Predator 17 G9-791 CPU frequency and Fan issues

PredatorG9-791
PredatorG9-791 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi, I have two issues that developed suddenly one year after using my Predator 17 G9-791 with an Intel i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60GHz.

Issue #1: The CPU frequency as reported by Predator Sense has dropped to 800MHz from 2600MHz and the CPU temperature is now showing as 0 degrees celcius. This is clearly shown in the screenshots below:Predator Sense and CPU-Z informationPredator Sense and CPU-Z informationTask ManagerTask Manager

Issue #2: At the same time issue #1 happened, the internal fan started to work continuously at maximum speed from the booting till the laptop is turned off.

I reported these issues to Acer Technical Support who asked for the laptop to reset to Factory image. This was done without any success. All new updated drivers were also installed but this remained the same. They then asked for the laptop to be sent to them, only then to be told that the system was normal after they ran full stress tests on it for 48 hours. I received the laptop but the same issues remain.

The laptop does not show any high temperatures as it's been in the same location for the past year and used on daily basis without any problems before these two issues.

Any advice, solutions and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Answers

• WinterGale
    WinterGale Member Posts: 24 Networker

You're experiencing Thermal Throttling. The most common cause is when you're laptop overheats. Did your laptop suddenly turned off while you were using it then when you turned it back on this issue occured?

However, whatever the cause is, use this as a temporary solution:

1. Download ThermalStop.

2. Turn BD PROCHOT off.

After doing these two steps, your laptop's clockspeed should go back to normal but it won't solve your fan running at maximum speed. 

I experienced this problem before (although my laptop didn't overheat), and I sent it to a technician. I wasn't billed because they told me it was a driver problem and they solved it simply by updating the Thermal Control drivers. 

(I cannot believe Acer support wasn't able to remedy the problem you had, when I brought my Predator laptop to Acer they solved this problem is less than two hours.)

• svchost
    svchost Member Posts: 21 New User

Hi, i have the same issue, mine is PREDATOR 15. My screen suddenly went to black and when i pressed power button, fans were started to run in maximum speed for a few seconds. And now, fans are always at constant speed, regardless to tempeature. But also, performance is decreased too somehow. I have fps lags and a slower pc. 

• goom
    goom Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey there,

I just want to say thank you for recommending ThrottleStop and turning the setting BD PROCHOT off.

I am actually using a different model than OP, a Predator Helios 300 (G3-571), and this is my fourth day owning it. My first three days were fantastic and I had no issues with FPS or lag in-game. Last night, all of a sudden my performance took a huge dip and I've spen about 6 hours now trying to find out why.

I'm not sure what caused the throttling to persist between power downs, but this has fixed my issue. My temp never hit 98 in the first place (that I noticed, anyway) so I am not sure why it hard throttled my CPU.

I cannot thank you enough. I was beginning to look at returning this machine and that is something I certainly want to avoid if possible.

Have a kudos!

• svchost

ThrottleStop made Mhz normal, now its changing. Thank you.One last question, if i dont change anything except BD PROCHOT, it wont damage my cpu right?

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

I can reproduce your issue by putting of the power cable (same MHZ values) and let it run at Battery Mode. There I can also adjust the settings and reach full speed. So I would advice to check if your Battery is loaded correctly while gaming, because the Predator needs also Battery power at full speed.

• svchost

Ven98 advised me to reset battery. 

Procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSENAnECktw

It solved it. CPU Mhz is not constant, CPU Tempeature is not 0* anymore, also fans are running at different speeds. Its 1800 rpm on idle now.

• EYEcYOU
    EYEcYOU Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey its a bit later haha
    But i think i am in the righte topic to ask.
    Have same problems but inverted. Since i play on a Predator WQHD screen, with my P 17 (gtx 1070, i7700hq, 64gbram), it gets very hot, about 95 cpu temp. in the xtu it says i have thermal throtting, but the cpu doesnt drop. Settings are normal on 30% performace in case of throtte. I know WQHD is maybe bit to much, but is it rlly for my components?! Bcus i cant play lower with that screen, if i drop it to full HD the graphics are full of pixxels.

• EYEcYOU
    EYEcYOU Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thx for the maybe answers ^^

Ps. Why are there two different fans in the case? One aeroblade 3D and the other an old one, who gets much more dirty. 😅
  • oneshot20
    oneshot20 Member Posts: 1 New User
    svchost said:

Ven98 advised me to reset battery. 

Procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSENAnECktw

It solved it. CPU Mhz is not constant, CPU Tempeature is not 0* anymore, also fans are running at different speeds. Its 1800 rpm on idle now.

the youtube link isn't working and i'm having the same issue on acer predator 17 sG9-791 with the same 800MHz cpu speed and always maximum fan speed and 0 celsius CPU tempereature on predator sense. what was the solution that fixed your problem exactly?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    oneshot20 you dont need the youtube link the process its on the acer support answers check here to perform a complete battery power drain disconnect from AC press/hold the battery pinhole switch for 30s+ let it rest for 3/4h to drain all capacitors completely then boot into bios and reset setup to defaults check if the issue still persists 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/