Can someone please help me fix my 100% disk being used - Nitro AN515-51

TreyMonkey
TreyMonkey Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited June 2018 in Nitro Gaming
I just bought a nitro laptop and it constantly has 100% disk being used in task manager and i have tried multiple solution on trying to fix it but i have yet to figure it out?
If anyone can help me figure out a solution that would be greatly appreciated also pretty disappointing that a brand new laptop barely works 

Nitro AN515-51

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    100% disk usage could indicate a faulty drive(very unlikely as it is new) or some kind of a driver incompatibility or maybe something else.

Run windows in safe mode and if the issue still persists, then it isn't a driver. You can use Acer Care Centre or crystaldiskinfo to find out the health status of the drive. You can also use crystaldiskmark to test the read and write speeds of the drive and if they are low, then the issue comes from the drive.

Besides 100% disk usage does the system take long to boot, or does it feel slow when opening programs?

If the issue persists safemode, I suggest you to contact your seller and ask for a replacement. If the return policy is expired contact Acer tech support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• TreyMonkey

Tinkerer

Sorry for the late response I just tried to boot it in safe mode and when i open task manager it only shows me cpu and memory and thats it.
    Also the laptop feels slow when booting and opening any program i factory reset it yesterday to see if that would help any but it didnt I dont know what to do this is really frustrating cause you would think stuff outta the box would work perfectly but guess not 
  • ven98
    Your laptop has 8GB of RAM, right?

Did you try crystaldiskinfo and Acer Care Centre to find the health status if the drive? Are you on SSD or HDD?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• TreyMonkey

Tinkerer

the acer care center says that the status is good and its an hdd
  • ven98
    OK. Does the laptop respond slowly in safe mode? If it isn't the drive then it is very possible to be because of a driver incompatibility. I suggest you to install latest nvidia and intel drivers from the official websites. The other drivers you can download from here.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• TreyMonkey

Tinkerer

I didnt really play around in safe mode I just opened task manager to see if it was at 100% but i will check the drivers and report back asap
  • TreyMonkey

Tinkerer

drivers are up to date and still 100% disk being used thank you for all your help but I think I'm just gonna either talk to acer or just leave it be 
  • Safi842
    Safi842 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Try disabling windows search and Superfetch in the Services. If it isn't solved it's probable due to the windows update loop. I had the same issue initially. I installed Windows update assistant and updated it to the latest windows 10 1803 (initially it was win 10 1703). This solved the issue. If you can't update using Windows update assistant then try downloading ISO file and create a bootable USB and install Windows. 
    Hope this helps!
  • Bossman1
    Bossman1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I had 100% disk usage issue after installing an m.2 ssd. Fixed by removing Intel RST
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    You do not need to disable intel rst! Watch this video that is in Portuguese where the presenter shows the step by step how to correct this problem! The tips start from the sixth minute: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWESrvP_uU8&t=1s
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • twkitch
    twkitch Member Posts: 2 New User
    TreyMonkey what was the outcome? Did you manage to get it sorted. I'm on my second they couldnt fix the first one disk runs 100% nearly all the time. It's a giant paperweight
  • @twkitch! Have you checked that the windows update solves the disk problem 100%?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • twkitch
    twkitch Member Posts: 2 New User
    The usual windows 10 updates are being installed, are you referring to something other than the periodic updates
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    You can upgrade to version 1809, which is much more stable and check if it solves the problem: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445
    Also check if uninstalling the antivirus, if you have some installed, if it solves the problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TreyMonkey

Tinkerer

Sorry for not responding to anyone trying to help me thank you but i kinda just gave up with the laptop, I tried so many different things and nothing worked for me also acer was no help at all so im just gonna take my business elsewhere next time im looking for a laptop 
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    At this point I would try a factory reset and reinstall Windows 10. At idle, there should not be constant harddrive access. This is almost always a program or service(s) running in the background. This is why you should always be selective of what additional software you install with Windows as it's very easy to create a resource hog if you do not keep your background services optimized.

Another thought; how much physical memory is installed in this system? Also, how big is the page file? IS the pagefile located on the main or secondary harddrive? Is this harddrive an SSD? In short; if you're using all of your system memory and having to access the pagefile on a slower RPM drive while using Windows that is a bottleneck. You can either install more physical memory, or move the pgaefile to a secondary SSD that's much faster.
  • TreyMonkey

Tinkerer

I did a factory reset twice and both times i pick to install the bare minimum from windows and it never helped my problem also no idea on page file but the laptop has one hdd that i replaced thinking that would work but that also didnt help
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Are you installing any additional software after Windows? What is your Memory usage indicated at in Task Manager at idle?

It's hard to decipher over the web, especially when new details pop-up later that completely change the troubleshooting steps and diagnosis approach. If you re-installed Windows twice already and replaced the factory harddrive with another; why wasn't that in the original post? Those are important details.

Is the harddrive an NVME SSD, SATA SSD or an older 5400RPM-7200RPM unit? The performance difference between the 3 is significant. It's also important to understand the scenario I portrayed above in which you may be utilizing all of your physical RAM (4GB? 8GB?) simply running Windows which then leads to using the pagefile on the harddrive which significantly affects performance if it is an older/slower drive! This is exactly when you would see 100% HDD use at idle.

I realize this is frustrating to troubleshoot. I would simply hate to see someone spend an additional $600-1,000 on a different laptop when a $100 RAM upgrade might have fixed it (that's just a guess).
  • TreyMonkey

Tinkerer

i did those changes long after the original post and haven cared enough to try to fix it since but no i haven't added any additional software to the laptop its pretty much fresh out of the box, for the hard drive pretty sure its a seagate hhd cant say what speed cause i didnt pay to much attention to that when i was trying to fix the laptop just wanted to try somethings i had read. It comes with 16gb of ram ill see about changing the ram sometime and see if that works
  • OK! However the problem of the disk in 100%, is not a problem in the hardware, but in the operating system or in some program! This problem occurs in both ssd and hd and is present since windows 8! Do you have any antivirus installed? Have you already upgraded windows to version 1809?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer