Why does my Acer TravelMate p2 lagging when I tried to use MacOS X 10.10 Yosemite in VirtualBox?

Options
GajalShankar
GajalShankar Member Posts: 109 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have given even more RAM than my host OS and Also processor which I can give as best as possible to any virtual machine.even though it is quite slow.WHY IS IT SO ? IS IT NOT ENOUGH ?

Here are my laptop configuration from speccy software

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,480 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The posts by SteveV and Maze are the most relevant posts. Because mainboards maybe a bit different even in the same model, the placement of the switch may not be exactly in the same place. The purpose of the switch is to disconnect internal battery power when the case is opened for models whose battery is inside the case. The switch usually isn't needed in models with external batteries since these batteries must be removed before opening the case. If you can, please post an image of the "battery release button" you are referring to, since this may suggest that your machine has an external battery. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If the mainboard is changed, the mechanic might have arrange to transfer the ACER OEM factory-preinstalled Windows license to the new mainboard since this license is no longer stored on the HDD. You can get the OEM license key from the current mainboard by entering "wmic os get serialnumber" without the quotes at the command prompt. You should also get the current mainboard's serial number id (SNID) by entering "wmic bios get serialnumber" withoiut the quotes. Both these numbers might be needed to maintain the license.

I suggest that you not allow the mechanic change the mainboard until he double-checks if the random restart or shutdown issue is due to the safety interlock switch problem as we discussed in the links earlier in this thread. A replacement mainboard might have the same problem if the laptop case cover doesn't properly de-activate it so that has to be fixed with tape as described in the links.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• GajalShankar
    Options
    WILL SOMEONE RECOMMEND ME FOR IMPROVEMENT ?
  • JackE
    Options
    Do you have any non-Microsoft virus or malware scanners installed and running on the host? If yes, uninstall them completely. You only need Windows defender. Also, disable Windows file indexing. Try to monitor core usage. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    I don't have any malware scanner.Only I have CCleaner for fixing registry.And How to disable windows file indexing?
  • JackE
    Options
    Disable indexing by opening file explorer. Right click C:\. Left click properties. Uncheck allow file indexing box under general tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    Will I able to search the files ? but from the same way can I rebuild indexing?
  • JackE
    Options
    File search might be noticeably slower unless you have an SSD or a fast HDD. I suggest that you first try temporarily disabling indexing to see if it helps speed up the virtual machine. If it doesn't help speed it up, re-enable it and we'll try some other possible solutions. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    I have HDD.no gain in speed i tried
  • JackE
    edited July 2018
    Options
    OK. I searched for your post for this lag problem on the oracle community  https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=25  but couldn't find it. Have you posted this issue on one of their other virtualbox forums yet? If yes, please send me the link so I can follow the discussion. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    Thanks for helping me.I haven't posted on virtualbox forums and I think I need to drop this idea of using mac on windows Because I'm suffering from unknown issue that my laptop randomly shutdown (when I use it only on battery) without any warning/BSOD.
    I tried many possible solutions by checking Microsoft community,windows central.I contacted Acer for this issue they told me update bios and I have done that too.Nothing works.
    I checked my windows log with error report but I don't know much about that. Will U help me if I show you my logs?

I guess this is not due to mac on virtualbox stuff.
  • JackE
    edited July 2018
    Options
    >>>Will U help me if I show you my logs?>>>laptop randomly shutdown (when I use it only on battery)>>>

Sure, post the event logs. The battery-alone shutdown might have 2 causes. (1) A battery safety-interlock switch that is being inadvertently-activated when using the keyboard or otherwise physically disturbing the machine. Fix is simple but requires disassembly. (2) Internal battery controller is damaged requiring battery replacement. Jack E/MJ

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    Hello
    I contacted Acer. So,A mechanic came today and opened my laptop and he disconnected all the wires and using a brush he cleaned dust from fan and reconnected all the wires then closed it and told me use the laptop till the battery reaches to 20%.
    Hopefully,Now my laptop didn't shutdown till the battery reaches to 20% and after charging again to 74%.I unplugged my charger after 5-10 minutes again an unexpected shutdown.Then I restarted,Again within 5-10 minutes of use same problem restarted.
    It happened 2-4 times.

Again I called Acer mechanic .He told me they will change the motherboard within 3-4 days.I'm shocked

HOW THIS BIG PROBLEM CAME only within 9 months when I bought this laptop? Is it a manufacturing defect ??
    Or I need to tell him to change my laptop battery for noticing my issue if the problem occurs again then I have to go for motherboard change?
    Or something else that should be done to  prevent this problem before motherboard change?
    Should I send my windows log?

Writing this comment after this problem happened(my laptop is plugged in to avoid unexpected shutdown)

• JackE
    Options
    Did mechanic review event log? You can post log here or send it in a personal message. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    No,But he reviewed reliability history of 3rd and 4th July.

• GajalShankar
    Options
    Was that logs helpful?

• JackE
    Options
    >>>laptop randomly shutdown >>>

You may have a problem with a safety interlock switch on the mainboard due to misalignment of the top and bottom covers. The fixes are relatively simple involving tape or spacers but the laptop must be opened up. Here are two possible solutions.  Jack E/NJ
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    Hi,I read your provided link for solution but I want to know the misalignment of top and bottom covers was a manufacturing defect or it's due to laptop not being stationary while using ? In my model same thing exists how do I know?
    what reset button does ?
  • JackE
    Options
    Only know how to fix the safety interlock switch issues in a relatively few laptops that it's happened to. What "reset button" are you referring to? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    Ok
    But till now I'm unable to understand how to fix safety interlock switch.Please tell me once by your own
    comments in that link are little mixed up
    That's battery release button at bottom of my laptop (my mistake)

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The posts by SteveV and Maze are the most relevant posts. Because mainboards maybe a bit different even in the same model, the placement of the switch may not be exactly in the same place. The purpose of the switch is to disconnect internal battery power when the case is opened for models whose battery is inside the case. The switch usually isn't needed in models with external batteries since these batteries must be removed before opening the case. If you can, please post an image of the "battery release button" you are referring to, since this may suggest that your machine has an external battery. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• GajalShankar
    Options
    Very thanks for your explanation
    My laptop's battery is internal.
    Recently(now),that mechanic did some test using acer diagnostic suite then he found some issues with battery test and he have to replace the battery.If the problem exists then he need to change the motherboard.
    Will changing the motherboard affect my preinstalled windows if I use my same HDD?