next@acer 2020

Acer one 10 S1003 doesn't boot from windows bootable USB

mdx90mdx90 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2018 in Switch Series
Hello all

 I will apologies in advance for my English

So here is what happened, i bought Acer one 10 which comes with windows 10 pre-installed and i have installed linux on it, but due to some driver problem i decided to go back to windows 10, but guess what???
it doesn't boot, just keep boot looping.

things i have tried: boot from micro usb port, boot from Keyboard usb port, play little bit with UEFI settings
but no success!!

if you guys could help me out, i would be thankful

FAQ & Answers

  • SharanjiSharanji ACE Posts: 4,186 Pathfinder
    mdx90 

    Go to BIOS settings with F2 key
    Add the .efi file to the trusted UEFI files by selecting it and naming the option to whatever you want.
    Enable F12 boot menu.
    Exit saving changes.
    Tap F12 until you get boot menu.
    You will see your boot option there.


    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • mdx90mdx90 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Sharanji said:
    mdx90 

    Go to BIOS settings with F2 key
    Add the .efi file to the trusted UEFI files by selecting it and naming the option to whatever you want.
    Enable F12 boot menu.
    Exit saving changes.
    Tap F12 until you get boot menu.
    You will see your boot option there.


    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Thanks for reply

    i have tried but with no success :(
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 21,894 Trailblazer
    If you didn't delete the hidden ACER recovery partition, press and hold the power button to completely shut the machine off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. Follow directions as on this video to re-set the machine to factory fresh state. If it fails, we may have to alter partition sizes to original. Jack E/NJ






    Jack E/NJ
  • mdx90mdx90 Member Posts: 4 New User
    JackE said:
    If you didn't delete the hidden ACER recovery partition, press and hold the power button to completely shut the machine off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. Follow directions as on this video to re-set the machine to factory fresh state. If it fails, we may have to alter partition sizes to original. Jack E/NJ






    Unfortunately I did 
  • mdx90mdx90 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I remember once I successfully reinstalled windows 10 with no problem, don't know what happened now!
    It boots successfully from bootable Linux 
  • JordanBJordanB ACE Posts: 3,670 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    Since you have a 32 bit UEFI, I think you should try 32 bit windows.   If that doesn't work, try to boot a Gparted live USB and delete all of your partitions.  I'm not familiar with your computer model so I don't know what BIOS settings you should use.  Default maybe?  IDK

    Edit:  You can order your recovery media from Acer if you didn't create a recovery drive.

    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 21,894 Trailblazer
    >>>play little bit with UEFI settings>>>It boots successfully from bootable Linux  >>>

    What is the Linux distribution? Is it a Linux GPT partition FAT32 installation stick that you tried to install in UEFI mode  alongside Windows in dual boot? Or did you just delete all Windows stuff, installed Linux in UEFI mode on the drive hoping to boot Windows from a stick when needed?   Jack E/NJ

    Jack E/NJ
  • adesedasadesedas Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem.  My son tried to installed an Android distribution on a Acer one 10 S1003 and now keep looping.  I wanttogo back to Windows 10, but it has been a real problem.  I am about to order a recovery drive from Acer.  Where can I do that?
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 21,894 Trailblazer
    @adesedas Press and hold the power button till the machine completely shut off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the hidden ACER recovery partition is still intact, a recovery screen should appear as shown in the video below. It should allow re-setting the machine to a factory-fresh Win10 state. Jack E/NJ



    Jack E/NJ
  • vojtechhvojtechh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, after many long nights I have finally found the solution.

    First, let me say that this computer (if you can even call it that) is terrible. I have never worked with anything worse than this. Now onto the guide:

    Windows won't boot from the USB installation media at all, so you can't actually install windows on the thing. You will have to copy the installation over. For that we will use some linux magic and VirtualBox. So go ahead and download VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) on a different computer. Then you have to obtain the 32 bit Windows ISO (https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10ISO).

    Fire up VirtualBox and create a new Virtual Machine. The hard drive size should be about 28 GB. Then go to the settings of your VM and turn on EFI (System > Motherboard > Extended Features > Enable EFI). Then go ahead and boot your VM, select the ISO you've downloaded and proceed. Install Windows as you normally would but do not continue past the setup screen after reboot (the one where you pick your area). Press Shift+F10, cmd should pop up. Type in shutdown /s /t 0. The VM should shutdown.

    After that go to the installation folder of VirtualBox (C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\) and open cmd there. Type in VBoxManage.exe clonehd --format RAW source.vdi Windows.img where source.vdi is the virtual disk you've created when creating the VM and Windows.img is the output file that is going to be created (You can put it on the desktop so you don't have to open CMD as an Administrator). Once that is done, download Rufus (https://rufus.ie/), open it up and press the SELECT button. Select the Windows.img you have just exported using VBoxManage. Then select a USB drive (min. 32GB) you will use (this will wipe it and you will lose all your data, so backup). Get a coffee since this is going to take a while.

    Meanwhile rufus is burning the img onto the USB drive, download PuppyLinux (http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download > 32bit Ubuntu Bionic). Find another usb drive (this time it can be a small one, even 1 GB should work) and wait for the Rufus to finish the previous work. Don't close it yet, since we need it to burn puppy linux. Once again select it using the SELECT button and choose your smaller USB drive. It is important to select MBR as the partition scheme, since otherwise it won't boot. Once that is burned we are ready to boot it from the laptop/tablet.

    Plug both drives to your acer tablet (you need an USB OTG cabel for this) and turn it on while pressing the ESC key. A configuration screen should show up. Go to Boot From File and then find the USB drive with puppy linux. Boot from the 32bit .efi file. Click enter on all the Grub screens and you should get to the desktop. Open terminal and type in lsblk a list of storage media should show up. Then type in dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 status=progress  make sure to replace the X with a letter of the 32 gig USB drive from lsblk (mmcblk0 is the internal storage of the laptop, if that has a different name you have to change it according to the output from lsblk). Press enter and wait. Once this command completes you have successfully installed Windows on this terrible computer!

    Reboot and finish the windows setup. After that press the Windows Key+R and type in diskmgmt.msc, right click on the C: partition and extend it to the maximum size.

    The only thing left is to install all the drivers. Since there is no Wifi yet, you will have to copy them over. Luckily Acer has made an automatic installation of all the drivers (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6822?b=1 > Platform Drivers Installer). Once that is on the tablet, open cmd as root and cd to the Scripts folder of this driver package. Run the install file and wait for it to finish. Now all the drivers should be installed. Congrats.
  • DaveMartinelliDaveMartinelli Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks a lot vojtechh!! 
    You got it!!
    I have followed your steps and I have finally been able to install Windows 10 Pro on this odious tablet.

    Regards
  • OndrashekOndrashek Member Posts: 1 New User
    vojtechh said:
    Hello, after many long nights I have finally found the solution.

    First, let me say that this computer (if you can even call it that) is terrible. I have never worked with anything worse than this. Now onto the guide:

    Windows won't boot from the USB installation media at all, so you can't actually install windows on the thing. You will have to copy the installation over. For that we will use some linux magic and VirtualBox. So go ahead and download VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) on a different computer. Then you have to obtain the 32 bit Windows ISO (https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10ISO).

    Fire up VirtualBox and create a new Virtual Machine. The hard drive size should be about 28 GB. Then go to the settings of your VM and turn on EFI (System > Motherboard > Extended Features > Enable EFI). Then go ahead and boot your VM, select the ISO you've downloaded and proceed. Install Windows as you normally would but do not continue past the setup screen after reboot (the one where you pick your area). Press Shift+F10, cmd should pop up. Type in shutdown /s /t 0. The VM should shutdown.

    After that go to the installation folder of VirtualBox (C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\) and open cmd there. Type in VBoxManage.exe clonehd --format RAW source.vdi Windows.img where source.vdi is the virtual disk you've created when creating the VM and Windows.img is the output file that is going to be created (You can put it on the desktop so you don't have to open CMD as an Administrator). Once that is done, download Rufus (https://rufus.ie/), open it up and press the SELECT button. Select the Windows.img you have just exported using VBoxManage. Then select a USB drive (min. 32GB) you will use (this will wipe it and you will lose all your data, so backup). Get a coffee since this is going to take a while.

    Meanwhile rufus is burning the img onto the USB drive, download PuppyLinux (http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download > 32bit Ubuntu Bionic). Find another usb drive (this time it can be a small one, even 1 GB should work) and wait for the Rufus to finish the previous work. Don't close it yet, since we need it to burn puppy linux. Once again select it using the SELECT button and choose your smaller USB drive. It is important to select MBR as the partition scheme, since otherwise it won't boot. Once that is burned we are ready to boot it from the laptop/tablet.

    Plug both drives to your acer tablet (you need an USB OTG cabel for this) and turn it on while pressing the ESC key. A configuration screen should show up. Go to Boot From File and then find the USB drive with puppy linux. Boot from the 32bit .efi file. Click enter on all the Grub screens and you should get to the desktop. Open terminal and type in lsblk a list of storage media should show up. Then type in dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 status=progress  make sure to replace the X with a letter of the 32 gig USB drive from lsblk (mmcblk0 is the internal storage of the laptop, if that has a different name you have to change it according to the output from lsblk). Press enter and wait. Once this command completes you have successfully installed Windows on this terrible computer!

    Reboot and finish the windows setup. After that press the Windows Key+R and type in diskmgmt.msc, right click on the C: partition and extend it to the maximum size.

    The only thing left is to install all the drivers. Since there is no Wifi yet, you will have to copy them over. Luckily Acer has made an automatic installation of all the drivers (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6822?b=1 > Platform Drivers Installer). Once that is on the tablet, open cmd as root and cd to the Scripts folder of this driver package. Run the install file and wait for it to finish. Now all the drivers should be installed. Congrats.
    Hi Vojtechh,

    I had problem with puppylinux boot (no backlight + black screen), so I choose Clonezilla (disk to disk clone tool) and it works well too.  
  • StevenGenStevenGen Member Posts: 696 Seasoned Specialist
    The "Acer ONE" are a "NOTEBOOK" and are not made for any complicated OP's like Win-10 even though it comes with Win-10! I've had many unpleasant experiences with "Acer ONE" and they are and should be left alone (never upgrade them and/or change anything) leave them at their OEM specs and used them appropriately! 
  • aruntaarunta Member Posts: 1 New User
    Finally! Latest Ubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS works very well on this netbook (except for WiFi and Bluetooth, for which I use a USB WiFi dongle).

    The default desktop of Ubuntu (called Unity) is a bit heavy and lagging on this feeble machine and I would recommend the Xubuntu flavor which works really well and reasonably fast. I am happy that I could rescue this netbook with Xubuntu 20.04 and a WiFi USB dongle. Just make a USB bootable thumbdrive for Xubuntu 20.04 with Rufus or any such tool and boot into it by pressing F2 during power up. Just wipe the system clean and installation is a breeze. Note that you won't have Internet during install, which is OK because you can later plugin your USB WiFi dongle and update the system. Just make sure the USB WiFi dongle you use is supported by Linux.
  • kimasskimass Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, I have a huge problem with my Acer s1002. It is impossible to boot into existing windows 10, or to install a new fresh one. I can go to safe mode and that is all.
    I've tried everything - chkdsk, defrag via cmd, use third party programs in safe mode but still nothing. 
    The problem related to this topic is that I don't have an option to boot from file (F12). Also by pushing esc nothing happens. Boot menu appears only with F12.

    Any suggestions?

  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 21,894 Trailblazer
    Try resetting the laptop by pressing ALT+F10 immediately after turning the machine on. Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
  • kimasskimass Member Posts: 2 New User
    @JackE

    I've tried that many times. Reset is not possible - messages show up there is not enough disk space. When I cleaned the disk, an error occurred that resetting is not possible.
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 21,894 Trailblazer
    >>>show up there is not enough disk space.>>>

    You can use a 8GB to 16GB NTFS formatted SD card for the temporary space needed for a Win10 reset or re-installation to complete. Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online1.1K

AlanPaes
AlanPaes
Astosseras
Astosseras
Benwifi
Benwifi
BLynn94
BLynn94
Caro21
Caro21
Credet
Credet
cricri159
cricri159
cybersurf
cybersurf
Doowopper
Doowopper
egydiocoelho
egydiocoelho
fmonteiro
fmonteiro
lilAE
lilAE
MaClane
MaClane
Maersi
Maersi
MarcosZy
MarcosZy
MateusEduardo94
MateusEduardo94
Mech
Mech
nicoadamo
nicoadamo
oghacy
oghacy
Omega2020
Omega2020
RalfMe
RalfMe
rmpinho
rmpinho
steve999
steve999
Thiago610
Thiago610
TINOX
TINOX
VitorAC
VitorAC
+1.1K Guests

Join in, share your experience!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assistance by Acer


Drivers &
Manuals

Acer
Answers

Get Product Information
( only)

Acer Support
Videos

Member Highlight

We want to recognize GAMING6698's dedicated efforts in the Acer Community. GAMING6698 has become one of the main collaborators since joining the Community in November of 2019.
On behalf of all our users and the Acer Team, we thank you for your dedication!

Total Posts and Comments: 3319

Total Points:5757

Total Accepted Answers: 290

GAMING6698 Mainframe Wrangler