Predator Sense not detecting CPU freq after the Windows 10 April (1803) update G5-793

Dariusdd
Dariusdd Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited June 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hello, I have recently upgraded to the 1803 build of W10 and encountered an issue with Acer's Predator Sense and Intel's XTU. They both cannot detect the processor's current clock frequency, and XTU outright doesn't see any processor installed. This happens on my Predator G5-793 with the latest (1.14) BIOS update applied. I have encountered this issue before updating the BIOS firmware, and thought it could be fixed by it. It wasn't fixed.
I tried running Predator Sense in compatibility mode, as well as reinstalling the chipset driver among several other (like the sound driver) which got overwritten by Microsoft for who knows what reason.
Any other ideas other than starting from a fresh state? I can't really do that, as I don't have enough space to backup my system's applications.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• Dariusdd
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    Aaaand it seems I was missing a driver. Good riddance. If anybody else reads this in search of a fix for the issue, go and check your drivers. Even better, go and reinstall all the drivers you were previously using, since it seems Windows liked to replace them.
    LE: If while installing the Predator Sense you are greeted by a message warning you about the drivers not being signed/verified etc, do accept them and continue the installation. It seems that Intel's XTU is currently breaking whatever gets installed with Acer's application.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    What happens when you switch to other modes( Faster and Turbo)? Have you tried reinstalling Predator Sense App? If not give it a try, download it from Acer support site, go to Control panel, Programs and uninstall the current installation, then install the downloaded app.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7010?b=1
  • Dariusdd
    The other modes overclock the GPU as usual. The application just doesn't recognize the CPU. Reinstalling the application did not work btw.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    G9-793 here PredatorSense is running as normal after updating to 1803.  Only thing differnet I observerd was that Dolby defaulted to off, just turned it back on, everything else is good.  First thing I'd do is uninstall XTU, wouldn't be surprised if it's not compatible with 1803.  ThrottleStop latest update to 8.60 1803 compatibility was part of the version history.

For those using Controlled Folder Access, it's now tracking memory so needs further App permissions from time to time.

Q-6
  • Dariusdd
    Do you have the Kaby Lake G9? I have the Skylake G5 model. I have unistalled XTU before you've suggested it, it obviously didn't fix my issue since it probably lies elsewhere.
  • Queen6
    Dariusdd said:
    Do you have the Kaby Lake G9? I have the Skylake G5 model. I have unistalled XTU before you've suggested it, it obviously didn't fix my issue since it probably lies elsewhere.
    Kaby Lake 7700HQ, nor have I installed XTU, as PredatorSense was already using the XTU service. Opted to use ThrottleStop and defer the start up by 2 minutes.  Have you checked to see if the XTU service is running, I know if it not than no CPU frequency is displayed.

All I can think of is to fully remove XTU & PredatorSense then reinstall PredatorSense, hopefully that will also install the required XTU service without the rest Intel's SW.

Q-6
  • Dariusdd
    I did think of resetting the battery, but I forgot. Good thing you mentioned it!
    It still did not work though. Here's a screenshot just for the sake of it.
  • Queen6
    This is exactly what my G9-793 does if I disable the XTU service, and potentially where your problem lies...

Q-6
  • Dariusdd
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    Aaaand it seems I was missing a driver. Good riddance. If anybody else reads this in search of a fix for the issue, go and check your drivers. Even better, go and reinstall all the drivers you were previously using, since it seems Windows liked to replace them.
    LE: If while installing the Predator Sense you are greeted by a message warning you about the drivers not being signed/verified etc, do accept them and continue the installation. It seems that Intel's XTU is currently breaking whatever gets installed with Acer's application.
  • fuzzy_MFD
    fuzzy_MFD Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello, a little late to the party here but I am also experiencing the same problem where the CPU frequency on dashed lines. Daruisdd, you fixed the problem by reinstalling drivers. Which drivers and how exactly did you go about it? A detailed explanation would be helpful since I have attempted and failed to successfully resolve the issue by removing the processor drivers in device manager.   
  • Squatta
    Squatta Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Same issue here, but mine started in Windows 11.