it even after my screen saver clicked in.
  • MannixUK
    MannixUK Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Fair play look forward to your feedback once the new monitor arrives.
  • Cerilia
    Options
    Ok got a new April 2018 build monitor, slightly worse BLB, strangely the same FW as the old one. I'll see if it bugs out with the pixel line...
  • Cerilia
    Options
    lol guess what.... an April 2018 build has the same issue. However when I repurchased this model they were offering a 5 year warranty on it for the same price. So knowing its a faulty monitor, in 5 years I'll be covered!

Acer really needs to sort itself out.... consumers are not push over's anymore.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I do not know if it solves your problem, but a driver for your monitor at this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/BR/content/support-product/6434?b=1
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cerilia
    Options
    I do not know if it solves your problem, but a driver for your monitor at this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/BR/content/support-product/6434?b=1
    404 page not found?!?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Go to this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/BR/content/drivers and put the monitor model!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cerilia
    Options
    still the same error... however isnt the drivers well out of date and only up to Windows 8?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The monitor drivers, even for windows 8, will probably work on windows 10!
    However you can check if the error remains updating the video drivers using the driverbooster! Also check if changing the display resolution and refresh rate if the problem persists!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Cerilia
    edited July 2018
    Options
    No offence but this problem has been in existence for years with this model of monitor.... all of the above has already been tried and tested. ACER response is return to base and get a new 'Refurbished' panel, we cant fix it!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

Use the following steps to check the firmware version of your monitor:

1. Power off monitor.
    2. Press and hold the empowering button + Power button.
    3. Keep holding BOTH buttons.
    4. Release the power button when the desktop appears and immediately release and press the empowering button again.
    5. The firmware version will be listed at the bottom of the screen.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer