Acer one 10 S1003 doesn't boot from windows bootable USB

Answers

• Lei38
    Lei38 Member Posts: 2 New User
    can anyone help me what to do? when I opened my Acer One 10 after a year, this what is shown in the screen

• Charky
    Charky Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hola tengo un problema para encender mi Acer one 10 s1003,  y sí tiene batería,  alguien que me ayude? Cuento 10 segundos y suelto el botón de encendido y nada.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Retire el cargador. Inserte el sujetapapeles en el orificio de reinicio de la batería en la parte inferior de la computadora portátil durante 30 segundos. Luego, vuelva a enchufar el cargador. Espere hasta que el LED de carga de la batería se vuelva azul. Luego presione el botón de encendido durante solo 3 segundos para intentar encender la máquina. Jack E/NJ

Remove charger. Insert paperclip into battery reset pinhole on bottom of laptop for 30 seconds. Then plug charger back in. Wait until battery charge LED turns blue. Then press power button for only 3 seconds to try to turn machine on.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    @Lei38 you should start your own thread.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Houjii
    Houjii Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the one 10 s1003 and i have the same problem for install windows 10 but now its fixed !!! Thanks you very much vojtechh
    That help me so much

• mceuca
    mceuca Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    vojtechh said:
    Hello, after many long nights I have finally found the solution.

First, let me say that this computer (if you can even call it that) is terrible. I have never worked with anything worse than this. Now onto the guide:

Windows won't boot from the USB installation media at all, so you can't actually install windows on the thing. You will have to copy the installation over. For that we will use some linux magic and VirtualBox. So go ahead and download VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) on a different computer. Then you have to obtain the 32 bit Windows ISO (https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10ISO).

Fire up VirtualBox and create a new Virtual Machine. The hard drive size should be about 28 GB. Then go to the settings of your VM and turn on EFI (System > Motherboard > Extended Features > Enable EFI). Then go ahead and boot your VM, select the ISO you've downloaded and proceed. Install Windows as you normally would but do not continue past the setup screen after reboot (the one where you pick your area). Press Shift+F10, cmd should pop up. Type in <b>shutdown /s /t 0</b>. The VM should shutdown.

After that go to the installation folder of VirtualBox (C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\) and open cmd there. Type in <b>VBoxManage.exe clonehd --format RAW source.vdi Windows.img</b> where source.vdi is the virtual disk you've created when creating the VM and Windows.img is the output file that is going to be created (You can put it on the desktop so you don't have to open CMD as an Administrator). Once that is done, download Rufus (https://rufus.ie/), open it up and press the SELECT button. Select the Windows.img you have just exported using VBoxManage. Then select a USB drive (min. 32GB) you will use (this will wipe it and you will lose all your data, so backup). Get a coffee since this is going to take a while.

Meanwhile rufus is burning the img onto the USB drive, download PuppyLinux (http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download > 32bit Ubuntu Bionic). Find another usb drive (this time it can be a small one, even 1 GB should work) and wait for the Rufus to finish the previous work. Don't close it yet, since we need it to burn puppy linux. Once again select it using the SELECT button and choose your smaller USB drive. It is important to select MBR as the partition scheme, since otherwise it won't boot. Once that is burned we are ready to boot it from the laptop/tablet.

Plug both drives to your acer tablet (you need an USB OTG cabel for this) and turn it on while pressing the ESC key. A configuration screen should show up. Go to Boot From File and then find the USB drive with puppy linux. Boot from the 32bit .efi file. Click enter on all the Grub screens and you should get to the desktop. Open terminal and type in lsblk a list of storage media should show up. Then type in dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 status=progress  make sure to replace the X with a letter of the 32 gig USB drive from lsblk (mmcblk0 is the internal storage of the laptop, if that has a different name you have to change it according to the output from lsblk). Press enter and wait. Once this command completes you have successfully installed Windows on this terrible computer!

Reboot and finish the windows setup. After that press the Windows Key+R and type in diskmgmt.msc, right click on the C: partition and extend it to the maximum size.

The only thing left is to install all the drivers. Since there is no Wifi yet, you will have to copy them over. Luckily Acer has made an automatic installation of all the drivers (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6822?b=1 > Platform Drivers Installer). Once that is on the tablet, open cmd as root and cd to the Scripts folder of this driver package. Run the install file and wait for it to finish. Now all the drivers should be installed. Congrats.

What am I doing wrong? I followed the exact procedure, all seemed to go well until the last reboot from puppy linux. After reboot the PC tells me there's no bootable drive so it won't let me go finish the Windows setup.
    The device i'm fighting with is Acer One 10 S1003-10L5
  • JackE
    Windows setup is expecting to install on an GPT partitioned drive. You've installed Linux on an MBR partitioned drive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mceuca

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Windows setup is expecting to install on an GPT partitioned drive. You've installed Linux on an MBR partitioned drive. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you for the input, my experience with Linux is very limited. What do I do now to fix it?
    Interesting part is that if I stick now a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 x32 setup will start but it doesn't detect the hard drive to install on.
  • JackE
    If you're trying to dual boot, you'll probably have to wipe the drive clean, install Windows, then install Linux but only if the drive has enough room. If you have the S1003 model, there is NOT enough room and no way to make more room since it's main storage is a very limited size chip soldered to the mainboard. Sorry. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mceuca

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    I'd like to elaborate my situation a little more. The device was working "properly", it had Windows 10 Home installed but at some point, after an update Windows expanded to the point where it was taking nearly the entire space of the 32 GB eMMC drive this machine has. I had a little more than 2 GB of free space left at best, not enough to install too many applications and rendering the device nearly unusable. I tried to clean and free up space using disk cleanup and other tools and there was not a lot of junk to get rid of, the best I could do was 2.8 GB with absolutely nothing installed on the machine except for Windows. Machine was constantly telling me that there were new Windows updates to be installed but it was impossible to do that because of minimum free space requirement that I couldn't meet no matter what.
    At some point I wanted to sell the device and just tried to reset it to factory defaults and again I faced the same issue, the operation would not run because of low disk space.
    So I looked up the net and came across vojjtech's tutorial and I decided to give it a try.
    I followed all the steps exactly and all was good until this point "Once this command completes you have successfully installed Windows on this terrible computer! Reboot and finish the windows setup. After that press the Windows Key+R..."
    Now the computer won't boot, it does not detect a bootable drive.
    I can succesfully boot PuppyLinux from the USB stick and I can also boot up a Windows 10 setup USB but I can't install because the setup won't detect any hard drive to install on.
    Under Linux I can see the 32 GB eMMC drive but I don't know how to make the device see it in BIOS.
    I tried fdisk command, made it an active partition it didn't work out.
    I also tried Gparted but it won't run, it would get stuck during boot up.
    Like I said, I don't know much about Linux, I'd appreciate any help to get this machine running Windows again.
    Thank you

• mceuca

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    If you're trying to dual boot, you'll probably have to wipe the drive clean, install Windows, then install Linux but only if the drive has enough room. If you have the S1003 model, there is NOT enough room and no way to make more room since it's main storage is a very limited size chip soldered to the mainboard. Sorry. Jack E/NJ
    Not going for dual boot, just want to have Windows again.
    Initially I couldn't make the device boot up from a USB with Windows setup so I wanted to try the "setup porting" from a VM as in vojjtech's tutorial.
  • mceuca

Tinkerer

OK, I figured it out eventually. When I wrote the VM image to the 32GB USB stick using Rufus, somehow the partition scheme got switched to MBR instead of GPT. So I had 2 options to fix it
    1 - either rewrite the VM image making sure it was GPT this time and go through all the porting process again
    2 - use gdisk command under Puppy Linux and convert MBR to GPT then install Windows normally using the Windows USB
    I thought option 2 was better for the amount of time needed to complete so I went for it. The device is running the latest version of Windows 10 x32 now.
    Thank you JackE for the MBR vs GPT hint
  • JackE
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• S1003
    S1003 Member Posts: 117 Troubleshooter
    Hi 
    I'm from India 
    I have created a recovery drive on my Acer s1003 but it failed 
    So, it formatted my disk
    Now I was booting android x86 on it ,but I cannot boot because the boot screen is looking blurry 
  • S1003
    Please help me out of this
  • S1003
    I have tried to re install windows 10 using recovery drive.i have tried everything two times to recover from recovery drive
    Now I can't access anything on my pc because while installing android it is looking blurry 
  • S1003
    Help ! Please
  • S1003
    Pls help.       !!!!!
  • S1003
    I'm a student and I want watch my classes on it
  • JackE
    Please start your own thread for better response from the community. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ