Windows 10/1709 Version - FPS drops and stutters

Options
NAtanasov
NAtanasov Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives
Here is the problem I have been having for last 4 months:
After I bought my new Acer Swift315-51G in October, 2017 everything was running fine. So I'd decided to buy 2 games: Starcraft 2 and Guild Wars 2(both expansions). A couple of months gaming without any problems. Until the middle of January:
I have started getting FPS drops in both games or the so called stutters - from 60 down to 12 for 1-2 seconds, each 10 seconds. I tried other games aswell, same thing. It doesn't get fixed by lowering the graphics, so it has nothing to do with the game requirements. Still here are my PC specifications:
Intel® Core™ i7-7500U
RAM: 16 GB
NVIDIA MX150
To check whether I wasn't going mad, I downloaded even an old MMORPG from 2004 with the following requirements:
CPUPentiumIII 1.2GHz
RAM1GB
Video Card256MB
Same story, I still get the stutters. The only thing that I can play right now on this computer are mobile games with the help of an emulator.
Here are the things that I have tried:
Complete Re-install of Windows
Uninstall/Install Drivers completely
Disable GameBar (even with the regedit)
Lower Graphics to minimum (not a change in the FPS drops, even worse)
Update to newest drivers everything
Set settings to higher performance (NVIDIA,Intel)
Contacted Microsoft Support more than 10-15 times, NVIDIA Forums.
From all the forums I have read it has to do something with the screen optimizations and Windows Updates.

Any clues, help, suggestions? Would it help if I gave my laptop to be looked over, since it still has it's warranty? Everything else: Videos, Browsers and etc. works fine, but once a game is started it begins to make these things. I repeat, those weren't appearing for a couple of months, so my best presumption is that it has to do something with a Windows Update. Sorry for the long thread and I hope anyone could help me.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @NAtanasov Thanks for report. All the tests you did seemed to point at a hardware issue. Have you had a chance to test it yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    >>>Complete Re-install of Windows>>>

Did you do a complete re-install to a factory-fresh Win10 state from the hidden recovery partition? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NAtanasov
    Options
    JackE schrieb:
    >>>Complete Re-install of Windows>>>

Did you do a complete re-install to a factory-fresh Win10 state from the hidden recovery partition? Jack E/NJ
    Do you mean the one you are offered if a person wants to sell his computer to third party?
  • JackE
    Options
    The ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method outside of the Windows environment. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• NAtanasov
    Options
    Yes, I have used this one.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options
    Have you tried opening Task Manager to see what is using your resources ?
  • NAtanasov
    Options
    I have read that it is possible that the CPUs might not be working all simultaneously, but they were working fine. I mean, none was slacking. What else and how should I look for?padgett said:
    Have you tried opening Task Manager to see what is using your resources ?

• padgett
    Options
    Anything (disk, memory, network, cpu) running over 80%
  • NAtanasov
    Options
    I am sorry that I answer with a little delay, but I have done what you told me to.
    I have tried it on two different games: Guild Wars 2 and Fortnite - the result is the same, I get spikes on the GPU to 100% when the laggs occur then it goes back down and the FPS drops aren't there. So what should I do now?
  • NAtanasov
    Options
    NAtanasov said:
    I am sorry that I answer with a little delay, but I have done what you told me to.
    I have tried it on two different games: Guild Wars 2 and Fortnite - the result is the same, I get spikes on the GPU to 100% when the laggs occur then it goes back down and the FPS drops aren't there. So what should I do now?
    I figured out it would be also important to mention the Modul: it says GPU 1, which in my case is the NVIDIA GeForce MX150
  • NAtanasov
    Options
    So here is also a photo of the GPU Diagramm, the place where it is low is because I switched to the task manager to take the picture.
  • NAtanasov
    Options
    As I have mentioned before, I play mobile games using the emulator Nox: When playing on it the GPU seems to be okay, running at a steady 15%-20%.
  • JackE
    Options
    @NAtanasov >>> A couple of months gaming without any problems. Until the middle of January:>>>

If you have tried the ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset --- and if you get the same result with the same games BEFORE any Win10 updates  have had a chance to install --- then it's more likely a hardware issue occured in the middle of January. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    Options
    Today it may be struggling with the ginormous Win 10-1803 update.
  • NAtanasov
    Options
    padgett said:
    Today it may be struggling with the ginormous Win 10-1803 update.
    I am using the 1709 Version.
  • NAtanasov
    Options
    JackE said:
    @NAtanasov >>> A couple of months gaming without any problems. Until the middle of January:>>>

If you have tried the ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset --- and if you get the same result with the same games BEFORE any Win10 updates  have had a chance to install --- then it's more likely a hardware issue occured in the middle of January. Jack E/NJ

Is the cold boot factory reset any different from the one you make using the following path: Start - Settings - Updates and Security - Advanced start - Troubleshooting - Reset PC?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, it's the factory-installed ACER-specific Win10 re-set from the hidden ACER recovery partition. Turn the router off so a Win10 update can't sneak in there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NAtanasov
    Options
    JackE said:
    Yes, it's the factory-installed ACER-specific Win10 re-set from the hidden ACER recovery partition. Turn the router off so a Win10 update can't sneak in there. Jack E/NJ
    Okay, I shall try it.
  • NAtanasov
    Options
    I think it has to do something with hardware. The other night the processor made some strange noises. I believe the NVIDIA card might have been damage because of overheating. I didn't have a cooler pod before, so I am going to send the laptop for service check since it's still in waranty.

• JackE
    Options
    Did you try the coldboot re-set without the router yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NAtanasov
    Options
    JackE said:
    Did you try the coldboot re-set without the router yet? Jack E/NJ
    Nope, but I don't think that would be it. + in order to test it, I would still have to turn on the router in order to install a game.