Acer Aspire R7-372T touchpad Issue: Hardware or Software problem?

Xxswifterxx
Xxswifterxx Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
To those who own an Aspire R7-372T with the annoying touchpad issue, do yall think its a hardware or software issue? 
Background: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/507063/acer-aspire-r7-372t-touchpad-moving-and-clicking-on-its-own

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    edited April 2018
    If a factory re-set doesn't fix the issue before a Win10update has a chance to install and mess it up again, then it's likely a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xxswifterxx
    I think its a software issue, Got my touchpad replaced by acer 3 times and its still happening!
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    I think its a software issue, Got my touchpad replaced by acer 3 times and its still happening!
    Hi,
    Have you tried disabling touchscreen feature to observe the touchpad behaviour? If not give it a try, have a look at this thread for some third party driver for touchscreen, I don't recommend third party sites for drivers but if you want to try at your own risk, please do so.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/301926/acer-aspire-r7-572-touchscreen-mouse-pointer-randomly-jumps-all-over-the-screen
  • Xxswifterxx
    Just tried to disable the touch screen (Fn+F11) and tried moving the touchpad, issue still persist.
    Does not seem to be a touch screen issue. Problems occurs when im using the touchpad alone.
    (Tried to update the IC2 drivers but issue still occurs) 
  • JackE
    Did you do the ALT+F10 coldboot factory reset  ****BEFORE**** Win10 has a chance to install an update? ****BEFORE**** means you will probably have to shut off your router to prevent Win10 from auto-installing the update. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• Xxswifterxx
    Do I fully clean the drive or just remove the files? 
  • JackE
    OK. Before proceeding with a re-set, check Device Manager for a touchpad rollback option. If the option doesn't exist or work, then I'd make a backup of the system and then fully clean it by the ALT+F10 method. That way a hardware issue is either ruled in or ruled out. But make sure the router is off so a Win10update won't happen. When you decide to turn the router back on, make sure "system protection" is enabled so a "restore point" is automatically created by Win10update. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xxswifterxx
    This is the "touchpad" driver that is installed, feels like it should be updated but it isnt.

Does this mouse driver have any effect? (tried uninstalling/disabling it and touchpad still responsive)

These drivers also affect the touchpad but seem outdated

These are the only drivers that have different versions.

These are the different version available.

Something to note is that 9D60 can be uninstalled and the touchpad is still responsive, revert the drivers to 4/5/15 but issue still persist. 
  • Xxswifterxx
    Did a re-set. 
    Touchpad became normal. 
    Created a restore point. 
    Connected to the internet. 
    Tried testing the touchpad. (Placed a tiny droplet of water on the touchpad and moved it around alittle, --> this SHOULD and did make the touch pad jumpy. Fn+F7 to disable the touch pad, cleaned the water off with tissue, Fn+F7 again to enable the touchpad. Works normally.)
    Starts uninstalling bloatware that came with windoes.
    Issue came back again. 
    Restored windows back to saved point. 
    Issue came back again :( 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    edited May 2018
    Hi,
    I think it's a driver conflict that causes the problem, you could try uninstalling one of the I2C HID Devices under Human Interface Devices, also try to uninstall PS/2 Compatible mouse driver under Mice and other pointing devices.
  • Xxswifterxx
    Hi,
    I think it's a driver conflict that causes the problem, you could try uninstalling one of the I2C HID Devices under Human Interface Devices, also try to uninstall PS/2 Compatible mouse driver under Mice and other pointing devices.
    Uninstalled the IC2 HID for 9D60 and PS/2 but they reinstalled themselves after a restart. Maybe they have a role to play? 
    The PS/2 is a hidden device which works when changing the touch pad to basic function in the bios settings. 
    (With regards to the bios settings, when I change the touchpad from advance to basic nothing seems to be happening, like the settings for the touch pad remains the same which should not. - Acer replaced mine with a brand new one but this issue is still occuring :( )
  • JackE
    @Xxswifterxx>>>Starts uninstalling bloatware that came with windoes.>>>>

Who or what *******starts******* uninstalling bloatware!!!!!????? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xxswifterxx
    JackE said:
    @Xxswifterxx>>>Starts uninstalling bloatware that came with windoes.>>>>

Who or what *******starts******* uninstalling bloatware!!!!!????? Jack E/NJ

Oh, I start uninstalling the bloat ware lol. 

Okay but after some gaming on the laptop, the touchpad seems fine 🤔. (The laptop feels hot)

Could it be cold temperature affects it? Since I'm usually using it in the office?
  • JackE
    @Xxswifterxx>>>Oh, I start uninstalling the bloat ware lol>>>> Issue came back again. >>>

Hmmmm------Do you perhaps see the same thing I see? =)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xxswifterxx
    Are you suggesting that removal of bloatware causes the touch pad to be jumpy? So software issue? 🤔
  • JackE
    Bingo! It certainly does not seem like a hardware or conflicting software issue to me! Some of the so-called ACER "bloatware" may contain ACER-specific hardware drivers like for the touchpad. As long as the true bloatware isn't running in RAM background slowing things up, just forget about unstalling it from your HDD. It's not hurting anything and your HDD probably has far more than enough excess capacity to store this bloat than you'll ever notice. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Xxswifterxx
    What about software such as "Amazon", "Avast secure line", "eBay worldwide", "foxit Phantom pdf", "kindle", "wild tabfent games". 
    Would they be safe to uninstall? 
    Coz the few Acer bloatware that I uninstalled are : "Acer portal", "abFiles", "abPhotos"
  • JackE
    If it were mine, I'd make sure system protection was enabled so restore points would be created. Then I'd only uninstall one bloatware program at a time. Then I'd wait a day or so to make sure everything still seems to be working OK before moving on to uninstall the next bloatware program. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• InfoQubeIM
    InfoQubeIM Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have 2 R7-372T and both exhibit the issue at times.
    On both of these, one thing is clear: Issue is much worse on battery than plugged in.
    Also, cleaning the touchpad and/or adding a piece of paper over it helps it quite a bit. It is clearly overly sensitive.

Finally, keeping a space between fingers works best. It seems that the driver / hardware has issues with fingers being close together.

Pierre